indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

happyman
User
spacer line

Yesterday I went to the hospital seeking medical advise for my forthcoming trip.

They told me about Malaria: Java and Bali are fine but for Sumatra you need anti-malaria drugs. They find their info from books with maps with little detail on it so I was not too impressed with their advise.

On internet I found a little more detailed info: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/des(...)nationIndonesia.aspx

I know mosquitos don't know about borders and traveladvise, they just fly. Where does "rural" start or finish?

Is there anybody who can tell me if travelling near Lake Toba is a high risk area? Would there be more danger in places like Nias and Aceh or would there be more danger near lakes like Toba or Maninjou?

My plan was to stay 2 months in Sumatra mainly going around the lakes on motorbike sleeping in tourist areas and doing daytrips from there.

For conflict in medication, I am advised not to take malaria prophylaxis (not only Lariam but also Malarone) if possible but of course if danger is real, then I should use Malarone.

Knowing how riduculous my question is, I am going to ask it anyway: Would not taking malaria prophylaxis be more dangerous than going around the lakes on a rented motorbike?

HorasBatak
User
User icon of HorasBatak
spacer line

Most HealthCare services always advice Malaria profilaxis (maybe because they earn money with the disription) but the last time i was in Medan and met with the consuler attache of the Netherlands he told me malaria was no problem around Toba. (already a time ago)

So my advice is: ask a local (westerner) about malaria or other health problems.

Kepala botak tapi dengan otak

happyman
User
spacer line

Thanks for your help, I emailed the Dutch consul and he had not changed his mind, don't worry about malaria he said, but be aware of Dengue.

Robert70
User
spacer line

I worked for a halve year in the Aceh area, I'm just back. I worked also in the Highlands in the Aceh province, it is like the Toba area. At the moment it is a risk area. When you take care, use DEET and mosquito net, airco, fan, long sleeves and that sort of things, yes you reduce risk. BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A RISK. Medan is not really a problem. Some other expats didn't take profilaxis and get ill, they also started Malarone. I used Larium and hadn't a problem. For 2 months I should advice Malarone. If you have medical problems, only take malarone with you. You can use it when you GET Malaria. Take good care off your body.
Have a wunderfull trip!!!!!!! Very nice people up there.

Robert70
User
spacer line

By the way, Malarone is not easy to get in Sumatra. There is only a chance in Jakarta, Java off course, or try it with the Aid organisations in Aceh, like Red Cross, MSF, etc. Local you CAN"T get it.

happyman
User
spacer line

Thanks for your input Robert, I will bring Malarone with me for emergencies, not as profilaxis. It is easy to buy here in Holland. Glad to hear you had a great time there!

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

85,291,474 topic views - 240,165 posts - 13,729 topics - 33,261 members - last post @ 25-09-2020 14:11 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2020
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

139,016,018 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com