indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

heliumhead
User
spacer line

Living in Indonesia now for quite some time as a foreigner and I have to say I am shocked about the attitude of the rich and wealthy in Indonesia. When you look around it is unbelievable to see what houses are being built and what cars people are driving in and around Jakarta. If you have a look in the shopping malls and see all these spoiled and rich kids and women just shop untill they drop every day at the most expensive shops when meanwhile on the streets there is so much misery. These people are doing absolutely nothing for the poor people in this country.
My question is if you life in a country with so many poor people, why do you have to show your wealth in such a way??
I've been travelling most of the world but I've never seen so many rich with anti-social behaviour. These people make me sick, maybe they should buy another bmw or mercedes park next to the x- number of cars already parked on the drive way.
I would like to know if there is more people sharing my opinion or am I maybe the only one who notices??

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

Its bad attitude .
its only the nouveau riches , the so called OKB(Orang Kaya Baru) or OBM (Orang Baru Melek) .
With their ber-gengsi style , its kampungan (not done). Emoticon: Yes!

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

AnisJ
User
User icon of AnisJ
spacer line

Heliumhead (???) yth.,

• Jolly good question ...... I also have the idea that rich INDOnesian people in the big cities have a sort of 'unhealthy competition among eachother' in INDOnesian they say 'lan tida mau kala dengan lan' ....... whether Christian of Islamist I think they all share this same attitude(s) they do not know modesty ....... at certaintime(s) they they tend to 'show-off' their richness ......

• 'Ahu kura ahia, mansia nia'

4yoke4
    User
    User icon of 4yoke4
    spacer line

Heliumhead,

Every word is right in my opinion, I also don't like the attitude of the new rich people in Indonesia. But who am I, yust another tourist in their country.

Om Sid,
    I think "it's kampungan" is maybe the right word but I like the people in the kampung more than the boring rich people in the city

Emoticon: Yawn

Het zou in de wereld heel wat vrediger toegaan als men minder op elkaar zou letten en meer op elkaar zou passen

AnisJ
    User
    User icon of AnisJ
    spacer line

• Yo, 'nona manis', are the rich people from 'kampung' not going to the big city 'where the action is' .....

• 'Ahu kura ahia, mansia nia'

4yoke4
    User
    User icon of 4yoke4
    spacer line

May be, I don't know Anis,perhaps when they have enough money they want to buy a new car and a new "fresh" wife and for that ,I presume ,they like to go to the big city. After that I don't like them anymore Emoticon: Bye bye

Het zou in de wereld heel wat vrediger toegaan als men minder op elkaar zou letten en meer op elkaar zou passen

Malam
    User
    User icon of Malam
    spacer line

When people have a job and a good life they have an eye for the poor and the family, when people become very rich they lose their social feelings.
    They only want more and more, not only in Indonesia but all over the world.

sidia
    User
    User icon of sidia
    spacer line

On 10-02-2007 19:57 4yoke4 wrote:

,they like to go to the big city.

thats why the orang kota say , or called them "orang kampung - an-" Emoticon: Blush

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

heliumhead
    User
    spacer line

They only want more and more, not only in Indonesia but all over the world. [/quote]

The way the filthy rich are showing off here is beyond all decency, and I don't agree with you, this is not every where. And I still don't understand the why. It would be interesting to see how much these people have contributed Removed to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile. times of disasters like the tsunami when most of the civilized world gave in such a generous way to help relieve the suffering! Besides the billions the rest of the world has contributed I haven't heard ANYTHING about the contributions of these people in Indonesia as everybody knows some of the richest people in the world are living here in Indonesia.

AnisJ
    User
    User icon of AnisJ
    spacer line

H.H yth.

"..... is it not more or less comparable with the man in the street, in the west, does he/she know that, according to records, the richest man on earth Bill Gates, is spending $ 800,-- million for an aids programme in Africa ....."

