indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

sakanda
User
spacer line

I stayed in Bukit Lawang for a month and loved the place and am considering a move. However how realistic would it be for me to run a business there in regards to the guesthouse/bar industry? I live in SE Asia at the minute and this is the industry I have experience in.
Is it advisable(possible) to rent/lease the land?
How would visas work? Would I have to leave every two months?

Any help on this one would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Sakanda,
Very interested to see you spent one month in Bukit Lawang and that you are female.
I sincerely hope you did not fall in love with one of the locals and this is your motivation for wanting to open a place there.
If so, I would tread very carefully.
I have spent a lot of time in that village of BL and spent years on the internet helping the village after the flood of 2003, so I know how easily it is for females to get caught up in wanting to open a place there because some local has captured their heart.
You are more than welcome to email me at pamela_fugeRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.yahoo.com.au to discuss this further privately.
Sincerely Pamela

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 08-07-2010 17:28 sakanda wrote:
I stayed in Bukit Lawang for a month and loved the place and am considering a move. However how realistic would it be for me to run a business there in regards to the guesthouse/bar industry? ......
Any help on this one would be much appreciated!

I don´t think you´re going to appreciate my advice but first learn to deal with the local preman (= maffia) because everything is in their hands. And after 2003 this premanism only became worse. Avoid the long-haired local cowboys/gigolos because they play under a cap with the mafia.
Find yourself a decent Indonesian businesspartner outside this village, without you´re not going to make it.

sakanda
User
spacer line

Thanks for your honest replies.
No Pamela has nothing to do with any local although don't get me wrong one or two did try it on!
I did however overall like the people there as a whole.
I found that the area has alot of potential and so therefore worthwhile looking more into.
I have been keeping an eye out on another place in SE Asia for a while now and really felt Bukit Lawang ticked the boxes for me.

Thanks for the info about the local mafia Yogya-Bali, we have a similar way here in cambodia so there is the usual 'fees' and 'understandings'. In what way do the preman effect businesses though? Violence? Not allowing anyone to use ur business? or in general making life difficult for you?

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

50,057,151 topic views - 222,308 posts - 13,490 topics - 16,281 members - last post @ 26-09-2017 23:41 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

90,182,057 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com