indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Lacey
User
User icon of Lacey
spacer line

I owned an Indonesian Restaurant. I loved my business but yet hate dealing with Indonesians, although I am Indonesian myself.

I just wished that Indonesians will learn how to be more polite. Less of the shouting. If its not your turn, wait. Stop being abrupt. Stop behaving like money will buy everything. Stop thinking that you could shout at me like your maid in Indonesia - just because I serve in the restaurant. I own the restaurant and the door is at the front, please exit as I don't need you. Money don't buy everything. If you want to eat my food, be nice to me and I might serve you. Teach your children how to behave too or they will end up like you one day.

Anyway, of course I have been stressed out by some rude Indonesian today. Yes of course and she was an Indo lady - grumpy dumpy and ugly with track suit pants - urgh. I do food delivery and she was rude to me. So, thats it. If you think you're rich and you could get away behaving that way ..cook your own darn food tomorrow as we're done!

Learn to say 'Please', learn to say 'Thank You', learn to say 'Excuse Me'. Magic words will take you a long way and they're not that hard to say.

Can Indonesians learn to be more polite???

kiwimave
User
User icon of kiwimave
spacer line

Compared with Dutch, Jewish, Arab or Chinese people Indonesian people should be considered quite polite in places like restaurants. Open your eyes! Emoticon: Party! Did you ever hear a dutchman say "excuse me" when he accidently hits you when walking past?

Gracias. Sama sama

Jantje
User
spacer line

Dear Lacey,

Remember one thing:"The customer is Always king. Then you rip them. Shouldn't be that difficult for you being indonesian. Emoticon: Shiny

monyet
User
User icon of monyet
spacer line

In general, working in a restaurant is considered something for very low class uneducated people in Asia, whereas in the Netherlands it is common especially for youngsters to get a sidejob in a restaurant or at a bar.
Still, it doesn't justify shouting at people who work in restaurants.

From Dayeuhkolot with love

senior
User
User icon of senior
spacer line

Well, at least i can speak for myself here: as far as i know i never shouted or been angry at the people who work in a restaurant in Indonesia. They do there job and i'm a guest in their country and in their restaurant and i behave as a guest..and yes kiwimave,when i bump in to someone at the street or somewhere else by accident, i do say sorry or excuse me...i think that's normal Emoticon: Yes!

hati hati, pelan pelan

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

Lacey; you work at a restaurant that you own? That is the first mistake you made... The others already completed this by stating that the guest is king. If you don't need their money, why not close the whole restaurant?

spacer line  

Well, I don't know how big your place is but yes, if its not too small and you get enough customers I would also suggest to hire staff to do the serving if this bothers you so much. it s one of the things that are nice in Indonesia that this is relatively affordable compared to many other countries.
I think Indonesia is not an exception here, all over the world its is not much different that some people can't behave in restaurants.

Greetz

Lacey
User
User icon of Lacey
spacer line

Yerun: We have a full range of customers - mostly Australians, English and Malaysians who happened to be able to pay our price. So, really we do not need any ill mannered Indonesians. I wish I could put up a signage infront of the restaurant 'No rude Indonesians' - without being sued for discrimination.

Guest is the king. Fortunately, only nice people allowed in our restaurant.
Emoticon: Party!

Kiwimave: We have the nicest bunch of Dutch in our restaurant. Love them!!!

Jantje: How could I rip them off? They started asking for discount before they even sat down. I'm sure they don't ask for discount in restaurants owned by the Aussies. Of course I say NO to their face.

BTW, the restaurant is in Australia.

spacer line  

Why not put a sign "no rude people allowed" or "fixed price, no bargain" no need to mention about Indonesians... right?.

Btw, you know its a custom for Indonesians to bargain, they do it almost with everything they buy so in Indonesia its not considered rude to do so. I think if you keep this in mind you maybe get a different idea about rudeness and that they actually maybe are not aware that doing this in a different country is considered rude.
Of course if they see you are indonesian they might think they can feel like home and act that way.

Greetz

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 17-05-2008 07:04 dutchguy1000 wrote:
Why not put a sign "no rude people allowed" or "fixed price, no bargain" no need to mention about Indonesians... right?.

