indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Blog @ indahnesia.com > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

BlogBlot
User
spacer line

Ten million tourists in 2014?
Published on 24 October 2009 12:46
The minister of Culture and Tourism, Jero Wacik, has said that Indonesia would plan on attracting ten million visitors to the country in 2014. Although targets are often set in Indonesian tourism, they are rarely met, but this does not refrain the minister, just inaugurated for his second term, from setting high goals for his department.
Continue reading , click the title

hobo1
User
spacer line

Typical Indonesian statement (exaggerate the truth) and an ill-prepared government if such projections happen to come true. At some point Bali is going to be "full"! The traffic is already terrible. The major tourism destinations are already way over-developed. That's okay if you are an European Mediterranean resort, but it's not okay if your charm is a remote tropical island. Granted some people like the grand resort atmosphere with its shopping and nightclubs. But I've got to believe many people come to Bali looking for terraced rice fields and unspoiled panoramic views. With 10 million tourists (statistics show most go to Bali) where is the government program to attract these people to the beaches on the north, east and west?

I know that the Gili Islands on Lombok changed from a sleepy beach town to a crowded resort area in the past 3-4 years. Amazing what a few hundred thousand tourists can do to a place! And the rest of Lombok is totally unprepared to pick up any extra tourists. This last July-August every room on the island was filled - and that includes far off places like Kuta Lombok and Sekotong.

This sort of rapid growth is going to bring in foreign capital with foreign franchises - from hotels to fast food restaurants. And with that will come foreign architecture (mostly Western, resort- ugly). The serenity of Hindu, Balinese architecture will be lost in the crowd.

Hideaway Bungalow in Kuta Lombok - check my homepage

IndoHound
User
spacer line

In a way, we all should be happy that the government is so incompetent. We have more freedom here and expenses are lower than most other similarly developed countries on earth. Also crime is far lower here and for anyone who gets seriously sick, and can afford it, can fly to Singers, Malaysia or LOS.

But I disgress...

For people willing to put the effort in, they can find unspoiled beautiful areas in Indonesia. Just don't expect cheeseburgers from room service at three o'clock in the morning or shuttle bus service to different tourist attractions and then back to the hotel and a shower before dinner in the hotel restaurant before the obligatory and pre-paid cultural program of native dancers and singers.

Let mass tourism be concentrated in the bottom half of Gianyar province, parts of Kuta, Yogya, Bunaken Island and Jalan Jaksa. For us residents, expats and temporary residents who occasionaly experience 'la nostalgie de la boue' we know where it is and can always got to find it. Emoticon: Yummie!

hobo1
User
spacer line

Very good point.. for those of us who live here (in my case Lombok), I am not concerned about finding a secluded place to get away. There are many.

In fact, what the heck do I care if one tourist or 10 million tourists arrive and are massively disappointed with his/her first impression. I don't rely on tourists for an income or anything else. If worse comes to worse, I can always move to another island!

And you are right about health care - really cheap. US$150 to set a broken leg bone, put on a cast, rent a wheel chair for a month, and give me all the meds I want. And if I want more, I just go buy them at the apotik without a prescription.

You are right - I lost my head for a moment. We all know the government is never going to change, but I like getting a driver's license in an hour (as long as I slip in a little cigarette money). Everybody else can sit in the hot sun all day.

Emoticon: Party! Hurray, I forgot why I was here . Who needs room service? I have two maids that can cook almost anything (except hamburgers!). Thanks for the wake up call Emoticon: Stupid

IndoHound
User
spacer line

Emoticon: Bye bye if you are who I think you are.

Your two maids aren't called 'oblok' and 'ebleck' are they? Emoticon: Confused

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 24-10-2009 16:25 hobo1 wrote: That's okay if you are an European Mediterranean resort,
And that is what Bali already is for years...nothing else.

but it's not okay if your charm is a remote tropical island..........many people come to Bali looking for terraced rice fields and unspoiled panoramic views.
No, not any longer. Most of the nowadays tourists only want to see the ricefields as decoration but for the rest they want the same things like in Spain or any other Mediterranean country. Things has definitely changed a lot the last decade. As a person who is (partly) active in the tourism sector, I've seen (and feel) the change quite obvious in the last 15 years: from cultural interested tourists to fun-beach-disco-luxe-outdining type of tourists with only a little bit of culture (actually folklore) for showing at home that they've been in Asia and not at the Mediterranean coast.

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Hobo1, if you're not living in Senggigi, Kuta or on the Gili islands, you don't have to be afraid of a big influx of tourists because islam is not selling well outside (except for some horny arabs who know where they can get the young girls, even in Lombok).

hobo1
User
spacer line

On 24 October 2009 19:21 IndoHound wrote:
Emoticon: Bye bye if you are who I think you are.

Your two maids aren't called 'oblok' and 'ebleck' are they? Emoticon: Confused

You are mistaken, I my maids are not named oblok or ebleck. Is that Bahasa Bali for some sort of prostitute?

