indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Ashli
User
spacer line

I think the best way is to know someone before you go to any remote area (especially in the developing countries). Sorry to say corruption is rampant in many parts of these countries. Not only one could lose money or belongings but also could cause danger to one's life. Its a risk not worth taking.

Two prisoners look out from a cell window. One saw mud the other saw stars

sebastian
User
spacer line

The problem with that is most of the time if you dont go to these remote places you dont get the contacts to know the people in the first place.

For me there's too many amazing places uspoilt by tourism to check out not to go and 99% of the people are the best people you will ever met.

andre
User
spacer line

Emoticon: Yes! I agree 100% with you Sebastian, as you said earlier you will be treated as family or even better by most people in villages. Even on Java the difference between "city people" and "village people" is big.

As fotgraaf said: probably the official you ran into were not native and may have gotten use to corruption in the city they were stationed before...

fred uk
User
spacer line

All us foreigner have some problems of this nature. I've been quite lucky so far in that the "admin fees" have always been small and I'm on good terms with the local police. The odd paket of ciggies never hurts to keep things smooth.
My problem is visa fees that are a little silly but I have no idea how to by pass the local officer and do it. I know a couple of people that have tried and got nowhere fast.
One was deported. Any suggestions on getting a long term social visa are welcome.

Vinie
User
User icon of Vinie
spacer line

I got stopped by the police when i drove to Tulamben, he followed me with his bike. And had to drive back to the commesariat.

I had to pay a fine.....he said.
But i took all of my money out of my wallet (except for some coins) and put it under the carpet of the car while i had to drive to the commesariat.

I said i could not pay and he got angry, i threw my wallet in front of his nose and said that it was not a lie. He said how do you pay for things than?! I said with Visa. Than he said i would have to go to denpassar etc.....

But at the end he was fedup and send me away Emoticon: Smile
And he he's colleges were laughin because he didn't get any money out of me, they were friendly with me.

I had an int. driver license, paspoort, etc....just no cash money

Albert
User
User icon of Albert
spacer line

I wonder where are Merapi and Elsbeth now with their comment?

Or this poor guy is just stupid, he was wrong and the law and police in this country always do the best for everybody.

So where are you two?

Wil je ook meester van je eigen leven zijn? http://www.goudenera.nl

oyibo
User icon of oyibo
spacer line

Aha Vinie brief on the violation you made?
Let me guess, not wearing seatbelt?

Prejudice Albert. 2 cases, one forgetting to ask where Vinie made a mistake.
Two , asking Elsbeth and Merapi for input in this topic to comment Emoticon: Smile

It's only kinky the first time.

Albert
User
User icon of Albert
spacer line

On 10-05-2008 14:41 oyibo wrote:
Aha Vinie brief on the violation you made?
Let me guess, not wearing seatbelt?

Prejudice Albert. 2 cases, one forgetting to ask where Vinie made a mistake.
Two , asking Elsbeth and Merapi for input in this topic to comment Emoticon: Smile

Three;
Where is your so very good advice? The guy who knows everything and knows how to avoid every problem. Did I miss it, or you only blame on him.

This guy is a tipical example what we are talking about.
This guy does not know much about Indonesia, nice country problems solved cheap. Just give the guy some sigarets and finished.

Now he met the wrong guy and he needs to pay more.
You can read all kinds of excuses from the police to nail him. And you still blame on him, no the police try to be nice to him.

Because this country is the on and only paradise on Earth and nothing may be wrong in this paradise. therefore they try to find every little mistake. Can you imagine that he might influence other people in this country to think bad or even to do bad things.
Incredible, those police guy(s) are real hero's of this paradise.

Upss am I now banned for two days offending the moderator?
Emoticon: Laugh out loud

Albert
User
User icon of Albert
spacer line

On 19-12-2006 05:43 sebastian wrote:

SO WHAT DO I DO?

Now my problem is we want to return to the area we made some great friends but I will have to report to the police station with my passport number as we stay in a small nearby villlage and if i dont they realy could do something.

you do not need to do it, let your wife or her father do it. Stay away from that police office. there is no law that says you must register yourself. My wife always did it for me. But do not let your wife alone do it.

If they ask where you are? At home sick from the long flight can't come.

Goodluck in the future.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 10-05-2008 15:30 Albert wrote:

you do not need to do it, let your wife or her father do it. Stay away from that police office. there is no law that says you must register yourself. My wife always did it for me. But do not let your wife alone do it.

If they ask where you are? At home sick from the long flight cant come.

Goodluck in the future.

Juknis Kapolri No. Pol : JUKNIS/12/III/1995 tentang Penyelenggara Ketentuan
Wajib Lapor Kepada Polri Bagi Orang Asing TinggalTerbatas dan Orang Asing
Tinggal Tetap.