Indonesians , or Rude Indonesians. ?
And who are theys ?.
TKI ? , Students ? , Orang Turis? Their "social" backgrounds ?

Orang bertingkah ?

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

Lacey
User
User icon of Lacey
spacer line

Orang Kaya Baru. Rude, arrogant and ignorant.

Also some Indonesian women (not ladies of course) who got married to Aussies. 6 out of 10 are rude. Some are very pretty and well dressed (Indonesian actress looking) but the behaviour wise...OMG - very kampungan. You won't believe one of them came in and eat with her left leg up on the chair. Very classy!

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

On 17-05-2008 05:37 Lacey wrote:
Yerun: We have a full range of customers - mostly Australians, English and Malaysians who happened to be able to pay our price. So, really we do not need any ill mannered Indonesians. I wish I could put up a signage infront of the restaurant No rude Indonesians - without being sued for discrimination.

Guest is the king. Fortunately, only nice people allowed in our restaurant.
Emoticon: Party!

Kiwimave: We have the nicest bunch of Dutch in our restaurant. Love them!!!

Jantje: How could I rip them off? They started asking for discount before they even sat down. Im sure they dont ask for discount in restaurants owned by the Aussies. Of course I say NO to their face.

BTW, the restaurant is in Australia.

Too bad for you that the restaurant is in Australia, discriminating signs here in Indonesia are as common as rude Indonesians. Emoticon: Puh!

I think you are missing a basic element in the whole situation as well. Of course you can ask 'your own people' for a discount, you originate from the same country. I think this is good culture in among many populations around the world. You are free to say no of course, and if you do that in a very impolite way you are sure they will never come back again. But that's up to you of course.

I think your kind of 'sombong' Indonesian people are to be found here in Indonesia as well, but since I normally speak Indonesian I am not shy to point someone at their stupidity every once in a while, but in such a manner that they can not show their anger that they have been 'offended' or something like that. I think you know how it works as well, as you are Indonesian as well... no need to explain then Emoticon: Puh!

And if you really don't like something, just bill them something extra. Big chance they don't check it, see it or don't dare to speak about it, especially after your nice 'NO' Emoticon: Very funny Emoticon: Very funny Emoticon: Very funny

Lacey
User
User icon of Lacey
spacer line

Yerun, believe it or not, I don't even care if they come back again or not. I will just say 'ngga bisa'. I couldn't careless if we're from the same country. Yes, Im very proud this way - but I won't let other people dictate me what to do in my business - including that I owe them some sort of discount because they come from Indonesia.

Oh yes, the Indonesians do check their bills. If we undercharged they will not say a word, if we overcharged they will make a huge rage about it.

Ah well, off to work now. More challenges ahead. Hope all the rude Indonesians stay away from me.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 17-05-2008 08:30 Lacey wrote:
Orang Kaya Baru. Rude, arrogant and ignorant.

Also some Indonesian women (not ladies of course) who got married to Aussies. 6 out of 10 are rude.

OKB , OBM(Orang baru Melek) .
Its everywhere the same story.

Mister (Toean) Lacey ) you make also a big mistake to make a statements as above in yr topic (Indonesians).

OKB, OBM or Some of Indonesian Woman who married Aussies. .
(You can also write another Bule's ) .
Thats another story.
Thanks for yr further info , because at the first time I have a bad idea abt you.
That you are a SomSe person.

Salam dari Amsterdam.
Always meet very nice Indonesians in Holland or Europe.

Nemesis
User
User icon of Nemesis
spacer line

Indonesians come in two kinds. The ones that think they are LESS important than you and the ones that think they are MORE important than you.

The ones that think they are less important are extremely polite; the ones that think they are more important than you, extremely impolite.

Luckily for Dutch, most Indonesians think they are less important than them. Most people who write on this forum should understand that that average Indonesian will put him in the category of being more important than they are. Because of this most of us get the impression that Indonesians are very polite.

If you ask workers in a restaurant or hotel that have to serve domestic tourists you’ll get a very different answer. All of them think Indonesian (tourists) are very impolite.

