indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

hanzahar
User
spacer line

anyone here thought of migrating or wants to go for long holidays say like a month or so in Indonesia?

has anyone actually migrated to indonesia?

care to share experience? Emoticon: Yes!

bartje64
User
spacer line

I'd love to hear some experiences too.. especially how to get the necessary paperwork and all that...
Removed to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.Hanzahar: Do you already have the experience?

hanzahar
User
spacer line

well no...

I can only have 30 days visitor visa...wonder how do I extend it?

daft_punk
User
spacer line

where are you from?

hanzahar
User
spacer line

me?

singapore...

daft_punk
User
spacer line

ic. We(dutch)can get a visa for 60 days but we have to claim it at the ambasea in our country. maybe the rules are different for singapore, i dont know

hanzahar
User
spacer line

is it free or paid?

i read somewhere in this forum someone stay for social visit in indonesia for like 3 months...i wonder how Emoticon: Frustrated

daft_punk
User
spacer line

well i think you can extend it every 2 month.

oyibo
User icon of oyibo
spacer line

There are even people with a workpermit.
They sort of volunteer to work here. Work and live here for a year minimum. Emoticon: Party!

It's only kinky the first time.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Hanzahar,

You can apply in Singapore for a 60 day visa from the Indonesian Consulate and the visa granted will be a 211 which is now extendable in Indonesia for 30 days at a time, up to 4 times.
It is like the old social visa, which was extendable by 30 days at a time- up to 4 times. but with this one you can travel around the country as long as you have an Indonesian person who can act as your sponsor.
And I believe you need to go to one of the major cities to be able to extend.

There was never a social visa for 3 months- you are probably getting confused with my post on Emma's stay in West Sumatra where I was able to get her a social visa through my friend Hendri which was for 6 months, but Emma could only stay for 3 months.

Now you can just apply for a 60 day visa and with an Indonesian sponsor extend up to 4 times. Legal price for extension is 250,000 rupiah per 30 days. But some places like Bali and northern Sulawesi they will charge you a lot more.
It is a new development since early 2007 and will be an excellent incentive for back packers to stay longer in Indonesia and experience what a fantastic place it is.

In regards to work- that is a very tricky area and most foreigners working in Indonesia are working for large companies who pay for their visas or English teachers whose schools pay for their special work visas.
Indonesia is extremely strict on visas and what you can do and what you can't do.
Make sure whatever you are applying for is legal- otherwise you will find yourself in big trouble and possibly be banned from re entering the country.
Did you know it is illegal to do any sort of volunteer work on a tourist visa?

There is a an expat website on all the do's and don't of being in Indonesia.
Here is the link www.expat.or.id/info/whatsnew.html
Pamela.

fred uk
User
spacer line

I'm an Englishman (and a Muslim) living here in this wonderful country.
I moved here over a year ago after I married an Indonesian girl and I have no regrets at all about the move.
I am growing to love Indonesia and the people here. The guys in my village have made things so easy for me and helped me out no end.
Now we have a loverly baby daughter who is just trying to take her first steps at less than 9 months old.
There is a down side to being here.
The first was corrupt officials who charged me 8 million for my first visa but the new guys are honest and the new one will only be Rp700,00.
The roads are seriously dangerous compared with the UK. No one seems to know the rules of the road and no one cares.
Technology is difficult to get. We are spoiled in the UK as we all have very fast home internet and technology stores are big and every town has many of them.

Still these are small things compared to the good side of Indonesia.
The best thing for me is the people here. I've never met such a nice friendly lot as you.
Thanks for making me welcome here and helping me out so much with a big move.

I love Indonesia.

NKP-2005
User
User icon of NKP-2005
spacer line

Quite right FRED!!

The life in Europe was getting too quick for many people. The faster the internet the more people that couldn't follow it. Surprisingly some companies only reacted to mailed letters and not to email, like insurance companies. I accused them of still using pidgeon-mail as their letters took 6 weeks to get at me and they demanded an answer in 3! Not amused, they were.

Better to be in RI and slow down a bit. Enjoy watching your daughter growing up. I never had time for that in Europe! But now I have. In Europe I had to work 6 months a year, now 3 is enough, 4 a bonus in case I need a new car or so.
Enjoy the good life, buddy!

NKP-2005
User
User icon of NKP-2005
spacer line

On visa: Singaporens require no visa to go to Batam or Bintan, or elsewhere in Indonesia. They will get a free visa stamp for two months on arrival. Silly he don't know that while so many Singaporeans come here.

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 04-10-2008 18:09 pPamela wrote: In regards to work- that is a very tricky area and most foreigners working in Indonesia are working for large companies who pay for their visas or English teachers whose schools pay for their special work visas.

