indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

andre
User
spacer line

There is a very real possibility that me and family will move to Bandung next year. Currently we are exploring our options with regards to accommodation, transportation and schools for our childeren (aged 4 and 8)

At Bandung international school the tuition and facilities fee amount to $10.450,-, the Bandung Alliance international school, doesn't list their tuition, but my guess is that it must in the same range.
There are also Indonesian private schools, such as Al Azhar and Trimulia that charge about Rp. 15.000.000 per year.
Lastly, there are the government owned schools (sekolah negeri), that cost between Rp. 1.500.000 and 2.500.000 per year.

So, does anybody have experience with selection of schools? Is an international school worth the extra money, or is about status? What about sekolah negeri? What is the quality of those schools compared to European schools?

Thank you in advance for your opinions!

Albert
User
User icon of Albert
spacer line

The level of an International school is also much higher then normal schools.

So if you wish to have a good school and not expensive but better then normal.

I have sent my daughter of 11 to a Catholic school. My wife is Muslim, she does not mind. Religion does not bring food on the table in the future (adult).
So a good education is much better then a good religion.
They learn on such a school more discipline and not much from the bible although catholic. They do not force her to change her religion to become a Catholic. They also put a lot of teaching into practise so not only theory. The level of the teachings is higher compared to Government school. English, science, also a lot more extra courses, Cheerleader compared to Government.
She can continue pray in a Muslim way, the school does not force her to pray in a way fits with the bible.

So for us we are happy we have sent her to a Catholic school. The level of the International school is too high for her.

But only our Muslim friends they do not understand that she studies at a Catholic school. People in this country find religion more important then food on the table or a career. But it is our kid and not theirs, so the Hell with their negative opinion.

P.s. the school is in Semarang central Java.

Wil je ook meester van je eigen leven zijn? http://www.goudenera.nl

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

Al Azhar is good enough .
Sekolah Interrnational belum tentu 7 atau 8 x lebih baik dari al azhar.

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

andre
User
spacer line

On 02-10-2007 16:36 sidia wrote: Sekolah International belum tentu 7 atau 8 x lebih baik dari al azhar.

That's exactly why I ask.

Probably the international school doesn't get any government funds, so I suspect the difference in funds available is smaller then it seems.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

Most of the murids are children of expats with a thick dompet.
Another alternative , try the best Catholic school in Bandung.
My reservation , some of the murids are children of rich people (a little bit spoiled).

belgianguy
User
User icon of belgianguy
spacer line

I've got one of my kids in the catholic school here, and though the fees are a bit higher then in the state schools, it translates into better quality of education...of course they are following the same basic curriculum as the state schools, but there is better discipline regarding school hours and study...because it's mostly children of rich people (usually chinese!) they take education and study more seriously
moreover, they don't seem to be pushy about religion, I have the same experience as albert

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

If there are not obligation to participate in jilbabs stuff,i would choose Al Azhar.
Not because I am a Muslim , its abt quality.
Otherwise a Catholic school , not a Christian (Protestant).

Blorong
User
spacer line

Yes, it is right in Indonesia catholic School & Islam private school some of them very higher quality Emoticon: Party! compare with others

Regina Pacis, Bogor / Al Azhar / Don Boso / lab school / Tarakanita / Santa Angela School ect..ect...

hobo1
User
spacer line

I have a close friend who is home schooling their son via a correspondence course. Some of the information is on the Internet, but much of the books and bulk materials are sent via mail. The boy, who is about 12, seems to be quite well educated to me when I talked to him.

I am faced with the same choice in the future - how to educate my young son. I don't want to deprive him of a social life with other kids in our village, yet I want to give a good foundation for college. Sending to local school, and then homeschooling seems to be a good option.

I talked to a Professor who taught at a good university in Singapore and he said most respectable universities will make every effort to accept a student from Indonesia, if they demonstrate skill and ability. In other words, just because the student has not taken the traditional route and have not passed some standard exam or gone to International schools is no reason to exclude a potential student from consideration to a good university.

Hideaway Bungalow in Kuta Lombok - check my homepage

Jantje
User
spacer line

On 02-10-2007 16:36 sidia wrote:
Al Azhar is good enough .
Sekolah Interrnational belum tentu 7 atau 8 x lebih baik dari al azhar.

If my translation is right, you’re saying: International schools are not yet 7 or 8x better than azhar.
Is my conclusion right that you mean international schools are 2 until 7x better than azhar.