Amore, more, ore, re, probantur amicitiae. Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 17-05-2008 10:52 Nemesis wrote:
Indonesians come in two kinds. The ones that think they are LESS important than you and the ones that think they are MORE important than you.

The ones that think they are less important are extremely polite; the ones that think they are more important than you, extremely impolite.

Luckily for Dutch, most Indonesians think they are less important than them. Most people who write on this forum should understand that that average Indonesian will put him in the category of being more important than they are. Because of this most of us get the impression that Indonesians are very polite.

Simplistic thinking of a Dutch person , maybe the so called old colonial way of thinking.

Hua hua hua hua , Orang Simpel ?

Nemesis
User
User icon of Nemesis
spacer line

Yes of course there are always exceptions, but my I’m sure my story gives a well recognizable impression of Indonesia.

In the same style I can also pinpoint Holland. Typical for this country is that all people always think that they are equal to other people even when it’s obvious that they are not. And if they are not equal then they say: “they maybe different but have the same value….” Emoticon: Shiny

Amore, more, ore, re, probantur amicitiae. Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 17-05-2008 11:29 Nemesis wrote:
Yes of course there are always exceptions, but my I’m sure my story gives a well recognizable impression of Indonesia.

No , wrong again.
The Indonesian Culture is different with the Dutch.
The Indonesian have their own levels , generally speaking at least in 3 levels .
"low(er)" level . The "same"Level .The High(er) level.
See their Bahasa Indonesia. or Bahasa Jawa-Sunda (with 8 levels) .

monyet
User
User icon of monyet
spacer line

There is no such thing as 'the Indonesian'. The country is as big as Europe and exists of many, many islands. Even on one island, cultures are very diverse.

spacer line  

On 17-05-2008 12:57 monyet wrote:
There is no such thing as the Indonesian. The country is as big as Europe and exists of many, many islands. Even on one island, cultures are very diverse.

I agree, I think that generalization is the main problem on this forum.

Greetz

AnisJ
User
User icon of AnisJ
spacer line

" .... is this also appliable in the Netherlands, but less; I'd read almost the same article in a Dutch setting ..."

• In Indonesia most common people cannot effort to eat in 'rumah makan' and these people would be very modest ...... in stead of the people who could effort it ..... right .... ???

• 'Ahu kura ahia, mansia nia'

monyet
    User
    User icon of monyet
    spacer line

Holland is quite the opposite of Indonesia in this respect as here it's usually the waiters and waitresses being rude to customers! Emoticon: Laugh out loud

Lacey
    User
    User icon of Lacey
    spacer line

You hit on the spot. Couldn't agree better. The Indonesian lady that upset me will get a very bad news from me on Monday. She will learn that she's not that important after all. Hopefully she'll learn to be nice in future.

Lacey
    User
    User icon of Lacey
    spacer line

On 17-05-2008 10:25 sidia wrote:

OKB , OBM(Orang baru Melek) .
    Its everywhere the same story.

Mister (Toean) Lacey ) you make also a big mistake to make a statements as above in yr topic (Indonesians).

OKB, OBM or Some of Indonesian Woman who married Aussies. .
    (You can also write another Bules ) .
    Thats another story.
    Thanks for yr further info , because at the first time I have a bad idea abt you.
    That you are a SomSe person.

Salam dari Amsterdam.
    Always meet very nice Indonesians in Holland or Europe.

Im not SomSe. Just very frustrated sometimes. I suppose as I own an Indonesian Restaurant I'll tend to meet loads of Indonesians. Unfortunately, in the city that I live in, there're loads and loads of Indonesian OKBs. Just my luck!

Salam dari Australia.

Lacey is my cat's name. A female gender of course, so its a Miss ...meoww!!

marcel70
    User
    spacer line

If you ask workers in a restaurant or hotel that have to serve domestic tourists you’ll get a very different answer. All of them think Indonesian (tourists) are very impolite.

Mmm benar sekali
    Wis ya itu

What Nemessis write is a a rule what only comes out after you realy understand the Javaanse people.
    It very important not to live in a mimpi terus

Pareng

Becik ketitik olo Ketoro

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
    If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

77,000,674 topic views - 234,994 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,725 members - last post @ 18-11-2019 04:56 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
    Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,822,809 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com