indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

istikal
User
spacer line

Hi, Emoticon: Bye bye

I have been in indonesia ten years ago, and i am planning to return in this country next year. Emoticon: Yes!

I have a very good souvenir of my first travel, 2 months of journey in java, sumatrera, lombok, bali, sumbawa, flores.

So i just have one question, will i find the same indonesia ten years after ?

thx.

daft_punk
User
spacer line

Is your home town the same it was ten years ago?

istikal
User
spacer line

Yes and no ...

ok, i change my question.

For exemple,

the bus still drive very fast ?
the hotels are still so cheap ?
are peoples still very friendly ?
does tourist business grow up ?
Will i travel with indonesian or only with tourists ?

Well i have been recently i thailand, and i was desapointed of this country because people are not friendly and evry body is looking for your money, i have been i malaisia, but it's a to much modern counrty for me, same for singapour.

So i want to find the same indonesia i know, but it was ten years ago ...

senior
User
User icon of senior
spacer line

busdrivers are still driving like idiots Emoticon: Yes! ,you can find hotels from very cheap till very expencive,most of the people are friendly.
Your choice to travel with tourists or take the public transport and travel with the locals,
So, go and see for yourself the difference between 10 years ago and now

hati hati, pelan pelan

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
Where did you go in Sumatra and Java?
2 months seems like a short time period to see all these places plus others.
Java is twice as busy and places like Bandung are so busy with traffic now.

I am not sure which country you come from, but visas have changed in that time and if you are going for a similar time next year you may need to apply for a 60 day visa in your home country or one of the countries close to Indonesia like Malaysia- Penang or KL, Singapore, Bangkok.
Just remember you have 3 months from date of application to ENTER Indonesia and then you get your 60 day stamp.

Tourism died during all the turmoil of the rupiah crash, riots in Jakarta, Sept 11th, 2 Bali bombings, earthquakes and tsunamis.
However, travellers are slowly going back ( America lifted the travel warnings to Indonesia this year, but sadly NOT Australia) and I have been encouraging travellers to visit Indonesia for the past 8 yrs.
And in particular the past 2 yrs since my 5.5 month back packing trip from June to December 2006 when I visited Bali, Lombok-south Kuta , Sulawesi, south-Tana Toraja,
Java west -central -east, Sumatra west -north and Aceh south-north and Pulau Weh .

However, throughout all of this the Indonesian people esp in the villages have remained the wonderfully friendly helpful caring people they always were.
I am always getting emails from travellers I help over 8 different travel forums who are constantly blown away by the friendliness and caring of the Indonesian people.
And that is even after my posting that Indonesia's people are her greatest asset.

But you will find touts in the touristic areas a bit of a headache because they are all vying for your business to make a living for their families.
Life is quite tough in Indonesia these days (4,500-5,000 rupiah/kg of rice) and with the petrol subsidies taken off there have been several fuel increases and travel is expensive if you intend booking car/driver compared to 10 yrs ago.

How long are you going for? And where?
Check out my photos below of my 5.5 month trip.
I have various maps I have colour copied from my Indonesian atlas and am willing to email them onto travellers- i.e accomodation mapof Tuk Tuk Samosir Island Lake Toba.
My email is in my profile for members of this forum.
Pamela.

Anne Mieke
User
User icon of Anne Mieke
spacer line

On 16-11-2008 19:56 istikal wrote:
Yes and no ...

ok, i change my question.

For exemple,

the bus still drive very fast ?
the hotels are still so cheap ?
are peoples still very friendly ?
does tourist business grow up ?
Will i travel with indonesian or only with tourists ?

Well i have been recently i thailand, and i was desapointed of this country because people are not friendly and evry body is looking for your money, i have been i malaisia, but it's a to much modern counrty for me, same for singapour.

So i want to find the same indonesia i know, but it was ten years ago ...

Yes buses still drive very fast, however due to trafficjams on Java they cannot drive so fast these days.....
Hotels are still cheap but you will find many of them closed and prices have gone up. For examples hotelprices in Flores have raised 50 % in only one year!
People are still friendly.
Touristbusiness has slowed down except on (southern part of) Bali.
If on public transport you will travel with Indonesians and only few tourist.

Due to the lack of tourist yes everybody is looking for money as people who depend on touristbusiness (f.e. Bukit Lawang, Samosir, Bukittinggi and even more on Lombok , Sulawesi and Flores) have seen their income almost drop to zero.
This means coming to Indonesia will help the people to survive.

But their are many things which haven't changed including the beauty of the countryside, the wonderful food, the two most important things to go!

Anne Mieke

Need information about Flores? Take a look at the website "FLORES SURGA KITA" https://www.travel2flores.info/ (including many photo's) Avatar: Sarotari, Larantuka, the exact place the Palmerah bridge will be built. http://www.tidalbridge.com/

istikal
User
spacer line

Hi all !

