indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

spacer line  

Can anyone give me an idea of approximately how much it costs to buy a small plot of land in Bukit Lawang please? I realise foreigners can't buy land there - its for a local person. The land would be to build a small home so not too large. I've searched on the internet but can't find this information anywhere so would be grateful if someone here could help.

Many thanks!

Sue Gillespie, Jersey, Channel Islands

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Sue,
You will not get any information like that on the internet. Bukit Lawang is a small rural village and there is no internet there, the closest being Binjai at least two hours away by bus.
Becky should be able to give you an idea when the land was purchased for the medical centre, though it is not in BL.
I think you will find the land will be quite expensive in Bukit Lawang and being a foreigner buying the land for someone I guess the seller will want the premium price.
News travels fast on Bukit Lawang.
Please email me at pamelajoyfugeRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.hotmail.com and I can give you the email of someone I know who was thinking of buying land to do some special projects there and once I had some money I wanted to become involved as well. She is currently back in U.K, but from my understanding will be heading back there in July and could be an excellent contact for you.
Pamela.

spacer line  

Hi Pamela

I know there is no internet in Bukit Lawang but I was searching for a ballpark figure for the cost of land in the general area.

The land Rebecca bought for the clinic is about four or five times the size of what I had in mind although I guess I could take that as a rough guide. Also, a friend has already bought land for someone in Bukit Lawang but the price he paid is much less than the figure I've been quoted. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the correct information.

I know people in Bukit Lawang are very poor and they probably think of us as rich when they see how far our cash goes over there. Obviously, they don't realise that, when we're at home, we're poor too!!

I'm trying my best to help a friend in Bukit Lawang to have a better future.

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

Something smal you probably also know: If a foreigner shows up, the price hikes generally. So try to avoid that in the first place, that will be of great benefit later.

spacer line  

Yerun

Thank you for that advice. I do know they'll hike up the price if they realise its being paid for by a foreigner. I'm sending money every month to my friend in Bukit Lawang so the seller won't realise the land is not being bought by a local.

spacer line  

Hati, Hati, money sent every month to a place like Indonesia is such a temptation for the receiver to spend as soon as received and give you many reasons as to why the money was spent- like my mother or father was sick and needed to go to the doctor or relative died and had to pay for the funeral and so on.
Much better idea would be for you to save in your bank account and send in one lump sum via Western Union or Money Gram or some organisation like that.
Bukit Lawang is notorious for scams on foreigners- just beware.

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

Sue; why that local doesn't go to a local development bank? Yeah, it takes longer to get the money probably, but conditions are generally not that hard for as far as I know. Maybe after that you can help them paying off that official credit, so you know where the money goes.

Just something that was in my mind after reading the post of matahari_bunga.

spacer line  

matahari_bunga/Yerun

Thank you both for your advice.

I do know that there are many scams like this - other friends have told me the same. Its difficult because when you go there and see how poor people are you just want to do something to help. I'm aware that I may get ripped off but if that's the case, I'll simply stop sending the money.

I suppose I just have to trust my friend for now. I'm trying to give him a chance of a better life. If he doesn't take that chance he would be the one to lose out in the end. At the end of the day, its not a huge amount of money for me so I'm willing to risk it.

There is no relationship between me and my friend in Bukit Lawang. He is just a young guy I met there who is very poor with no real prospects. I suppose because I have a son of a similar age, it made me want to try to help him. I want nothing in return other than to know that he uses the money wisely.

I really wish I could speak Indonesian. It would be easier if I could write to him to explain how important it is that he saves the money I send and to let him know I'm aware of the scams going on there. Unfortunately, his English is not great and my Indonesian is non-existent!

sebastian
User
spacer line

Hi Sue

Ya like matahari_bunga said...Hati Hati with sending money, it's not only the temptation but the preasure from others family,friends, neighbours if they know they are receiving money.

Regarding the land, I haven't been too Bukit Lawang but imagine the true/real local price would be similar price to other areas in Sumatra including water front land in remote areas can go for about rrp30,000 plus per meter depending on the total size among other factors, things like this can vary so much, and if they know there is a westerner involved it's totally different, even for perhaps non locals to the area.

