indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jawa / Java > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (3 reactions)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

Dear all,

After several visitations to several restaurants in Yogyakarta i would like to announce my personal opinion about some " Emoticon: Cry in)famous" restaurants within Yogya area.

Ranking number one so far is "Omah Dwuruh" in Kota Gede. A stylish restaurant like fusion interior. Nice beautifull, Feng Shui, garden. It is a mixture of Indonesian, old Dutch, Chinese architecture. The former owner was a well known silver artist. The kitchen is rapid, not expensive, excellent, and the restaurant is not far wawy from downtown Yogya.

The "famous" local know restaurant for its chicken recipies is "Ibu Sihardo". Situated on the boundary of Yogya city on the way to the airport is this restaurant, cantine setup, restaurant. Caged birds all around, famous pictures and paintings of Ibu herself. Probably it is a good restaurant, if you like deepfried chicken. I prefer not to conserve myself in oil, and like to have a real bite in a chicken breast, it is not something you get there. So it really is a local famous thing. According to me.

Local foreign people like the restaurant "Gajah Wong". A Western style kitchen, with steaks and others. If your stomack is not up to the Indonesian style of cooking, go there. If you want to change the Indonesian kitchen with a nice plate a fried potatoes, boiled potatoes, with a meat platter come here, it is good for reasonable prices. But it is mostly a western style orientated restaurant, which is good for the change or alternative. Nothing more nothing less.

The wellknown dish from Yogya is "Gudeg". Which is a meal made of the Jackfruit, Nangka in Indonesian. It is a sweet dish made of the young Jackfruit. Yummie if you can not digest pedas food, hot food. Yuck if you like salty or sour food. I rather have easter javanese food, with green lombok, green hot chilly peppers. But the change of the dish is good, once in a while.

I must say that I most prefer all kaki lima's around town. The es campur, mixed ice. You get a plate of scraped ice with young coconut flesh, dourian (if available and requested), agar in all sorst of colours and shapes, sometimes rose sirop. It is a dessert and I love it.
Another kaki lima specialty I like is sate Kambing, goat sateh. With three or four pieces of goat meat and one fat piece in the middle. Acompanied by a wonderfull kacang sauce, espacially the sate Kambing Madura is my favourite.
Furthermore there is the Bakso dish. Some kind of meatball soup. Served with sambal is the best, normally you can take the less hot sweet sambal. Writing this makes me already hungry.
Do not forget to go to the kopi (coffe) sellers, they have fried bananas, fried sweet potato and other nice fried snacks.

If anyone knows a good restaurant in Yogya, please let me know. I am an explorere, not only the country, mostly its kitchen!!

Sepp Buys

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

Not a restaurant, but a nice warung to eat from early in the evening until about 4.00 in the night: Angkringan Tugu. How to get there? really easy!

If you are on the Malioboro side of the railroad (the entrance of the train station is there as well) cross the railroad and take the first road to the left.

But if you are by motorbike, you will have to drive around for a few kilometers since there are many one-way streets, and you are not allowed to cross the railroad crossing with any motorised object. (Police is right on the spot in their pos polisi , so hati-hati ya

Gudeg is good, but I forgot where I ate it

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

So the warung Angkringan Tugu, is just across the railroad, taking the roundtour under the railroad bridge, towards the Ibiss hotel, but than near the railroad crossing itself??

Sepp

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

Yes, you are right. In fact it is not a single warung, but about ten of them, and they named themselved Angkringan tugu, of course popular among students.

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

Ahhh,

Been there. At least in one of them. "good food", "reasonable prices", sounds like a coffee brand comercial.

Sepp

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

On 11-07-2004 18:47 Sepp Buys wrote:
Ahhh,

Been there. At least in one of them. "good food", "reasonable prices", sounds like a coffee brand comercial.

Sepp

or iklan rokok full taste, not mild.... doh... but just enjoy the food there. Sate telur is very good with a big jar of teh es ( more ice rock than teh though)

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

Es Teh,

More gulah than teh, dong

SEpp

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

On 11-07-2004 18:56 Sepp Buys wrote:
Es Teh,

More gulah than teh, dong

SEpp

yeah.. but it's okay for me. I like sweet.. teh manis dan wanita gadis, right?

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

Yerun,

Gadis manis. Kideloh. For me everything manis is breaking my ivory in my teeth, therefore"not good". But the gadis manis my theeth can "handle", my dentist knows now how to support my teeth, dealing too much sugar. I am a happy customer of his', and he makes me smile with white teeth again.

Sepp

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

On 11-07-2004 19:07 Sepp Buys wrote:
Yerun,

Gadis manis. Kideloh. For me everything manis is breaking my ivory in my teeth, therefore"not good". But the gadis manis my theeth can "handle", my dentist knows now how to support my teeth, dealing too much sugar. I am a happy customer of his, and he makes me smile with white teeth again.

Sepp

So at the end, two happy people, one with a little bit more money and one with a little less. Money doesn't matter, right?

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

Bleaching the teeth with oxygen hydrate is also a possibility, or brushing with ashes. Bith I rather stick with my Chinese, not knowing any English dentist. My company pays my health expenses, since this country is cheap, 100%. No expenses made by me, although sometimes i have to wait for my wages.

And I do not complain about "me teeth". Eating rubberlike veal, or rubberlike meat makes the teeth hard again. Not only gula, I hate gula, as i hate minyak. I hate it if I eat tahu or tempeh, and the oil squeezes out of the food. But hey, that is the way it has to be cooked. Love it or leave it.

