indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Edwin
User
spacer line

It's a proverb from Indonesian, I beleve many people know each word meaning in this sentence.At least anyone can consult each word via DIRECT DICTIONARY in this website.Very easy to understand.right?
If so,pls tell me background of this sentence.And,at what suitation we can use this proverb?And,why don't DIRECT DICTIONARY add
proverb searching function? Emoticon: Confused Emoticon: Confused Emoticon: Confused

spacer line  

what is the meaning of the proverb? tidak mati oleh belanda? I'm sorry for saying this, but I myself don't understand and tell you the truth, i didn't know that we have such a proverb... I'll ask my friends to find out, I'll let you know then. Emoticon: Smile

Slightly older, hopefully wiser, absolutely prettier

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

On 29-07-2004 14:31 Edwin wrote:
And,why dont DIRECT DICTIONARY add proverb searching function? Emoticon: Confused Emoticon: Confused Emoticon: Confused

As there is no explaination known to me, there is nothing to add Emoticon:

spacer line  

Edwin and Yerun,
I've asked a number of friends about the proverb and just like me, they are all confused and say they have never heard of such proverb. There is one proverb saying: BELANDA MASIH JAUH, or Belanda is still far away/ in means: chill out; relax, take your time, dont rush. We use this proverb to somebody who does things in a hurry/ rush whilst they still have a lot of time. Does it help?

Tidak mati oleh Belanda? Perhaps it is used to tell the story about Si Pitung, a Betawi legendary hero who was said to have a magical strength and immunity that ordinary bullets couldn't kill him. He could only be killed by silver bullet, and that's exactly what got him killed: a silver bullet.
aaargh, sorry Yerun, instead of helping you, I am reviewing history. maaf yaaaa
Emoticon: Worship

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

my colleagues and me had a good laugh about "Belanda masih jauh"... hehe.. Emoticon: Very funny

spacer line  

waa, I usually say; "santai aja, belanda masih jauh kok!" Emoticon: Cooool

bangwin
User
User icon of bangwin
spacer line

I don't recognize that phrase as a proverb in Indonesia Edwin....It doesn't have any other meaning than "not kill by the dutch"

bagusdewe
User
spacer line

On 29-07-2004 18:07 bangwin wrote:
I dont recognize that phrase as a proverb in Indonesia Edwin....It doesnt have any other meaning than "not kill by the dutch"

>If we sit back and repeat the sentence, it might be part of a long sentence. (incomplete sentence such as" HOW YOU GET MONDAY?")

>It must have been written / said by "A PERSON/s UNWORRIED by ANY RULES OF LANGUAGE CONVENTIONS...

>For example: ...."such and such' grandfather died in 1944, tapi dia tidak "mati oleh Belanda", tapi oleh "JEPANG"....(This person died, NOT by Dutch Person as a PERSON PERPETRATOR, rather, it explains DUTCH AS A PLURAL.....so it could be involving other Race /Nation as a cause of this person's death in this context of Convers.)

>This person was trying to put forward his theory: DENIAL TOWARDS A STATEMENT MADE EARLIER, REGARDING A DEATH CAUSED by DUTCH .... which happens not to be the case)
>So.. to me it is not a complete sentence but it explains something else

>Another sample: an INDIAN CHIEF in PERU in 1640 tidak mati oleh ENGLISH , but mati oleh Spanish...
(.........an Indian Chief in Peru in 1640 didn't die because of Englishmen but died because of Spanish....)
(MAKE SENSE?)
>Does it help? or more complicates situation?

>Well I'm confused myself to be honest... have a nice "CENDOL"

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

Ngomong apa sich kalian?

Effort and Courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

bagusdewe
User
spacer line

On 02-08-2004 00:34 Desi Clark wrote:
Ngomong apa sich kalian?

>ngomong gado gado.....he he he
>seriously....I felt like blind person guiding another blind person .......this time
>how was the trip to Indon?
>MC party?in Jakt? did you meet some INDAHNESIA 's Forum' sticky Bees?
>Just like asking: " .. tidak bahagia oleh MC?....."
>How can you explain that?

>Gives me headache already! HA HA HA

Chinacore
User
User icon of Chinacore
spacer line

Don't forget me to bring a present next time.
(Is een kado'tje geven uitgestorven bij de Hollanders?)

