indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Tickets, airlines and transport > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Antoni
User
spacer line

Can anyone tell me how much (Kg) bagage you can take to Indonesia with Garuda and especially the rate of extra bagage ?
Thanks.

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

max amount depends on your ticket, probably 20 or 30 kilo's. Don't know about overweight. Probably not cheap though.

Richy
User
User icon of Richy
spacer line

You can find the amount of accepted luggage on your ticket at the right side in the colomn allow. Garuda is not a typical airliner which is complaining about every kilo overweight. With the right talking you can arrange a lot... with a GA freq flying card you can even take (what i thought) 10 kg more...

"Veel mensen hebben een te hoge dunk van wat ze niet zijn, en een te geringe dunk van wat ze wel zijn".

orchidart
User
spacer line

A ticket from IATA could take even more than aprox.45 kilos (incl. hand luggage), with Garuda....

Roy
User
User icon of Roy
spacer line

The rate is 1,5 % of your ticketprice per kilo overweight. I called the Garuda office in Jakarta. Last vacation I had 3 kilos overweight and that was no problem.

Antoni
User
spacer line

Now i know there is not a single and simple straight answer to my question which in fact i asked for a friend of mine who was leaving Holland after a holiday. She had an overweight of 15 kg while she was allowed to take only 20 kg according to her ticket. So the exact weight of her luggage was 35 kg.Since the price of overweight (in this case) was +/- 20 usd for every extra kg it would cost her about 300 usd !!. So we decided to take our chance and watched what would happen. I could always take the overweight back with me and take it with my next trip to Indonesia. But to our suprise Garuda didn`t make a point about the overweight Emoticon: Confused Don`t ask me why, they didn`t gave a reason. Wow ,sometimes i`m not so happy with the way Indonesians manage certain things but in this case ......what can i say! I wish the Dutch would be more flexible in this kind of matters Emoticon: Smile

HorasBatak
User
User icon of HorasBatak
spacer line

On 23-09-2004 14:15 Antoni wrote:
. ....what can i say! I wish the Dutch would be more flexible in this kind of matters Emoticon: Smile

You are right,
Blessed are the Dutch who where very flexible in Volendam & Enschede.
Have you ever thought about the reason that the IATA has limited for Economy flyers ( the largest group on board) the luguage freedom up to 20KG ?
Maybe because overweight might create a problem if a pilot has almost no fuel left after a intercontinental flight and bad weather on the arrival airport can force him to make cirkels in the sky. Or if a pilot has to fly in bad weather conditions over mountains, the overweight can be a cause to hit a mountain instead of getting over it.

Sometimes safety regulations are very logical.

Kepala botak tapi dengan otak

orchidart
User
spacer line

Just take as much as you need...like me..;-)
Last time I went to Indonesia, I took almost 55 kilos, but they didn't charge me any single kilo....
And when I went back to Holland, I took almost the same weight....
I bought a ticket at bali Indah Travel in Den Haag (www.indah.nl)

Richy
User
User icon of Richy
spacer line

On 23-09-2004 21:27 HorasBatak wrote:
[...]

...Maybe because overweight might create a problem if a pilot has almost no fuel left after a intercontinental flight and bad weather on the arrival airport can force him to make cirkels in the sky. Or if a pilot has to fly in bad weather conditions over mountains, the overweight can be a cause to hit a mountain instead of getting over it.

Sometimes safety regulations are very logical.

In one way I agree with you that passengers should take their responsibilities of what they are taking of weight onboard an aircraft. Everybody wants to fly cheap and if an aircraft have to carry extra fuel onboard because of all that extra weight it will be eventually charged to the passenger.

An commercial airliner is always working according a certain fuel policy so it not possible that a commercial aircraft is running out of fuel during flight. There are too many safety systems/ itmes build in this procedure too let this happen. Even your example with hitting a mountain can be concluded as omong kosong.

The explanation is very simple an aircraft is not allowed to take off with overweight. If the amount of required fuel can not be put in the aircraft because it exceeds its maximum take off weight something else has to be decreased. Well there are two possibilities. Offloading cargo/baggage or passengers. This last option you can sometimes experience by yourself at long-haul flights to, for example, Indonesia. At check-in the employees announce the aircraft is overbooked but when you board the aircraft you still see some empty rows.

At last I totally agree with you that safety regulations are very logical.

"Veel mensen hebben een te hoge dunk van wat ze niet zijn, en een te geringe dunk van wat ze wel zijn".

spacer line  

Emoticon: Wink Richy...you are quite correct about the fuel onboard---its called weight and balance--- thats why it is very important to get the correct amount of weight in regards of passengers,baggages- mail and cargo-- the long haul=non-stop flights from the West-coast of the US to the Far East have weather problems--strong winds etc..its also true the statement you wrote about a NOT so full aircraft-- overbooked flight---- I rather have enough/correct amount of fuel on board then ditching an aircraft somewhere in the ocean-not pleasant I assume..
Mahalo nui loa ........ Localmotion Emoticon: Bye bye Emoticon: Bye bye

Richy
User
User icon of Richy
spacer line

On 25-09-2004 07:55 Localmotion wrote:
Emoticon: Wink Richy...you are quite correct about the fuel onboard---its called weight and balance---

Of course Iím familiar with these procedures and I can give everybody the full details of the weight & balance of an commercial aircraft but I think this is not the right forum for it Emoticon: Wink Emoticon: Yes! The purpose of my reply is absolutely not to attack Horasbattack personally. In my opinion it is very important too write correct information/facts about aviation. Non experienced travellers can easily panic if they read in this forum, for example, that an aircraft can hit a mountain if it has overweight. Again in theory this canít happen because it will never leave the ground with any overweight. Furthermore there are dozens of procedures and safety systems onboard too avoid problems if an aircraft is flying near high terrain. Risk doesnít exist in aviation.
Again I want to say, in general, be careful what you write down in a forum. It is unnecessary to make in this way visitors stressed for their 15 hour journey to (for example) Indonesia. Emoticon: Bye bye

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

83,432,873 topic views - 239,784 posts - 13,723 topics - 32,143 members - last post @ 10-07-2020 21:37 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2020
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

136,039,417 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com