'Ahu kura ahia, mansia nia'

heliumhead
    User
    spacer line

By the way, IF the rich would have given any decent amount of money, they certainly would have made sure the whole world had heard about it since they love showing off, so please rest asured NO money was given.

spacer line  

The first time I went to Asia, (china Bejing) I was so suprised and shocked that so many people where poor and living on the street, everywhere I noticed them, could not miss them. I was even more supprised that the rich people acted like they did not exist, drive there big cars and not even noticing all those poor people.
    It made me so upset, so careless.....
    Now I'm 18 years further in Asia and now I just read this topic It actually made me realise that also I do not really notice the poor anymore, I see them of course, but its just a part of life here.
    I think its more something like a blindness that people get when arround a situation long enough.

But one thing I agree with, here in Indonesia the status you have with the amount of money you have is much more important then in many other countries.

Greetz

Yerun
    User
    User icon of Yerun
    spacer line

Do they also by expensive cosmetics instead of jamu?

http://forum.indahnesia.com/to(...)le_mar_cosmetics.php

Ho Lee Fuk

andre
    User
    spacer line

On 12-02-2007 09:09 heliumhead wrote:

They only want more and more, not only in Indonesia but all over the world.

The way the filthy rich are showing off here is beyond all decency, and I dont agree with you, this is not every where. And I still dont understand the why....

I'm not sure, but maybe it has something to do with the way the rich become rich. I agree with Sidia that there is a difference between "old" and "new" rich.

A majority of the "new rich" became rich by corruption or other "white collar crimes" (even though they will call it new economics themselves). This implies a lack of sense of responsibility.

spacer line  

Don't judge us man! Not all of us rich Indonesian people are sombong.
    I come from a very wealthy family in Jakarta but I don't go wrong showing off my family's riches. What's the point? Yes I drive a nice BMW X5 and go to blowfish and hang out with all my rich Indonesian friends but not all of us have attitude.
    If you don't like the the drastic differences between rich in poor in our developing country then go back to your country and enjoy your middle class life where ever you're from. Again, please don't judge us -- just because we're rich doesn't mean we're SOMBONG man. Enjoy your stay in my lovely country!

sglange
    User
    spacer line

Andre, do take note that when a person/s becomes "rich" in Indonesia, it doesn't mean that it is due to corruption or white collar crimes but through hard work. Your point of view is not correct. When you or others talk about corruption and white collar crimes, everyone hammers Indonesia but do take a look at the situation in Latin America where the situation is much worse than Indonesia or in the countries of South East Asia. I do know this well as I used to be stationed in Latin America. Its always that Indonesia gets the blame. My advise, know the country first before coming into conclusion.

andre
    User
    spacer line

I'm not talking about ALL nouveau riche , and I am certainly not talking about hardworking people that try to get their children through university and who have just bought a new Kijang on credit. I'm not even talking about the police officer with a basic salary lower then the minimum wage.

I'm talking about the civil servants and the religious officials that take advantage of their position and about the salespeople and purchasers that put discounts into their own pocket. That's not hard work, that's theft.

In your perception Indonesia isn't as corrupt as latin america and many SE asian countries. Maybe you've got a good middlemen arranging you visa, or maybe you haven't had to deal with more complicated bureaucratic processes (ever started a PMA?, ever had legalise birth certificates?). Let me give you some facts about corruption in Indonesia.

Indonesia ranks 130 (out of 163) in the corruption perceptions index by transparency international.

The only SE Asian counties worse then Indonesia are: Cambodia (151) and Myanmar (160), other countries are doing a lot better: Philippines (121), Vietnam and Laos (111) and Thailand (63). The least corrupt country in SE Asia is Singapore (5).

The same goes for latin America, some countries are doing worse then Indonesia (Ecuador, Venezuela (138)) But there are more countries doing better then Indonesia (e.g. Nicaragua, Paraguay (111), Bolivia (105) and el Salvador (57)).

In 2006 50% of the Indonesians assessed the government's fight agians corruption as ineffective. 9% of the Indonesians claimed the government actually encouraged corruption. This is no wonder, because 18% of the Indonesians has had to pay some form of bribery in 2006 (the highest percentage in SE Asia; average is about 8% of the population).