So i will not find to much changes, it's ok for me, maybe not for peoples living there, i don't know ...
I believed that tourism increased, not slowled !
Already when i have been ( october-november ), there were places with very few tourits and empty hotels ( lac toba for exemple ), and i remenber to had a long travel in a big bus with only 3 poeples in sumatra ...

My first trip was:
singapore - jakarta - jogjakarta - kuta bali - kuta lombok - bima - sape - labuanbajo - bukit tingi - lac maninjau - lac toba.
My longest stay was in labuanbajo ( maybe 10 days ... ) at gardena losmen with a trip to rinca.
I stayed between 2 and 5 days in each other places.
For my next trip, i will stay 4 weeks, it's few for this big country, i don't know where i'll go.
I'll go may ou june 2009, so i have got 7 months to make my choise.
Maybe, i will have the same trip between jakarta and lanbuanbajo, or go to sulawesi and borneo, sumatra , ... or somewhere else !

Is it possible to go from labuhanbajo to sulawesi with boat ( or plane ) ?

( sorry for my bad english - still learning Emoticon: Blush )

hobo1
User
spacer line

Your question is kind of funny because Indonesia kind of went "back in time" after the acts of terrorism started to occur in Indonesia. For a long time tourism was dead - Bali almost died. But things are getting back to normal now and the new governmental system after Suharto is finally getting a grip on how to run a country.

I guess the only advice I can offer is this: If something has changed, and is not the way you like it - then just move on to the next town or next island and you will find everything the way you remember. I think that is the secret of visiting Indonesia... if you don't like situation you are in, simply move on a bit and the situation changes quickly.

Hideaway Bungalow in Kuta Lombok - check my homepage

istikal
User
spacer line

You are right.
For my first trip, i planed to stay 3 ou 4 days in bima.
But i arrived bima at 2 am, and lived the same days at 10 am to sape, i hated bima, but loved sape ...
I planed to stay 1 or 2 days in labuanbajo, and i finnaly stayed 10 days there.

I have more questions:

-How much rupia for 1 euro now ?
-I remember hotel price started from 3000 - 5000 rupias, now ?
-Maybe someone know if gardena losmen is still open in labuanbajo, and if johannas ( alias ricardo tobbs ) is still working there ?
- Is there still a big bird in the wall of masjid soko tundal ( ? ) in jogja ?
- How much money must i planned for a 4 weeks trip ? ( 10 years ago, it was less than 500 euros for a 2 months trip, but now i can spend more, i am rischest Emoticon: Yes! . )

Anne Mieke
User
User icon of Anne Mieke
spacer line

On 24-11-2008 20:17 istikal wrote:
You are right.
For my first trip, i planed to stay 3 ou 4 days in bima.
But i arrived bima at 2 am, and lived the same days at 10 am to sape, i hated bima, but loved sape ...
I planed to stay 1 or 2 days in labuanbajo, and i finnaly stayed 10 days there.

I have more questions:

-How much rupia for 1 euro now ?
-I remember hotel price started from 3000 - 5000 rupias, now ?
-Maybe someone know if gardena losmen is still open in labuanbajo, and if johannas ( alias ricardo tobbs ) is still working there ?
- Is there still a big bird in the wall of masjid soko tundal ( ? ) in jogja ?
- How much money must i planned for a 4 weeks trip ? ( 10 years ago, it was less than 500 euros for a 2 months trip, but now i can spend more, i am rischest Emoticon: Yes! . )

The rate you can find on the first page of the site. These dayas it's going up and down around Rp 15.000 for 1 euro.
Hotelprices in Flores have gone up. Count on a minimu of Rp 100.000
Yes, Gardena still there and in business in LB. Last time the told me Johannes is living behind Bajo Inn. We are talking about the same person?
How much money you need to spend on a 4 week trip depends on your needs and traveling. Hotel/guesthouse Rp 100.000 to Rp 150.000 (the latter including aircon)
Food: you will find yourself a nasi bungkus for Rp 5000, a nasi goreng for Rp 8.000, a good Padangmeal for around Rp 15.000, small bottle of water Rp 2000, bottle of arak Emoticon: Devil Rp 10.000 to Rp 15.000 (Flores and Bali) Bus f.e. LB-Ruteng Rp 75.000.But don't tell them in Indonesia you are rich as prices mentioned here will double immediately.... Emoticon: Smile

Good luck. When are you planning to go there?

Anne Mieke

Need information about Flores? Take a look at the website "FLORES SURGA KITA" https://www.travel2flores.info/ (including many photo's) Avatar: Sarotari, Larantuka, the exact place the Palmerah bridge will be built. http://www.tidalbridge.com/

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

76,022,120 topic views - 234,171 posts - 13,691 topics - 25,081 members - last post @ 13-10-2019 22:18 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

124,417,325 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com