indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Rissee01
User
spacer line

Hello,

The 2nd week of July I'll travel around Sumatra. Currently I look for the possibility to rent a car in Medan and drive to Padang from where I'll catch the airplane back to the crowdedness of Jakarta. Besides the visits of the sights on the route from Medan to Padang like "lake Tabou" and the “Jungle” near Medan I also wondering if it is possible to bring a visit to Aceh and visit the "sights" over there as well. Can someone tell me if this is possible in one week?

Best regards,

Jeroen

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
I believe you are being too ambitious thinking in week, even with a car you can see Bukit Lawang 3hrs by car travellling from Medan plus return trip.
Then another 4 hrs to get to Lake Toba and from Lake Toba to Padang is about 16 hours at the minimum probably more. ( bus from Bukittinggi to lake Toba is 17 hrs overnight).
And hopefully in that week you will want to stay for part of the day in each of the places.
Wanting to see places in Aceh is being totally unrealistic.
Pamela who has spent up 5.5 months travelling at one time in Indonesia and really, Indonesia needs to be taken slowly to really appreciate her beauty and her wonderful people.

Rissee01
User
spacer line

Thnx, for your answer, will review my trip. If someone have any sugestions....

spacer line  

My suggestion.. you must use airplane it's most effective for your time, you only spent about 1 hours by plane to Medan and Aceh, but I don't know flight schedule Padang to Medan, if Pekanbaru - Medan there are flight schedule by Merpati Air, Sriwijaya Air and Jatayu Air, actually I'm living in Pekanbaru now, Padang to Pekanbaru about 300 km's, so close than to Medan. Pekanbaru to Medan about 10-12 hours spent time by bus, and to Aceh as same as too. If a week if you rent a car many time loss in the street Emoticon: Smile , but if you need help me in Pekanbaru - Riau I' m glad to meet you, need a rent a car for Pekanbaru-Riau I have one It's my own car Emoticon: Smile , Oh I'm forget In Indonesia on 20th jun until 15th July are holiday school the traffic for transportation busiest, or the peak season, so you must booking the ticket plane soon, Thanks good luck and welcome to Indonesia Emoticon: Smile

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
If you decide to use the plane as suggested above and want to head to ketambe then have a look at this website for the flight schedule.www.ketambe.com/ketambe_how-to-reach.html
Please be aware that you cannot book the flights through travel agent in Medan or Jakarta- this must be done at the AIRPORT in Medan and the tickets sell out very fast- so your chances of a seat will not be good.
I know this because I have checked with my travel agent friend in Medan and he said they know nothing about the flights.
If you fly down to Ketambe you will realize that it is definitely worth 3 days there, maybe even do an overnight trek to the hot springs and camp by the riverside- sheer heaven.
My photos of Ketambe November 2006.
travel.webshots.com/album/558520690SuCcbY
Pamela.

wanden
User
spacer line

ekroeze
User
spacer line

Pamela and Voucherflash,
I'm travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Banda Atjeh. But because Atjeh is not an international airport, the visum on arrival will be a problem, so perhaps i need to change my flight via Medan.
Question: is it possible to travel from Medan to Banda Atjeh by bus? And how long would it take?
Or do you recommend a flight? Waht airline would you recommend?
Any suggestions are more the welcome! Many thanks in advance!

Anne Mieke
User
User icon of Anne Mieke
spacer line

On 07-07-2008 10:12 ekroeze wrote:
Pamela and Voucherflash,
Im travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Banda Atjeh. But because Atjeh is not an international airport, the visum on arrival will be a problem, so perhaps i need to change my flight via Medan.
Question: is it possible to travel from Medan to Banda Atjeh by bus? And how long would it take?

Are you sure? Because IF there are flights between two countries it used to be an international airport.
Travel from Medan to Banda Aceh is possible by bus and will take around 14 hours. However, the scenery is not that nice via the eastcoast so a flight from KL (preferable) or from Medan is much better.

Anne Mieke

Info about Flores? FLORES SURGA KITA - http://www.travel2flores.info

ekroeze
User
spacer line

Thanks Anne Mieke!
I was hoping for nice scenery, but if not... i'll take the plane.
If you know a good airline...?
Banda Atjeh indeed might be an international airport, but one without the possiblity to get an Visum on arrival. Unfortunately :-(

Anne Mieke
User
User icon of Anne Mieke
spacer line

I am sorry but no good airlines in Indonesia.......

But, bet on Lion Air, eveningflight around Rp 650.000 or
Sriwijaya Air, flight in the afternoon price around the same as Lion Air

Just close your eyes.......

AM

Info about Flores? FLORES SURGA KITA - http://www.travel2flores.info

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Ekroeze,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you- my laptop died and I had to get it repaired.
If you are flying from KL to Banda Aceh, you must get your visa at the Indonesian Consulate in KL. They will not let you on plane unless you have your visa beforehand.
You can apply for whatever visa you need- 7, 10, 30 or 60 day visa.
I believe it only takes about 1 day now to do.

Best to fly because it is a long uncomfortable bus trip from Medan to Banda Aceh.
I have flown Sriwijaya from Banda Aceh to Medan- no problem- very comfortable.
Did you know that you can also fly from Banda Aceh with SMAC down to Kutacane if you wish to go to Ketambe.
Check out the website I previously put up. I got them to correct the airline last week- they were quoting Riau which was completely wrong.
Pamela.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

51,445,783 topic views - 223,951 posts - 13,528 topics - 16,747 members - last post @ 24-11-2017 11:53 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

92,507,360 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com