indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

pPamela
User
spacer line

In September 2006 I visited a very special place called Tangkahan in Northern Sumatra. See below a cut and paste from Thorn Tree with the information I just posted today.

Pamela.

mikaya
Posted: 23 Oct 2006
3:49pm
visiting the jungle in Sumatra

I just wanted to let everyone know that the best place to really experience Sumatran jungle is Tangkahan, which is in Gunung Leuser, north of Medan. You can get there on a motorbike from Bukit Lawang or on a bus (four hour trip) from Medan. There are two great places to stay in Tangkahan: one is a resort run by an Englishwoman called Jane and her Indonesian husband. I stayed there for a week, it was great, incredible views of all kinds of wildlife, amazing walks, right by the river (stunning butterflies), gorgeous monkeys, elephants, and all that at a reasonable price with very good food.

Don't miss it if you are visiting Sumatra. It's much more of the real thing than Bukit Lawang.

-------------------------
Mikaya Heart

ceritacerita
6:02pm

Hi Mikaya!
Tangkahan via motorbike from Bukit Lawang? Which way did you go? Via Maureke (spelling?). How was the road - I imagine quite a bumpy journey? I agree that Tangkahan is an amazing place. Very beautiful and natural. It's just a shame it's been hard very hard to access. I hope the road has improved.
Cheers,
CC

kclaus
6:16pm

Hi Mikaya,
I'm thinking of visiting Sumatra in December/January. Can you give some suggestions of other places to go to fill a 2 week trip?

cheers,
Kevin

pPamela
Posted: 07 Dec 2006
11:51am

Hi Mikaya,

Wow, someone else who has just recenty been to Tangkahan.
I, too, engaged an ojek to take me from Bukit Lawang to Tangkahan for 5 days in late September.
Arranged it all through Kevin at Nora's Homestay in Gotong Royong not far from Bukit Lawang.
The trip cost 100,000 one way and was over a very bumpy road, poster#1 not sure of the name of which way I went.
But for me the bumpy road trip just added to the adventure of getting to Tangkahan.
On my return I came back with another great motor bike person Darwis from Tangkahan.
By the way left my big backpack at Nora's homestay ( something she does for travellers) and only took a small day pack with enough clothes for 5 days.

I stayed at Jungle Lodge with Sylvia a German woman and her Indonesian husband Alex Sitepu who used to be a guide at Bukit Lawang and their delightful 14 month old daughter Elena.
Checked out Bamboo River, but was not keen on the rooms there- wanted a more natural experience which I found at Jungle Lodge. Plus Jungle Lodge's position so close to the hot springs/ river for an evening mandi was perfect for me.

I too, checked out the elephants- one can do a special 3 day course and learn everything about them, all the commands etc.
I spent an hour on the back of the one of the elephants while he ate and learnt a couple of the commands so he would take bananas from me. Also scrubbed him in the river. 3 hr Jungle treks on the back of elephants are available also for about 160,000 rupiah.

I stayed in the very first dwelling built on the property- a small bedroom/mandi 20 ' above the river bank- 50,000/night- what a paradise. Thomas leaf monkeys would go crash through the Jungle every afternoon at about 5 pm- what a sight- mothers and babies moving at lightening speed- very difficult to photograph.

I did some river trekking with Sylvia to some of her favourite spots where I also swam, spent many times laying in the hot springs just across from their place, was massaged by small waterfalls and went tubing down the big river with my guide Darwin and two of his friends. Such fantastic memories.
A few of the guides in Bukit Lawang are trying to get together a tour or two to Tangkahan, namely Romi and also Uddin.
Will hunt through my notes when I get back to Oz ( fly 7.12) and put up the links to one of the new websites, being created for Romi.

Sylvia and Alex have the best located restaurant one could imagine looking up the river- very special..
This is where I had my breakfast every morning for 5 days- thought I was in heaven.
View from Restaurant - www.junglelodge.net/overview.html
Sylvia and Alex also have a small website still in process.
www.junglelodge.net

Pamela.

jokebro
User
spacer line

hey Pamela, last nov. we did the jungletrack for two days with Thomas a guide from Bukit Lawang. We couln't cross the river where we should spent the night nearby a waterfall. The water was to high, so the other guids they brought it all on their swimmingbands, what seems to be in the morning also was our raft!!
Had much fun

giacitto
User
spacer line

see more info on Tangkahan in this website http://www.gajahsumatra.org/tangkahan/.
From your and other posts looks very attractive. I will plan a new tour of the Gunung Leuser next year!
giacitto

pPamela
User
spacer line

Giacitto, Thanks for the website- have posted on Thorn Tree. Pamela

pPamela
User
spacer line

Above I mentioned about some of the guides in Bukit Lawang organising treks to Tangkahan & Bukit Lawang from Medan i.e 3 Day Tour.
From what I understand the website still under construction will be www.expeditionjungle.com
Email address is infoRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.expeditionjungle.com for more information.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
Here are about 80 photos I took whilst I was stayed in Tangkahan in late Sept 2006 for 5 days.
travel.webshots.com/album/558220008eKUdnh
Pamela

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

Nice pictures. Worth while opening them from Indonesian slow internet as well. Emoticon: Yes!

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
This website www.expeditionjungle.com/ I mentioned 12 months ago is finally up and running.
I have added it to the 'See My Website' thread.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
For another trip report to Tangkahan, please go to the Orangutan in south Ketembe post and read Nic66's comments on her recent trip to Tangkahan.
Pamela.

bartere
User
spacer line

In September last year my partner and I travelled to Sumatra and on Pamela's suggestion went to Tangkahan.... Its an absolute paradise! We asked our guides in Bukit Lawang (Erwin and Rozi) to take us by moterbike to Tankahan for 2 days. I wish we could have stayed forever. The trip there was alittle bumpy but as far as I was concerned it was all part of the fun and I loved waving to the locals in each small village we passed.

