indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Tickets, airlines and transport > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

xtrapol
User
User icon of xtrapol
spacer line

There are some cheaper options to get to Indonesia from Europe. Now that Garuda has disposed of all European routes, this is a big obstacle:

Japan Airlines and Korean Air regularly fly to Jakarta and very often have discounted flights from some cities in Europe to Jakarta via Tokyo Narita or Seoul International. I reccomend this option if it's available. This is also the best way to get to Indonesia from the US - although North West Airlines is used and has its hub in Tokyo Narita.

Air France is a little more expensive but that has flights to Jakarta via Singapore, but one advantage is they have a partnership with Garuda for domestic Indonesian travel - so you often you get a cheaper price if you plan on doing traveling outside Bali, Jakarta as well.

KLM is convienient because it has so many flights to Jakarta, but it really can be expensive.

The other option is to take any airline to Singapore - almost all the Euro carriers fly there. For the cheapest travel, try Aeroflot, Turkish Airways, LOT polish, and SAS scandinavian airlines to Bangkok or Singapore. Then buy a cheap domestic ticket on a regional airline (eg. Lion Air, Silk Air, Air Paradise, Bouraq Airlines). The problem with this is during peak tourist times - it's hard to get that short flight from Singpare or Bangkok to Jakarta or Bali. I flew to Europe often from Jakarta - and found this is the cheapest, but most unconvenient.

There's another option too. Continental Micronesia is a Pacific-based American airline that has some flights to Bali. Their mother company - Continental Airways - has many flights from Europe to America. I know some people have done this but it is a long, long flight and you have to stopover a lot. But during off-time - it can be quite cheap.

One last option - explore some of the Chinese airlines. I know one person who did something like this - but it was quite a while ago and I don't know the details. EVA air, China Eastern, China Southern, Chinese Airlines, and Air China all flew to Jakarta at some stage. I don't know if they still do. But some of them have connecting flights to Europe via a Chinese city or Taipei.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

xtrapol
User
User icon of xtrapol
spacer line

Sorry... I have some more options....

Lauda Air or Austrian Airlines (I know they merged recently but don't know if their routes have changed) had a service to Denpasar, Bali in November 2003.... I don't know if they still do. Considering this airline isn't publicised - it may be expensive - or no longer exist.

Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific Hong Kong are quite expensive but they have the best Asian coverage from Europe.

There's also Lufthansa.... totally forgot about this. They are the main European carrier along with KLM for flights to Europe. The good thing about Lufthansa is its in the Star Alliance network - so it's easy to get a flight any where in Asia from Jakarta, Singapore, Manila or Bankok because of Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways.

One more: British airways or Qantas. These are in the One World network. This includes Cathay Pacific so jakarta and Bali is well covered by both Qantas and Cathay Pacific from Singapore. British Airways does not fly to Indonesia.

The problem with the carriers in the big Airline Alliances eg. Star Alliance, One World, and the KLM-Air France team is they cater to the number of destinations rather than the price. This applies to Lufthansa, Singapore, Cathay, Qantas, British, Air France, KLM, Thai, and sometimes SAS and Korean Air. Im not saying you can't get a cheap flight - but often it's difficult.

It's usually the less obvious routes and airlines which are not as popular which will be the cheapest. Japan Airlines via Tokyo is quite good. The Eastern European airlines - as shit as they are (really) - they are the cheapest. So if you really do have an issue with airticket money - explore these options...

xtrapol
User
User icon of xtrapol
spacer line

One more!!!! Check out ROUND THE WORLD airfares. These are sometimes cheaper than return flights from Europe to Asia + you get to see a little bit of the world.

budowono1
User
spacer line

Singapore Airline is a simuler flight company to Garuda
Malaysia Airlines also i dont trust the other companies

xtrapol
User
User icon of xtrapol
spacer line

Mate, I'm a student. I don't fly Aeroflot because it's fun - I fly it because I get to the same place, at pretty much the same time, $600 cheaper.

Cheers

Richy
User
User icon of Richy
spacer line

On 10-09-2004 12:42 budowono1 wrote:
Singapore Airline is a simuler flight company to Garuda
Malaysia Airlines also i dont trust the other companies

Please tell me in ****name how you can compare SIA and Malaysian with Garuda... You can't compare them in any way!

"Veel mensen hebben een te hoge dunk van wat ze niet zijn, en een te geringe dunk van wat ze wel zijn".

Albert H
User
User icon of Albert H
spacer line

Sorry Budowono1, Richy has right. I don't fly with Malaysia. I go mostly with Singapore Airlines and sometimes with Garuda.
Total differents. Also the ticketprice.

budowono1
User
spacer line

perhaps in price but they are al 3 superiorly trained flyers.
these pilots have amore intenced and focused training and there for a greater name than lets say KLM or Lufthansa cause these flights have abig ego but the fact is they are les trained than these 3.
Garda.Sing.Mas are simular in quality and im not talking aboud the price

budowono1
User
spacer line

Oh yah Gue lupa maaf ya also these all fly straight cause they fly the same traject

xtrapol
User
User icon of xtrapol
spacer line

Ur point?

gulpener
User
User icon of gulpener
spacer line

I think the point is : GA sux ? Emoticon: Yes! LOL!
or was he implying to KLM instead?
If I've given the choice, I wouldnt even consider to fly KLM to Asia unless with those triple sevens .
Err..BTW dont you think that you are torcuring yourself if you fly from USA to get to Asia if you are from Europe juz to get that best deal?
I would rather pay a lil more for comfy matey. Not that I have money to burn .. Emoticon: Puh!

apa saja...

joostH
User
spacer line

I had no problem with KLM. It has special student prices so its not that expensive. I payed 800 euro for a 1 year ticket, not to expensive i think. Also it always has open seats, i changed my return date around 9 times Emoticon: Puh! . and never had a problem with a no aviable seats.

spacer line  

Xtrapol

wow, Mate! i'm all gagged out here.. how can u be so knowledgeable of all the flight routes from pretty much everywhere around the world heading Indonesia? You must have traveled back and forth Indonesia alot, haven't you?