Sepp

LelyCabe
User
spacer line

dear Sepp just to make a correct name for the restaurant that you were mention, it's called "Omah Dhuwur".
The development of Jogja recently are very great, and many coffee shop with their own specialities were open in jogja, and jogja become more crowded every year, and new mall/shoping center in jogja area will be build in in this year.
Angkirang Tugu is the alternative place for most student to eat and they can discuss anything there without spending much money to rent the meeting room, or just hang out with the friends or family till late,and the place is really in the heart of the town, it's close till 5 a.m. Most students/young people will be called "tidak gaul" if they don't know it. Emoticon: Bye bye

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

LelyCabe,

You are right the restaurant is called Omah Dhuwur. But please explain what you mean by " tidak gaul"

Sepp

zainm
User
spacer line

I didn't see Rumah Makan Ayam Goreng Ny Suharti listed here. It is the most famous fried chicken restaurant in Yogya. Yum yum. Don't know exactly where it is locatefd. Locals should know it by heart. She opens many branches in other cities too. The chicken is not oily, very crispy indeed.

"Tidak gaul" means you are a nerd, not sociable, old-fashioned, etc. "Gaul" has become a popular jargon for having lost of friends and popular. Of course this term is only popular among teens and young executives.

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

This all starts to sound like Sex and the City, whereas New York is replaced by Yogyakarta.

Sepp

anilvr548
User
spacer line

any indian style place serving TANDOORI CHICKEN in yogya ??

anilvr548
User
spacer line

tha !!

i thought,i asked a simple question !

i love true INDIA TANDOORI FOOD IN YOGYA !

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

Once I had lunch at a place called (sorry forgot the name)..it's a "all-U-can-eat" style in Jogya.

If you want to find out what the restaurant is, call Bapak Djamari, the driver who took me there, he can be reached at # 081578813916.

Tell him the restaurant (not far from Marlioboro) where BULE eats.

Desi Clark

Effort and Courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

On 31-07-2004 02:08 anilvr548 wrote:
tha !!

i thought,i asked a simple question !

i love true INDIA TANDOORI FOOD IN YOGYA !

I could not find a place in Jogya where they served Tandoori Chicken, but here's a few of (i think) good restro :

Pesta Perak Rest serves special Indonesian Buffet. Jl. Tentara Rakyat - Mataram 8

Mataram Indah Rest serves a special menu from white water fish dishes. Surrounded by pools. Jl. Wonosari Km7, Baturetno, Banguntapan, Bantul.

Pilar Resto: Steak Club with wide range of menu, movie studio and billiard sport cafe. Jl. Gedong Kuning 124.

Kampoeng Setoeran: Feel the wild wild west ambience. Regular live music every night. Special menu: Lamb steak and tuna steak and es teler. Jl. Raya Setura 11A.

Depot Bis Nge...tem. feel the trip ambience in a bus resto. serves spagetti, soups, hotdog, soto madura and many juices. Jl. Raya Seturan 1A.

Rumah Kopi. original taste of coffee bean. Open daily 01pm till 10pm. Komplek Yadara IV/ No. 07 Babarsari.

Bukit Indah Resto. A breath-taking view from the hill of Wonosari. Special menu: traditional red rice, seafood and western food. Jl. Wonosari Km 15.

Steamboat restaurant. The only seafood steamboat resto in Jogja, also serves chinese food. Baturetno, Banguntapan-Bantul.

Phew!..they should pay me for free ad.. Emoticon: Yes!

Bon Appetite!
Desi Clark

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

Unfortunately but restaurant Gajah Wong is closed until september, it is high season for the tourists but this "hype" restaurant is closed. Clever. Food good, atmosphere good, service good, prices 80.000 Rp for a tenderloin, normal.

Gabah very good service perfect and excellent wine.

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

Hey Desi,

Thanks for the addresses, I think I should pay more attention to remembering names and places.. I tend to forget them real soon. Emoticon:

Yerun

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

On 17-08-2004 18:58 Jeroen wrote:
Hey Desi,

Thanks for the addresses, I think I should pay more attention to remembering names and places.. I tend to forget them real soon. Emoticon:

Yerun

No problem Yerun....

Hmm, forget something easily huh.....that is a sign of aging.... >:*

Ciao,
Desi Clark

rosetine
User
spacer line

hai sepp buy, do u now milas restaurant??? it near prawirotaman, at jalam mantijeron. it's nice reataurant but that restauran vegatarian. the place is quite n cheap too. open on thu until sunday on 9 am- 10 pm. good luck n best regard, rose

Sepp Buys
User
User icon of Sepp Buys
spacer line

sometimes a person needs some veggies as well!! Thanks Rose

dangdude03
User
User icon of dangdude03
spacer line

For me as lover of Chinese food I always had troubles finding a good restaurant in Yogya. Since Rumah Makan Kowloon on Kompleks Colombo was closed I tried ‘Oshin Restaurant’ on the Jl.Malioborow 53. I must say, for a Chinese in Indonesia the place had a cosy atmosphere and the food was not bad at all. The only drawback was that as soon my friends and I started eating the owner of the place, Mr.Yundy Kristiano took a microphone and began to sing a Dutch wooden shoes song called Una Paloma Blanca. After a whole repertoire of karaoke songs which ended with My way, he asked me and my friends to try to sing a song, but I was heaving a bad throat at that moment as well as my friends. So, next time I’m in Yogya, I still have to find a good Chinese restaurant.
Bye, Jan.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

88,925,297 topic views - 240,839 posts - 13,736 topics - 34,487 members - last post @ 26-02-2021 17:04 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2021
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

144,871,135 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com