I hear someting like this from Parepare Seluwesi
(boegies language), where my wife is coming from.

Edwin
User
spacer line

ha,ha,ha.....So surprised to know many people don't know the answer.
Especially they're Indoneasians!
I upload 5 more proverbs to prove it's not a riddle made by me.
1.Habis waktu karena bang. 2.Bagai tanah pelempar balam.3.Ada rotan ada duri.4.Bubu duduk jiwa kau hilang.5.Belalang telah menjadi lang.
Come on! if anyone knows others,pls show them up!!! Emoticon: Worship Emoticon: Worship Emoticon: Worship

bangwin
User
User icon of bangwin
spacer line

- ada gula ada semut
- sedikit-sedikit lama-lama menjadi bukit
- berakit-rakit kehulu, berenang-renang ketepian
- ada uang abang sayang, tidak ada uang abang melayang
- bagaikan punduk merindukan bulan
- besar pasak daripada tiang

DirkV
User
User icon of DirkV
spacer line

Tidak mati oleh Belanda?????

Expression said about someone who is very rich, especially a person who stays that rich even after losing his/her company by bankruptcy.

bagusdewe
User
spacer line

On 04-08-2004 23:16 DirkV wrote:
Tidak mati oleh Belanda?????

Expression said about someone who is very rich, especially a person who stays that rich even after losing his/her company by bankruptcy.

>Is it true?
>never heard of it..

bagusdewe
User
spacer line

On 04-08-2004 15:56 Edwin wrote:
ha,ha,ha.....So surprised to know many people dont know the answer.
Come on! if anyone knows others,pls show them up!!! Emoticon: Worship Emoticon: Worship Emoticon: Worship

>Tiada gading yang tak retak
>Bagai telur diujung tanduk
>Seakan menegakkan benang basah
>PATAH ARANG (this might be closer to : TIDAK MATI.......)
>Mengejar gajah dilangit , burung di tangan dilepaskan. Emoticon: Bye bye Emoticon: Bye bye Emoticon: Bye bye

bagusdewe
User
spacer line

>Ada lagi bangwin?

IndoKece
User
spacer line

I thought of one..

Tong kosong nyaring bunyi nya..

or it could be translated as NATO = No Action Talk Only Emoticon: Nice

spacer line  

Edwin, those proverbs that you present are not too popular among indonesians. But those of bangwin and mas bagusdewe are wellknown. Here are some commonly used proverbs that you might like to know:
1. bagaikan membuang garam ke laut (it means doing something useless)
2. tak kan lari gunung dikejar (it means whatever is destined for you, whether in terms of lucks, love, etc. you will get it somehow)
3. buruk muka cermin dibelah (it means blaming someone else for your own mistakes)
4. asam di gunung, garam di laut bertemu dalam kuali (well, it is used to describe a couple who come from two places faraway, eg. wife from asia, hubby from europe)
5. nila setitik rusak susu sebelanga (meaning :one small mistake ruins the whole thing)
udah aaah, nyambut gawe bae, banyak kerjaan neeeh aaargh! Emoticon: Stupid

bagusdewe
User
spacer line

>Sorry forgot the translation guys!

>Tiada gading yang tak retak (There is no unblemished/cracked elephant's tusk)
>Bagai telur diujung tanduk (As an egg facing a bull's horn)
>Seakan menegakkan benang basah (trying to hold straight up the wet sewing thread..)
>PATAH ARANG (There is no turning back)(this might be closer to : TIDAK MATI.......)
>Mengejar gajah dilangit , burung di tangan dilepaskan.(Chasing elephant in the sky, at the same time letting go a bird on your hand/you have to learn to appreciate what you've got!)

>Panjang tangan (Stingy, a thief, a pick pocket)
>Hidung Belang (sleazy, flirt, adulterous behaviour)
>Lempar batu sembunyi tangan (Blame on somebody...! not me!..)
>Bagai air didaun keladi (undecided personality)
>Should more than enough?.....

Emoticon: Bye bye

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

86,182,647 topic views - 240,314 posts - 13,732 topics - 33,702 members - last post @ 31-10-2020 05:12 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2020
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

140,578,728 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com