I wasnt the one who inquired about cheaper flights but your effort of explaining them is so applaudable

astounded,

adrian

hex00000
User
spacer line

On 10-09-2004 19:46 Richy wrote:
[...]

Please tell me in ****name how you can compare SIA and Malaysian with Garuda... You cant compare them in any way!

You are very right Richy;

Etienne Hex

hex00000
User
spacer line

Hi all,
when flying to indonesia, i buy all my tickets in belgium; tickets are much cheaper there then in the Netherlands; i just came back from idonesia by Malaysian Airlines; i paid for my tickets 720 euro (taxes included), for the following flights: Amsterdam>Kuala Lumpur > Surabaya > Mataram (Lombok, with Garuda) > Denpasar (with Merpati) > Kuala Lumpur > Amsterdam;

Etienne Hex

hex00000
User
spacer line

On 22-10-2004 18:16 Gegenseitigkeit wrote:
Xtrapol

wow, Mate! im all gagged out here.. how can u be so knowledgeable of all the flight routes from pretty much everywhere around the world heading Indonesia? You must have traveled back and forth Indonesia alot, havent you?

I wasnt the one who inquired about cheaper flights but your effort of explaining them is so applaudable

astounded,

adrian

Maybe xtrapol only surfing the net looking for the cheapest prices; i hardly can imagine he travels that much;
even if he flies for the lowest prices, he must be a very fortunate student;

Etienne Hex

xtrapol
User
User icon of xtrapol
spacer line

Thanks for the nice response, Adrian.

Hex, I haven't been on every flight I've listed, but I am trying to help people who might want to visit Indonesia, but don't want to pay the price of a standard ticket. As for me not travelling much, I lived in Jakarta for 18 years. Was in and out of the country all the time. Go figure.

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

JAL is quite expensive from the US...

But I guess it all depends on when (peak/high season) you are going and what is your departure city.

You can fly for only $ 600 or $ 700 RT to Jakarta or Bali from SFO or LA (San Francisco/Los Angeles), but you will pay more if you fly from Atlanta.

Desi Clark

Effort and Courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

xtrapol
User
User icon of xtrapol
spacer line

Hi Desi

Are you serious? $700 to Jakarta from LA?? That's cheaper than flying from Sydney.

Getting to Indonesia from the states is kinda hard, right? I think itne years ago Garuda was banned from flights to the US and US airlines were banned from Indonesia or something. So does that leave the choice to Delta and Northwest?

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

Hey XPol,

This year, I flew by Korean Airlines (direct flight) from Atlanta - Korea -Jakarta-Atlanta for only $ 1400.

If I didn't stay in Korea, it would cost me only $ 900.

Yup, Garuda doesnt fly to the US anymore, as far as Delta and Northwest..i thought they were flying to Singapore not Indonesia. I fly Delta or Northwest for Domestic Flight.

FYI...Delta is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.

Salam,
Desi Clark

Effort and Courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

diederick
User
User icon of diederick
spacer line

On 04-11-2004 13:19 xtrapol wrote:
Hi Desi

Getting to Indonesia from the states is kinda hard, right? I think itne years ago Garuda was banned from flights to the US and US airlines were banned from Indonesia or something. So does that leave the choice to Delta and Northwest?

hey, that is interesting. Why was that, that they were banned from flying?

spacer line  

Hi all,

I want to go to Semarang- indonesia in october or november 2005, but i have no clue what the average prices are in that period (that means: the cheapest fares). Does anyone know some tips to do this (by example, if i want to fly from Brussels what would you suggest then).

Removed to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.xtrapol, when i want to book a real cheap seat from Aeroflot, what would you suggest how to fly then (i will check it also if they depart from Amsterdam or Brussels anyway).

Greets,

Joris.

Richy
User
User icon of Richy
spacer line

On 22-11-2004 18:48 diederick wrote:
[...]

hey, that is interesting. Why was that, that they were banned from flying?

I even heard that US embassy employees where forbidden to fly with Garuda... It all has to do with some safety issues of the airline. GIA has made in the past some big smoking holes in the ground Emoticon: Nooo ... times has been changed as far as I can/may judge!!!

"Veel mensen hebben een te hoge dunk van wat ze niet zijn, en een te geringe dunk van wat ze wel zijn".

AnisJ
User
User icon of AnisJ
spacer line

Dear all,

I want to remark that what also is important the plane you are flying with ......
an example is the not so new anymore Boeing 747-400; this airplane is able to reach Jakarta/Den Pasar/Bali in one or two 'stopovers' this makes a flight also cheaper !!! It also depend on 'long-distance'flyers' to bargain down their fairs, because less stopovers means less airport-taxes !!!
I am waiting for the fairs of the new airbus !!!

Greets .... Anis.

'Ahu kura ahia, mansia nia'

AnisJ
User
User icon of AnisJ
spacer line

S.Mua yth.,

I want to add something for several years it is possible to enter INDOnesia through several airports; I hope this is still avaliable ???!!!
For this means you are not always dependent to enter INDOnesia by Jakarta, I have heard that all the people from the U.S./west coast, enter INDOnesia via Makasar/Ujung Pandang !!!
This means also means that 'checking in' at the police is also not centralized.

Greets ... Anis.

'Ahu kura ahia, mansia nia'

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

51,300,976 topic views - 223,695 posts - 13,516 topics - 16,717 members - last post @ 18-11-2017 10:42 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

92,254,072 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com