indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jakarta, the Big Durian > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

pimpam
User
spacer line

I'll be staying in Jakarta for 2 months and would like to do some kind of volunteering whilst there. Where to look for volunteer work opportunities in Jakarta?

guna2
User
User icon of guna2
spacer line

Sorry to have to disappoint you, Pimpam, but you'll need a work permit if you want to work - yes, also as a volunteer. You can ignore the regulations, but, according to rumour, there are a few civil servants in this country who think their salaries are not high enough.

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

You are not allowed to work, even volunteering is work, so you have to spend your time in another way, which should be no problem in Jakarta and it's surrounding areas.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi pimpam,
What are you actually in Jakarta for? Just staying with friends or will you be working?
Pamela

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

If you have a lot of money, otherwise it's the worst place to be in RI. Coming there already for more then 3 decades but I cannot understand anymore that people are spending their holiday overthere. unless you like part-party and disco ......then it is the place to go.

pimpam
User
spacer line

That is dissapointing to hear :( The work permit for Indonesia is quite a challenge from what I've come to understand. My friend has spend over 6 months getting one.
And yeah Ill just be visiting friends. Will be fun but I would have enjoyed doing something useful besides karaoke and eat, eat, eat Emoticon: Smile

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

If you have a proper sponsor (at least PT company) and you meet all demands set by the immigration office and the Office of Manpower, your KITAS and working permit should be ready in less than one month (not counting national holidays)

If you are looking for something to do, you should go outside. Enough to see in and around Jakarta if you ask me, just depends what you are looking for. Emoticon: Nice

Leonard
User
spacer line

Pimpan,
obviously it is not allowed to work as a volunteer without permit. There is a certainly some risk. When I think of the risk to use an "ojek" in the center of Jakarta I suppose the first kind of risk is relatively small.
I took both risks and sometimes went by ojek to my volunteer work. I gave English conversation at several catholic schools in and outside Jakarta. And I enjoyed it very much. There was no pay, but I was greatly rewarded by the enthousiasm of my 14 and 15 year old students.
I am not a teacher at all, I am not even English. But teachers in the street asked me to join them to their school for conversation lessons. I cannot advise you though how to meet the right teachers

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

49,929,256 topic views - 222,143 posts - 13,486 topics - 16,235 members - last post @ 21-09-2017 17:09 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

89,998,941 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com