On 25 October 2009 02:47 Yogya-Bali wrote:
And that is what Bali already is for years...nothing else.
No, not any longer. Most of the nowadays tourists only want to see the ricefields as decoration but for the rest they want the same things like in Spain or any other Mediterranean country. Things has definitely changed a lot the last decade. As a person who is (partly) active in the tourism sector, I've seen (and feel) the change quite obvious in the last 15 years: from cultural interested tourists to fun-beach-disco-luxe-outdining type of tourists with only a little bit of culture (actually folklore) for showing at home that they've been in Asia and not at the Mediterranean coast.

I've often wondered if that is the case. I follow the Thorntree form pretty closely, and I constantly hear someone say "After many years of dreaming about making the trip, I finally am traveling to Bali. Can someone tell me the best things to see and do?" I have to believe these people are attracted to the mystic of Bali - and I am guessing they will be quite disappointed. I know for myself that 10 years ago I came to Bali expecting to find paradise - and the first thing I saw was McDonalds. That was not what I was looking for.

But I guess there are a lot of young people who come to Bali because they are more aware of... and attracted to... the party scene. I appreciate your observations on that subject.

On 25 October 2009 02:56 Yogya-Bali wrote:
Hobo1, if you're not living in Senggigi, Kuta or on the Gili islands, you don't have to be afraid of a big influx of tourists because islam is not selling well outside (except for some horny arabs who know where they can get the young girls, even in Lombok).

I was one of the first expats to move to Kuta in the year 2000. Thanks to events like the NYC 9/11 event, the bomb in Bali, and a string of other misfortunes, like SARS, etc. Kuta Lombok has remain relatively unchanged over the years. However, with the new airport being built, everybody is bracing themselves for a big influx of tourists - with our without the Arabs.

That's okay, I already have a nice place picked out just south of Rinjani which is filled with fresh water springs and wonderfully peaceful. I'm not adverse to moving again.
P.S. No young girl prostitutes in the South of Lombok yet. The traditional tribal culture still rules in this place. The elders are not adverse to cutting off a head or two for breaking with tradition.

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 25-10-2009 09:05 hobo1 wrote: Can someone tell me the best things to see and do?"
That shows already that these kind of tourists are not really interested in Bali, otherwise they would have known already where to go to and been reading about the island and its culture long before departure.

But I guess there are a lot of young people who come to Bali because they are more aware of... and attracted to... the party scene.
100%. I know quite a lot of young and middle-aged people from Holland who visit Bali almost every year. They're completely not interested in the culture or nature but pure in the party- (and surf) scene. Even the European pensionada's (expats) are more interested in having a nice time on the beach every afternoon (with a bottle of beer) without any interest at all for the locals.
Also a lot of so-called Indo's (Eurasians from Holland) and Dutch Moluccan people who are coming to Indonesia searching for their roots, finally ends up in Bali in the party-and spa scene, forgetting the place of their roots (which is definitely not Bali). The next year they're returning only to Bali without visiting their "roots" on Ambon or Jawa anymore.
Then you have still the "spiritual" trips to Ubud (which "town" is proclaimed in Indonesia as the most western place in the whole of Indonesia), instead of going to certain places elsewhere in Indonesia where it is 100% more and pure "spiritual" then this commercial thing in Ubud. These spiritual tourists pretend that they're going native and respect the culture but they can only survive with restaurants like Ary's, Wayang, Lotus, Casa Luna and Deli Cat, etc. So finally they don't differ that much from the south-coast goers.

hobo1
User
spacer line

That's very interesting. In Kuta Lombok, the expats are much more involved with the local community. Most of the expats arrive here single (both men and women), and frequently marry a local spouse within a few years after they arrive. The wedding ceremony is held in the traditional ways with all the traditional clothes, etc. It's quite common to hire a pembantu (or maid) who is a member of the local spouse's family.

The result of all that is we are exposed to family members (which often number in the 100's). Most expats will not participate in local family activities and parties because they are painfully boring. From time to time a group of us will get together at a restaurant for dinner and a beer. Other than that, surfing is the main activity. A lot of the Aussies will stay here half the year, and return to Oz for the second half.

The young tourists are either surfers, or "eco-tourists". A lot of middle age and older tourists will come here just to chill out after living 11 months a year in the work place rat race. Some of the tourists are Dutch, but we get more tourists from Europe, America, and all other countries around the world.

We get a lot of middle aged Japanese women who come alone to meet with the local gigolos. These women really have money to burn and they buy their local boyfriends expensive motorcycles and often give family members expensive handphones, etc. I'd like to get my hands on one of Japanese gals - but they want the dark skinned, 25 year old guys who can pound away all night!

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

76,108,224 topic views - 234,287 posts - 13,691 topics - 25,167 members - last post @ 17-10-2019 14:51 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

124,551,139 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com