The figure I gave is from a combination of a few sources as I have been researching to buy land for my wifes family in Sumatra.

spacer line  

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, I imagine the price of land would be in line with other areas in Sumatra and thank you for giving me some idea of the cost per metre.

How many metres would you say would be required to build a modest home? I have absolutely no idea of these things...hahaa!!

I'm just trying to get a rough price guide in my mind so that I know what I'm aiming at.

I have a friend who is planning a trip to Bukit Lawang in August or September. I was thinking of telling my friend that he has to show her his bank statement while she is there to prove that he is saving the money. Its very difficult for me to get anything across to him though with the language difficulties.

If I could speak Indonesian my problems would be halved but, unfortunately, I don't. Having said that, I do find the people on this site very helpful and am extremely grateful for all the advice I've been given.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Sue,
I totally agree with Matahari and Sebastion about sending money every month. Would it be possible for you to send a lump sum later?
If your friend is going over in August or September would it be possible for you to get all the money for the land together by then and your friend deliver that to the young man.
In March this year I sent money Western Union to be picked up in Medan by my English friend who was visiting Bukit Lawang and she was able to hand all the money to Ima's( the blind girl- I help) mother.
The other day I had the best news that the shop I wanted them to build has been built and now they are stocking the shop and it will open in June.
I could have sent the money month by month, but it was all going to be too difficult and I wanted to avoid the temptation of the money being taken out before the goal had been reached.
I say this because I have been helping people in Indonesia since 1997 and have learnt the hard way.
We, western people want to do the very best for the disadvantaged people in the world, but first we need to understand the culture that today is today and tomorrow can look after itself which is the complete opposite to how we think and live.
You sound like a wonderfully caring person and I would hate to think you will be disappointed in the end.
I know the feeling I have been there many times, but it has not stopped me from helping, just made me relook at how I do things and put other strageties into place so the end goal is reached with a win win for both parties.
Wishing you all the best in your current venture.
I am hoping I can get some time off from my new job in December and head back to Bukit Lawang to see the shop and Ima's family.
Pamela.

spacer line  

Hi Pamela

I am taking the advice I've been given here on board and, of course, I'm very grateful to the people who took the time to reply here.

Its a difficult situation. I do realise that there will be an enormous temptation for him to spend the money I'm sending every month instead of banking it for the future but, on the other hand, I feel that I should show I trust him and have faith in him. I don't want him to think I'm going to break my promise to help him.

Having said that, I might consider putting the money aside here every month and waiting until I have the full amount before sending it (or even taking it over myself). Its the language difficulty that is causing me most problems right now as I'm not able to explain my reasoning to my friend and I don't want to offend him in any way.

I might have a look at some online translators to help me write a letter explaining my concerns.

I suppose, at the end of the day, if he's spent the money then its because he has nothing and perhaps I've placed too much responsibility on him by expecting him to save. As I said before, its not a huge amount of money by Western standards so I've not lost much and it won't put me off helping in any way I can. I'll try to explain that I'm not angry if he's spent the money but that I've decided to save the money on his behalf and send it when I have the full amount.

I just feel bad that he might think I'm letting him down - which I'm not.

Great news about the shop - I bet you can't wait to get over there to see it for yourself.

Thanks again!

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Sue,

I am so happy to read that you will give all our ideas due consideration.

Also I have to say it is an absolute pleasure to have you on this forum and I want to thank you so much for posting all those photos of the medical centre, the new railings for the bridge and the complete remade wooden bridge.

I have posted the link on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree where I post daily and also on the Bukit Lawang Appeal website which is now more of an information site and I try to keep the readers up to date with the latest happenings in BL because of the no. of former BL residents who now live throughout the world.
Plus I have sent the link to many friends throughout the world who have special contacts with BL.

Regards,
Pamela.

bedoel
User
spacer line

I might have a look at some online translators to help me write a letter explaining my concerns.

