indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Cuahtemoc
User
spacer line

Hey guys

I'm an Australian, 25 years old and heading overseas for my first time ever in a few weeks. After spending a few days in Singapore with friends, I'm flying into Medan on the 24th of August and back to Singapore for the Grand Prix on the 22nd of September. I'd like to spend the whole time in Sumatra, whats good ?

At the moment I'm thinking head straight up to Palau Weh for 2 weeks of diving/snorkelling, then to Bukit Lawang for a week to do jungle trekking/orangutan stuff, then a week in Danau Toba to bludge around then back to Medan. Any ideas/suggestions ?

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
Why not read some of my reports on Bukit Lawang and Tangkahan on this forum- they will give some idea of what to do, where to go, what to see and also read the trip in West Sumatra that Emma did in March 2006- she stayed for 3 months- report has excellent information.
I believe everything in this Sumatra forum will be enough reading for you to get an idea of where to go , and so on.
If not email me at pamelajoyfugeRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.hotmail.com with your questions and I will attempt to help you with a rough itinerary.
Pamela.

Cuahtemoc
User
spacer line

Thanks Pamela

I've already read through everything, pretty confidant that Palau Weh, Bukit Lawang/Tangkahan and Danau Toba are where I'm headed in September. About the only question I couldn't find was budget related - I'm planning on costs being about $1000 AU/month - is that about right ? I'm not into super fancy stuff, just a place to sleep without rats eating my face and nice street/warung food.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi, I just wrote you the longest post and lost it all- how disappointing!!
Will try to redo later.

$1,000AUD per month is o.k.- that is about 7, 900,000 rupiah.
I can live on about 1.4 million per week, that is about 200,000 per day, but I do not dive so that is where you will need the extra money plus if you drink alcohol which I don't.
Pamela

pPamela
User
spacer line

Suggest you fly straight from Medan to Banda Aceh, stay the night at Uncle's ( info' on this forum) and get the ferry the next day to Pulau Weh.
Did you read Bora Horza's trip report to Pulau Weh this yearforum.indahnesia.com/topic/659(...)_aceh_visit_2008.php

Then after a week I would seriously consider heading from Banda Aceh ( would need to book your flight once you got to Banda to ensure a seat) by plane to Kutacane and visit Ketambe 1 hr up the road by local bus.
Read this incredible report of a sighting of wild orangutans ( compared to the tame ones in Bukit Lawang) written by a regular visitor to Indonesia.

He was in Ketambe during the fruit season-August and had the best sighting.
forum.indahnesia.com/topic/581(...)tembe_south_aceh.php
Here is a new website created by German guy for a friend in Ketambe.
www.ketambe.com/ketambe_how-to-reach.html
Website has loads of info' on how to get there, about the village etc.
Great place to stay down there is Pak Mus ( I always stay there). He has a great house up in the jungle with the best views of the jungle and the river.
Pamela.

spacer line  

Hi there Cuahtemoc,

Just to add a bit of infornation due to your trip planning. You are having now a good choice already about places that you are going to visit. I am a local person from Lake Toba - Tuk Tuk ( the centre of tourism in Lake Toba)and living now in Netherland. Probably this website www.samosirtourism.com
would help you also to give you the idea what you can do at Samosir Island - Lake Toba.
About the cost per month in Sumatera, your bugdet is looking good. You will have a lot of fun there, And by choosing Lake Toba as your last place is good. As at Samosir Island, it is just perfect place to relax, enjoying the Nature, quiet, swimming in the lake ect..Enjoy the local food, for this try visit Jenny's Restaurant. It is an a samll restaurant, great food and have a nice view from the restaurant over the lake.

Henry

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
Like Henry I can recommend Jenny's rerstaurant as well. Jenny and her husband Rinto are good friends of mine. Here are a set of photos of them, their two beautiful daughters and their restaurant from Sept 2006.
travel.webshots.com/album/558520497nMwmhx?start=60
Pamela.
PS, how are you Henry? Please send me an email- I did not have a computer for a long time and working 70-85 hrs.week- now have new computer, broadband and some free time if you need some help.

Cuahtemoc
User
spacer line

Thanks for your help dudes, I ended up doing scuba diving in Palau Weh for a week which totally blew the budget, but was a lot of fun. In Banda Aceh now, flying to Kutacane first thing tomorrow morning and looking forward to getting out of the city. If anyone is interested, pics and thoughts are up at my blog - www.itescapee.com .

I'm thinking I'll spend a week trekking around Ketambe, then get to Danau Toba overland somehow and stay for a week, then back to Medan to fly out to Singapore.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Cuahtemoc,

Thank you for sharing your blog www.itescapee.com/?p=69

I found it great reading. I am so pleased you have chosen Ketambe to visit and look forward to your writing and photographs on this beautiful area.
If you are going to visit Lake Toba, I would consider stopping off in Brestagi for a day or two and maybe climbing one of the volcanoes there if that is an interest of yours.
Pamela.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

49,995,258 topic views - 222,235 posts - 13,491 topics - 16,270 members - last post @ 24-09-2017 15:23 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

90,103,621 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com