Then you said: not a Christian (Protestant) Why not? Please explain.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 06-10-2007 17:55 Jantje wrote:

If my translation is right, you’re saying: International schools are not yet 7 or 8x better than azhar.

I am saying that I.S not X times better than Al Azhar .
You pay X more times but the quality is not X time better.
In the past my nephew went to A.A , now he is graduating from 1 of the best American University. Technical Industrial Engineer , with scholarship .
De first years is very important for a child in his further live.
Everyone must try to get the best for their children.
(prijs kwaliteit verhouding Emoticon: Blush )
Silahkan , mas .

My experience(also others): the catholics school are better than Sekolah Kristen(Protestant)

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

An international school is definitely not better. I have seen a lot of sad results of these schools (especially from the JIS from Jkt). Children grow up without any ties to a certain culture and become cultureless children (and mostly not strong enough to stand the future).
But if you bring your child to an international school, then only Jkt because then it is still able to socialize with children of important people (diplomats, important Indonesians) who can provide you a network for the future. Forget International schools in Bali, Yogyakarta and Bandung.
First they do have the trash Australia (or USA) don't need anymore, as teacher,and then you can always become a teacher on an international school where the salary is some lower but the living costs are cheaper.
Second: the kids on an international school are the children of rich (rich is not the same as intelligent) people who normally don't get their money from intelectual thinking but from cheating or something like that. No, it's definitely no example of intelligence: it's the money that counts.
Three: there are a lot of Indonesian schools which are quite modern (it takes some time but you will succeed at the end). Not the catholic old fashioned ones, but modern aimed and organized (and no stupid religion).

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

I even know of 2 situations where a child was graduated on an international school and couldn't go to university in Europe because the level was far too low (American system). They only could go to universities in South East Asia.
Think about that also. Most of the international schools are American based and not European.

madrotter
User
User icon of madrotter
spacer line

completely on point yogya-bali

Jantje
User
spacer line

On 06-10-2007 19:08 sidia wrote:

My experience(also others): the catholics school are better than Sekolah Kristen(Protestant)

Have you been both to a catholic and protestant school or is this a grapevine issue. Please elaborate on your statement. Emoticon: Shiny

I myself have no experience on the matter but I heard a 7 year old Dutch kid from an international school speak English the other day. To me it sounded perfect in pronunciation and communication something I cannot say for any local child or adult. In fact their knowledge of the English language is dreadful. I was only wandering if the international school would be a better choice to learn the English language in order to become a world citizen, and the fact that there may not be so much emphasis on religion.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 07-10-2007 03:21 Jantje wrote:

Have you been both to a catholic and protestant school or is this a grapevine issue. Please elaborate on your statement. Emoticon: Shiny

I had an Indonesian back ground , SR,SMP.SMA and 1 Year U.K.I
Its jadul ( tempo doeloe) , decades ago , but we had already a ranking system.. My Frobelschool was half dutch , my S.R. was I.E.V GIKI Jakarta .
My SMP was an Sekolah Negrei , its my own choise.
My parents choise was Canisius Jakarta Menteng. With a test . My SMA is also Negeri , in that time a vry nice school , ex HBS C.A.S. Djakarta.
UKI = Universitas Kristen Indonesia.

And I have many many friends (also Chinese friends) and later their childeren who are going to Catholic or Protestant school. Most of them are chosing Catholic.

Silahkan Mas (bisa dicek Emoticon: Smile )
Sorry for my batubara english Emoticon: Blush

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

Jantje if you need some good people with brains and good education e, maybe I can help you .

But you must pay them in dollar or euro , not in rupie. Emoticon: Yes!

Jantje
User
spacer line

On 07-10-2007 09:57 sidia wrote:

I had an Indonesian back ground ,and 1 Year U.K.I
Its jadul ( tempo doeloe) , decades ago , but we had already a ranking system.. My Frobelschool was half dutch , my S.R. was I.E.V GIKI Jakarta .
My SMP was an Sekolah Negrei , its my own choise.
My parents choise was Canisius Jakarta Menteng. With a test . My SMA is also Negeri , in that time a vry nice school , ex HBS C.A.S. Djakarta.
UKI = Universitas Kristen Indonesia.

And I have many many friends (also Chinese friends) and later their childeren who are going to Catholic or Protestant school. Most of them are chosing Catholic.

Silahkan Mas (bisa dicek Emoticon: Smile )
Sorry for my batubara english Emoticon: Blush

Tells me nothing.
ANIS!! Help!!!

andre
User
spacer line

On 06-10-2007 23:09 Yogya-Bali wrote: An international school is definitely not better. ... ... Forget International schools in Bali, Yogyakarta and Bandung....