Hi Sue,

Very nice to see your concern to help this guy... I am originally from Medan, now studying abroad. I can help translating if you need. Or other way that I might be able to help.
Just mail me at agnotirRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.gmail.com.

spacer line  

Hi Bedoel

Thank you so much for your kind offer to help me with the translation.

I will email you now!!!

spacer line  

Pamela

I've decided to take the advice I've been offered here and will now write to my friend in Bukit Lawang (with Bedoel's assistance) and let him know I will save the money in the bank here for him instead of sending it every month.

When I have enough, I'll go over there and make sure he buys the land.

I just hope that he isn't offended in any way. I'm trying to do the right thing but don't want to hurt his feelings.

Its a difficult situation!!

matthew
User
spacer line

Most people live in Gotong Royong, which is the nearby village (Removed to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile. 1km). There is not really any land for houses in Bukit Lawang although there are some very small houses recently built next to the river by the government.

You could certainly buy a small house (tiny by English standards) in Gotong Royong for about 10,000,000 rp (about 600), this would be small indeed and not adjacent to the road.

Land in Bukit Lawang itself is somewhat premium due to its tourist value, and it would be somewhat unnecessary to pay that premium rather than living in Gotong Royong, although I think you could perhaps buy one of the tiny government-built houses for about 10,000,000rp or so.

There really is nobody in the area who could afford to spend substantially more than this - a modest Western-style house of solid construction and 3 bedrooms would cost about 10,000, but nobody could possibly afford to build or buy such a thing, outside of Westerners.

I would say 2,000 is probably a sensible budget for an 'Indonesian' house in that it would not be a total rabbit hutch, but it would neither be the envy of all the neighbours.

Alternatively such a sum would commonly be used to buy a modest piece of agricultural land, such as a rubber or durian plantation. The yield is probably not as good as the bank (perhaps 10% PA assuming none of your own labour), but it is at least a durable asset whereas cash in the bank would be spent and subject to the vagaries of inflation.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Matthew, Welcome to Indahnesia.
I think you will find that those horrid little houses that the Govt built for the refugees of the flood have a price tag of 20 million rupiah on them from what I understand. That price was bandied around when I was there last Sept/Oct.
But as you say what local would be able to pay that price for one.

Buying a piece of land that would generate an income for someone would be a good idea, but guess there is more money to be outlaid after the initial purchase.

I am hoping to return to Bukit Lawang again in December if I can get the time off from my new job.
Pamela.

spacer line  

Sue, pleased to read you will write to your friend and explain you want to give the money in a lump sum.
This is a good idea.

let987
User
spacer line

4 years latter, I am curious to know what has been the outcome of this generous intention to help? I spent 5 months in Bukit Lawang in 2010 and if anything I dont feel pitty for people living there. To me they are lazy and only try to get a better life by playing the pitty game with westerners and of course seducing western women. Don't get me wrong there are nice people as well but I would never help any of them because at the end of the day they are not trying very hard... They perceive tourists as cash cows and when you spend a bit more time there you soon realise that they are not all as nice as they seem at first!

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi let987,

What were you doing in Bukit Lawang for 5 months - I would love to know.
Sounds like you hung out with what I call the Rif Raf of Bukit Lawang...
And yes there are plenty of them in BL trying to relieve you of your hard earnt money.

However there are some really lovely people in that village too whom I have known for years.
Life in Indonesia in general is a very very hard existence and it is not as easy, as in the west to get a job and make money.
And over the years I have helped a family or two there who were really deserving of my help.
Currently I am educating a wonderful young man towards his dream to be a fashion designer. Next month he will undertake a 4 month sewing course to prepare him for fashion design college.
Check out his blog with his beautiful fashion drawings he does.
thetamacious.blogspot.com/2011(...)ahgutama-agatha.html
and about 4 yrs ago I built a shop for a young blind woman for her and her family to make an income.
Just wanted to illustrate they are not All bad.
Pamela

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

50,057,151 topic views - 222,308 posts - 13,490 topics - 16,281 members - last post @ 26-09-2017 23:41 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

90,182,051 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com