This research is based on local surveys, and thus based on the perception of average Indonesians. So, I stand by my hypothesis that people that have become rich through corruption, lack the sense of responsibility to handle their wealth.

Jesses
    User
    User icon of Jesses
    spacer line

Apparently, many people here seem to think that the Indonesian nouveau riche are generally indifferent to the misery of lower class people. As New York Man classifies himself as an Indonesian nouveau riche, I would like to ask him to disprove this assumption more elaborately. Not to your defence, New York Man , but to our comprehension of this issue.

So, if you're still around, New York Man ... Emoticon: Smile

spacer line  

This topic is very interesting. The different between "the rich" in Indo and those developed countries (i.e Western Europe and US etc) is lied on philanthropy and charity attitude
    Since I live in US so I will compare the rich in US and Indo.
    (Please don't put Paris Hilton on this discussion Emoticon: Smile )

If the parents at early on taught their children that charity is very important; when the children grown up and financially successful; they will "without thingking twice"involve in philanthtropic and charity activities.

We all know about Bill Gates and Warren Buffets. To be fair just look at other riches here.
    The Kraft Family ,the owner of "The New England Patriot (an American football club) and New England Revolutions (a soccer club) asked to all the player to be involved in any charity they like. It is a part of their contract.
    For Kraft Family it is very important to give back to the community.

Aha.....this is the key words" lacking of give back to the community attitude" in my opinion make the riches in Indo look arrogant and spoilded brats. This is explained why to be a philantrophist is just a waste of time for them and prefer just driving around with their shiny BM'er.

I am not against rich people all of that but if your are rich and able to help other by using your wealth and fame why not use them up.

Cheers and have a nice summer every body
    maple-leafs

spacer line  

Hello all,

Yeah i definately share the same opinion. 95% of the so called rich people in here gets a part of their brain erased where they forget what poverty is, or that it is their country. Maybe those people should live in a kampung with no normal toilet seat and the luxories of their big homes. They make me puke as well, they are very SOMBONG(arrogant) as well

They should help their own people, when the flood was in Jakarta this year, i saw THOSe people laughing at the poor instead of helping them.

Very selfish indeed

heliumhead
    User
    spacer line

I do agree certainly with the last two opinions, within the rich there is no moral in this country. And the question is how to get rich in Indonesia, the answer is not by being honest. This is all STOLEN or CORRUPTED money, stolen from those people who need it most. How proud can you be of a country where little children are roaming the streets at night and beg for money . Are things improving I don't think so, the rich are making sure they are getting richer and also make sure that the poor have no access to good education, in other words have no future other than angkot or taxi driver with their Mickey Mouse degrees from some university their parents worked very hard to pay for. I know expats whose title is foreign aid worker and as such are making 5/6000 U$ dollar per month, but don't have any influence in how the foreign aid is used. All they do is sit there for one or two years, write their monthly reports and get their contract extended after two years. Where all the foreign aid is going everybody knows and nobody is doing anything about it. This is all tax payers money from abroad!! The only decent people in this country are the people living in the kampung who will share everything they have with you. Meanwhile people all around the world are surprised Muslim extremism is on the rise.

hanzahar
    User
    spacer line

there's no point being rich this way in my opinion...

takda makna punyer...

Yerun
    User
    User icon of Yerun
    spacer line

But what is rich? Is rich to have more money than the poor, or to have a life like in those 'sinetron' in Indonesia? Or maybe to have the money like Bill Gates or Oprah Winfrey?

Ho Lee Fuk

Veer01
    User
    User icon of Veer01
    spacer line

It's the same everywhere.Here in Holland you see a bigger gap between rich and poor too,people living on the financial edge and others living of wealthy.Let's wait and see what's left after the financial shit the world is in right now. Emoticon: Cooool

louen
    User
    spacer line

I think the majority of rich people have the same attitude no matter which country they live in. If they're rich good luck to them but at the same time they don't have to flaunt their wealth.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
    If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

83,549,598 topic views - 239,826 posts - 13,723 topics - 32,199 members - last post @ 15-07-2020 21:38 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2020
    Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

136,223,492 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com