indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

benny2000
User
spacer line

I have heard different stories about tipping and I wonder what exactly should be done. Some of my Indo friends told me not to tip because it is not in the local tradition and they told me that they almost never tip ! I found that a bit surprising ! It is however true that sometimes tip is refused like at gas stations but it is pretty rare !
I have the impression that tips is expecting from bules when it would not be expected from locals ?! Am I wrong ?

Basically I tip my hairdresser around Rp10000 (haircut price around Rp50/70K), restaurant 5%-10 %; nothing for gas station. For massage, I noticed that even you only request a legitimate massage, girls still expect big tips and even get mad when they get only Rp10k or Rp15k for a massage price of 60k-100k, is it really too little ?
thanks

jdaki
User
spacer line

i never tipped anybody (definitely not in a restaurant), but be sure that anyone who meets bule a lot will have got some generous tips before....

louen
User
spacer line

In Australia it is ettiquette to tip about 10%, but I am not sure that people still tend to follow this. I think this stemned from America. In Australia our rental prices are soaring same with everthing else so people don't really have money to spare.
But its nice for the waiter to receive a tip for appreciation for the good service they provided. Emoticon: Smile

spacer line  

Ask local people how much they tip, not foreigners!

Pistebunny
User
spacer line

I am Indonesian through and through but lived in the UK for over 28 years. Even though my family are extremely well off (they lived in Java & Bali) none of them ever give tip. I find it really annoying as their wealth will not going to run out even if they tipped here and there. As for me, I am poor as a church mouse but I believe in 15% tip whether I am in Europe, USA, Australia or Indonesia. Emoticon: Cooool

Winter lover : o )

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

51,997,618 topic views - 224,455 posts - 13,533 topics - 16,916 members - last post @ 11-12-2017 20:23 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

93,263,951 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com