I think you have a point there YB, most international schools have a lot of vacancy's and I guess the longer a vacancy is open, the lower the hiring standards become.

As for Bandung International school, they are a part of the IB world school network. Their main office is in Geneva. On another forum the Jakarta International school (also an IB-school) got a really positive review from a parent.

Al Azhar, sofar doesn't really impress me. Half of their website is down, and my e-mails aren't replied to. Al Farisi gave me an answer the next day, with a very clear answer in English. I'll visit Al Azhar, Al Farisi and BIS this November. And I hope I can take this very difficult decision after that.

mluckham
User
spacer line

Do all these schools (including Al Azhar and the Catholic schools mentioned) teach in English? I know that most of the International schools do (except Indian, Japanese, Korean, etc) - my two daughters attended Bogor International School (BIS) in 1991-2 timeframe, they had mostly Australian teachers/system and it was excellent. They had no problem re-integrating to Canadian schools upon return, and are this year graduating from University in Pharmacy and Computer Science.

mluckham
User
spacer line

BIS was also way cheaper than JIS - which was a major factor in deciding to live in Bogor rather than Jakarta where I worked. In fact, Bogor being (at that time) at the end of the toll road meant my drive was only 30-40 minutes ... friends living IN Jakarta had much longer commute times than that Emoticon: Smile

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

Andre, maybe you can share your decision as soon as you have decided?

Begin de details te vergeten

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 24-10-2007 02:54 mluckham wrote:
Bogor being (at that time) at the end of the toll road meant my drive was only 30-40 minutes ...

Bukit Bogor Raya , near Novotel , with golf course and International school ?
I had a small gubuk mungil for 3 yrs .

andre
User
spacer line

Thanks for all your replies. Along with other information I gathered, my opinion has shifted more towards an Indonesian school + . But like I said, visiting the schools is essential to our decision.

I will let you know how we decide, but my first priority now is making sure we actually get the chance to move and negotiating how much my future employer is willing to compensate for schooling cost.

andre
User
spacer line

About two weeks ago we visited Al Azhar, Al Farizi and Bandung International School (BIS). I have to admit that I was shocked by the difference between the highly recommended school+ (Al Azhar and Al Farizi) and the international school.

The atmosphere in BIS and the Indonesian schools are opposite. There is a quiet and relaxed atmosphere in BIS. In the Indonesian schools there are a lot of pupils running around the campus, playing/yelling whilst others are in the class. The classes in the Indonesian schools are maximized to 30 pupils and three teachers per class. Both schools have a waiting list for certain grades because classes are full. This means that our daughter could start right away in 2nd grade, but our son has to wait seven months before he can enter. This means he will be four years and seven months before he can start school!

Whereas Al Farizi gave a very good impression from the Netherlands (functional website, quick response to our e-mail) their reception on campus was dramatic. From the gate, we were directed to the teachers lounge, where nobody could assist us. From the teachers lounge, we were directed to some office and from there to another office, where finally there was someone able to inform us about the school and the tuition fees. The tuition fees presented to us, were outdated and up to date fees were not available. In the end, nobody could show us around the campus so the guard showed us around. He didn't allow us to see inside the school as he was worried about our permission to do so. Of course, he couldn't answer any of our questions.

Though the school+ advertise with teaching in English, this is not true. They have English class, but the other classes are taught in Indonesian. This is not a problem, but the fact that the information on the website is incorrect is.

At BIS, our contact person had become ill, so he couldn't receive us. However, someone else showed us around campus and we were able to talk to the kindergarten teacher who was available, because the children were playing outside. We could see inside the classes which were no bigger then 20 children.

To answer my own question, Is an international school worth the extra money?:
YES , Bandung International School is, based on the following:
  • A diploma of BIS (an IB world school) is accepted throughout the world.
  • Small classes
  • Experience with receiving children from abroad
  • Solid, smooth organization
  • peaceful, quiet atmosphere
  • Nice blend of local and foreign pupils (our children won't be an exception)
  • Pupils are taught to become independent thinkers
  • Excellent well kept campus

This is our impression and opinion. The Indonesian schools we visited came highly recommended by people in Bandung. However the difference in quality as far as we can estimate is just to big.

• You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
    If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

77,647,862 topic views - 235,464 posts - 13,700 topics - 26,357 members - last post @ 11-12-2019 22:22 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
    Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

126,714,284 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com