Very wrong Pam. Probably in Jakarta but definitely not in Yogyakarta and Bali. There everyone has to take care of his own stay permit or visa in one way or another. I presume that about 80% of the foreigners who're living in Indonesia (and outside the capital) are self-made men/women who through self-employment do have a living over here. The picture of the expat in Jakarta (and some in Bali) who do have a nice house, kids on an international school, fancy car and a couple of housemaids - all payed by their employer - is not valuable, effective outside the capital.
You're long enough on this forum to realize that the vast majority of the visitors here - who use to live in Indonesia - are far away from the traditional picture of (the life of) an expat.

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 04-10-2008 18:09 pPamela wrote: Indonesia is extremely strict on visas and what you can do and what you can't do.

I don't agree with you on this issue. Quite easy on the contrary. Look at the opposite in Europe: for example it is much more difficult for an Indonesian to stay in Holland, then it is for a foreigner to stay in Indonesia.

spacer line  

Fred UK.

Im glad to hear that you have a wonderful relationship with your Indonesian wife and a lovely daughter. Im thinking of moving there too for I am in love with an Indonesian man :-) Im just a little concern because I'm Christian and he is Muslim. Do you think we can still get married even if we have different religion? What are Indonesian men like anyway? So far, he has been very sweet to me but he is also in the military... Emoticon: Confused

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 24-10-2008 07:00 khristina0330 wrote: Im just a little concern because I'm Christian and he is Muslim. Do you think we can still get married even if we have different religion? What are Indonesian men like anyway? So far, he has been very sweet to me but he is also in the military... Emoticon: Confused

No, you can't marry with a different religion. In 9 of 10 cases the western partner follows the Indonesian partner instead of the opposite......don't know why but probably beacuse they're weaker then the Indonesian side. Anyway, 1 of u have to convert to te other religion, otherwise forget it.

How Indonesian men are? Depends on where he is from (background: ethnic, religion, class, study, etc.). Why u think that so often Indonesian women prefer a foreigner instead of somebody from their own nation? Think about that!

HansvdB
User
User icon of HansvdB
spacer line

On 25-10-2008 11:01 Yogya-Bali wrote:

No, you can't marry with a different religion.

Sorry, YB, but you can marry someone with another religion. It's a lot of susah , though. Converting to Islam might be a better idea...

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 25-10-2008 14:50 HansvdB wrote: Sorry, YB, but you can marry someone with another religion. It's a lot of susah , though. Converting to Islam might be a better idea...

Ofcourse it is possible (everything is possible in RI) but it's not the legal way. If you have the right connections, you can arrange a marriage without church or mosque.
But if you don't live here, don't know the way, the right people and don't wanna pay a certain amount, well then........
And your family-in-law definitely is not going to tell you, cause a new islam convert is 1 more (lost) soul for Allah......

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

...and his companions.

oyibo
User icon of oyibo
spacer line

Again welcome Fred. Enjoy all the beautiful things RI has to offer.

Seems you've found your way very quickly around RI and it's system of friends.
I'm a junoir compared to people present on this site. I have been in Indonesia for a couple of years and now living here and have an expat job. Maybe one of the few. I know I will be here for the next few years but then I know, I will be leaving again. For the moment I enjoy the stay here. As I did before on Bali. Migration maybe be a big word for me, but in the next job it will be rotational and I will be back living on Bali again. My wife is Balinese and we have children. Over the past years we have been living in different country's. I'm Dutch but I have been working abroad for 2 decades. And never to returned to live in my home country. Life has been good to me here and I see no reason to go back. I fully enjoy the Indonesian society. And feel home. And thats more then enough for me. Emoticon: Party!

It's only kinky the first time.

spacer line  

Thank you Yogya for the info. His background...dont know much Emoticon: Frustrated I know he graduated from a Military school and he is now with this special forces called Kopassus. His father is a two-star retired General and now a member of the Indonesian parliament.
He's got a younger bro, also in the military and a sister who is also married to an officer in the military. He is from Bandung...or something...or his parents are...
What is "susah"?

spacer line  

Am I wasting my time with this dude? I mean, I just thought about it, his whole family is from the military. Is he even allowed to marry a non Indonesian or muslim, or will his family allow that???? Man, they must be really conservative....

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Talking about conservative.......... When it concerns religion, the whole nation is conservative.
About the background.......military belongs to higher class. At the other side....the military is for me the most criminal organization in the country. And when a military family is rich, you can count on it that they didn't receive all their wealth in a honest way (corruption, drugs trade, etc.).
susah = difficult

spacer line  

oh my. I "googled" his unit Kopassus and I didnt like what I read. I did ask him about it but he said its all not true because they are very dedicated to their nation. Then again, not as if he will say, "Yes, honey, its true. We are violators or human rights." Emoticon: Nooo

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

77,088,453 topic views - 235,046 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,815 members - last post @ 21-11-2019 10:44 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,922,295 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com