Persayratan yang harus dilengkapi :

1. Foto copy Kartu Ijin Tinggal Tetatp (Kitap).

2. Foto copy buku mutasi dan pendaftaran orang asing.

3. Foto copy KTP dan KK.

4. Foto copy akte kelahiran.

5. SKLD lama.

6. Pas foto ukuran 4 X 6 sebanyak 7 lembar.

7. Pas foto ukuran 2 X 3 sebanyak 2 lembar.

8. Mengisi daftar pertanyaan.

9. Sidik jari.

Prosedur Pengurusannya sebagai berikut :

1. Pemohon datang sendiri ke kantor polisi.

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

Vinie
User
User icon of Vinie
spacer line

First of all i want to say that i always have an international drivers licens when i'm on vacation. Some local balinees people told me a lot of ozzy's drive around without and get caught by the police.
So when he ask my license he was suprised that it was 'ok'.

The reason of the arrest was :
I was overtaking an old dirty truck who could barely drive uphill and lost a lot of black smoke. He said it was forbidden to overtake there!
Anyhow i know police in indonesia is poor....but they do not have to act as 'gestapo' officers!
I said if a tourist make a mistake in my country the police give them a warning first.
He's answer was, you are here not in your country.
I answered it's allready bad enough that because of the bombs tourists are staying away, so youre atitude as police towards tourists who are still willing to come has certainly no positif influence. Than i ask for his name because i wanted to go to a 'Police Complaint Commissioner' . Than after long arguing and shouting he let me go. So i got NO fine and did NOT pay him 1 rp!
In one month time i had to show 3 times my driverslicense en id, which is no problem for me as long as they act normal.

I also wanted to tell this, in the hotel there were girls working for free because they were apprentices in the hotel(reception).
And she had to pay a fine because she did not wear her helmet, so it's not only the tourists.

oyibo
User icon of oyibo
spacer line

Well, you've got the experience and managed the police officer.
Most likely people are stopped by police because a traffic violation was commited. Not wearing seatbelts, speeding, the most common things.

Driving a car with blinded glasses makes a lot of difference. If one rents a car look if you can get one where it's very hard to see the passenger. On a bike ofcourse it's more obvious. If you drive with the flow no police officer will stop you. It's all about oppertunity, even for them. Just don't be in a position you give them a reason. I know even in Holland police follows cars with German license plates because they tend to exceed 120 Km/h and they are easy pray.
Same thing. Over the years I've been fined twice, one time not wearing a seatbelt and not wearing a helmet. I have a good laugh. As far as I'm concerned they can write the ticket. Which they are not very funned of. It's common to smooth things. Far from correct but I'm not the one changing the system. It's easy to complaint about the people and the system. A lot of nasty things happen and even a display of that on the forum where someone is in jail hopefully soon to be released. But that's Indonesia. If one doesn't like it don't complaint but find your luck in another country. After all is it really that bad here.? I for one don't think so.

It's only kinky the first time.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 10-05-2008 22:19 Vinie wrote:

Some local balinees people told me a lot of ozzys drive around without and get caught by the police.
So when he ask my license he was suprised that it was ok.

Almost everyone knew it , there are a lot of orang turis esp. the bule' s doing the samet hing.

Thats why the " poor man" (corrupt off.) was surprissed that you have the right papers.

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

spacer line  

I drive in jakarta, 3,5 years even without a drivers license for some time, I got caught by police quiet often, Payment: rp50.000 for not showing drivers license, rp50.000 for the thing I "maybe" did wrong. (sometimes they make something up) and it takes more time to discuss about it then just to give them some money so thats what I do.
In Jakarta there is one exception: Don't drive in the 3 in 1 zone wthout 3 people in the car, they will catch you almost for sure and you can not bribe the police, they will take your STNK and you have to officially pay the bill. takes lots of time so not nice.

Greetz

Vinie
User
User icon of Vinie
spacer line

But i can understand the situation of the police and other people...........

The problem is not the police but the governement/politics......
Bali should be a rich iland and the local people could have a good life....but politicians and radicalls etc.....are ruining the life of the locals.

In south america it's the same, there i went with my bike to a shopping mall and put it on the parkinglot of the mall. The 'securety' said to me i had to pay something otherways it could get stolen!!!!!!!! by himself i thought Emoticon: Yes! so i fully agreed with him and said i would defentely pay him when i came back after my shopping.
The bike was still there, but the securety was gone Emoticon: Confused

spacer line  

On 12-05-2008 21:34 Vinie wrote:
But i can understand the situation of the police and other people...........

The problem is not the police but the governement/politics......
Bali should be a rich iland and the local people could have a good life....but politicians and radicalls etc.....are ruining the life of the locals.

Its true, actually corruption is a little like a tax system, the money will get around and mostly get back into the economy, only not in the right places.

It also has some benefits for the poor tho, for example for CD and DVD's, if there was no corruption it would be impossible for them to buy them.
because of corruption they are very cheap.

Greetz

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

77,000,674 topic views - 234,994 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,725 members - last post @ 18-11-2019 04:56 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,822,640 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com