indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Ashli
User
spacer line

Recently there was a huh hoo in Indonesia and the neighbouring Asian countries ( Singapore and Malaysia) regarding the 2nd marriage of a well known Muslim Indonesian preacher. What do you think of polygamy? Is it still relevant in the present era? Many will argue that it is relevant because women are more than men? Though in reality its more of a myth than reality. Cause what age group of women are we refering?. Women tends to live longer than men hence they will always be more than men. So the fact remains that women who are of eligible marriage age (between age 16 to 55) in surveys carried out in many countries are more or less equivalent with men!

Two prisoners look out from a cell window. One saw mud the other saw stars

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

Because I don't know much about this topic, I only want to give my opinion about having the 2nd marriage.

First of all, in many countries (including Indonesia) it's considered normal to mary first before you get the package we westerners mostly get in a much earlier stadium. Having a household together and sex for example. So marriage does have a different meaning over there, compared to us.

In spite of that, I think monogamy is a myth. Isn't it against human nature, to have only one partner in life? Even in civilisations, muslims for instance, it's proven that monogamy does not work in many cases. Not only due to the fact that men's (and I suppose women too) are naturally programmed to have more than 1 sexpartner in a life, but people mostly tend to change. And if your husband or wife chooses directions in life you cannot follow, you should have the freedom to end it. And choose another one.

So to answer your first question; yes, I think polygamy is good.

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Well polygamy is okay if women are also allowed to be polygamous. Than it is fair. You're right about the fact that it is against human nature (but don't talk about the hypocritic religious reasons behind accepting polygamy or being against it).

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

Of course, women should be allowed too!

It's just from my own experiences that women are more confortable with monogamy than we men are. Something inside us tells us to go out and multiply. Women are often more set towards the whole family thing.

hobo1
User
spacer line

In reality polygamy is a very deep part of the Islamic religious tradition in Indonesia. For non-Muslims to argue the issue is really sticking your nose into somebody else's business. It would be equal to asking the question "Is marriage still relevant?" Their can be no right or wrong answer, only the statement that this is part of a religious tradition in Indonesia and exists.

Who knows maybe we should all be like monkeys and mate with every partner that is willing to cooperate.

Hideaway Bungalow in Kuta Lombok - check my homepage

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

76,159,881 topic views - 234,316 posts - 13,692 topics - 25,213 members - last post @ 19-10-2019 08:24 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

124,610,762 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com