When we arrived we checked into the Jungle Inn and met the lovely owners and Alex and Sylvia. We went on an elephant trek in the afternoon and washed the elephants afterwards- which they loved. That night, I tried the Jungle Inn's famous banana tree currey which was delicious and went to bed.

In the morning I awoke to monkeys screeching and swinging in the trees outside and we made our way to the Inn restureant for breakfast. Sylvia offered to take us for a swim/trek through the river up to an amazing waterfall. It was so much fun and so beautiful.

I can't emphasize enough how much we enjoyed our trip to Sumatra as a whole but Tangkahan specifically. It really is a treasure that has to be seen to be believed.
e

spacer line  

On 27-02-2008 08:29 bartere wrote:

I cant emphasize enough how much we enjoyed our trip to Sumatra as a whole but Tangkahan specifically. It really is a treasure that has to be seen to be believed.
e

Hi,

yes I like Sumatra as well. (a big island) I know South Sumatra.
And just found a link about the Maninjau region. Emoticon: Wink

http://www.maninjau.nl/index.php?page=1&lang=

see you.
Inez

Emoticon: Wink

pPamela
User
spacer line

Bartere,
Just recently spent 3 wonderful days from April 27th staying at Jungle Lodge
with Sylvia and Alex and the beautiful Miss Elena.
Still the same magical place, did some river trekking with Sylvia again and went a little bit further this time.
Then spent the rest of the days hanging around, laying in the hot springs and checking out the water fall for a shoulder massage.
Tried the Banana Tree Curry and loved it as well.
Sadly Sylvia, Alex and Elena will be heading back to Germany on July 20th because her long maternity leave has come to an end.
They are certainly not looking forward to it but that is life.
Pamela.

DHooijmans
User
spacer line

Hi Pamela,

I am planning to bring a visit to Tangkahan on June 28th and I want to stay in the Jungle Lodge.. Is that still possible ??
I want to go there straid from Medan, but I am not sure if that is the right decision after all?
On July 2nd I have to go back to Medan..

I was wondering if you could give me some tips how I could spend my time the best?

Thanks!!
Danielle

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Danielle,
If you visit from early on 28th June arriving about 2pm and leave early morning 8.30am on 2nd you will be there for just over 3 days and my last trip was 3 days and it was enough to enjoy the area. I would never suggest any less than 3 days.
You can contact Sylvia and Alex on this number +6281376334787
Send them a text message, indicate which country you live in and Alex will most likely call you back.
It is a good idea to let them know you are coming so they can make arrangements to meet you on the other side of the river.

I have been helping some travellers who will be picked up at the airport by a driver/car for the 4hr trip to Tangkahan on Sunday.
Much more comfortable than a bus and cuts about an hour off the time-but depends on your budget.
Fuel prices go up again on Sunday so I am not sure of the prices now. You will need to ask Alex.

Ask Sylvia about the river trekking- she will take you up the river to all her favourite places including the butterfly beach.
During this trek you get to swim, walk on land and in the water and also walk around rocks in the water to get to magic places.
It is such an adventure and I have done it both times and this time we went even further.
Don't have photos because it is Sylvia's special places and also not possible to really swim with the camera.
Also spend time lying in the hot springs just across from Jungle Lodge and also Sylvia will take around to the small waterfall where you can have a shoulder massage, once you have climbed up and under the waterfall- quite easy to do. I did it by myself this time.
You can also do a one hour jungle trek on the back of an elephant.

Take a walk down past Bamboo River and onto Mega Inn. Go and have a chat to Mega is a friend of mine and his lovely wife Inur.
Mega has built about 6 bungalows quite near the river where one gets the ferry across.

Danielle, if you email me I will send you an attachment I have scanned from the April Garuda Magazine.
They did an interesting article on Tangkahan and as I flew Garuda from Sydney to Jakarta in April I kept the article.
Pamela.

giacitto
User
spacer line

Hi Pamela,
may I have copy of that April Garuda Magazine page on Tangkahan ?
Could be nice to have more updated info on this place. I am planning to go in October 08.
Thanks

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
Sorry for getting back to this post. I was lucky enough to find the link after much searching on the interrnet.
Here is the link to the magazine article on Tangkahangarudamagazine.com/features.php?id=51
Pamela

Tessi
User
spacer line

Is there any possibility to go from Bukit Lawang to Tangkahan by car? Or ist the road too bad?

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Tessi,
Yes, but not a car more like a jeep. However, you will be thrown around a lot, something I did not experience on the back of the bike.
Here is a link to a blog about travel from BL to Tangkahan by jeep ( even has photo of jeep www.travelblog.org/Asia/Indone(...)ang/blog-285945.html
The writer complains about the price, but 400,000 each way for the jeep trip is not unreasonable when the motor bike trip is 150,000 each way.
That guy was a bit naughty telling him the price was a return trip.
When there are difficulties in communication re money I always write down the prices so all parties understand the price.

If you choose to stay at Jungle Lodge please contact Bob- no. quoted above and let him know you are coming. Alex and Sylvia have gone back to Germany and Alex's brother Bob is running the place for them.
Or if you choose to stay at Mega Inn ( lovely new place) you can contact Mega on +6281370211009
You need to let them know so they can make sure they are there to meet you when you arrive at the ferry.

What you can do is leave the majority of your gear in Medan at one of the guest houses- best one for looking after your gear is Ronna's ( originally the old Spoutnik).
Ronna's is very very basic but for 20-25,000 rupiah what more can one expect. Place is friendly and the food is excellent (April 2008).
Address is Jalan Tengah No. 33.
get the jeep across to Tangkahan one way and leave Tangkahan by bus to Medan.
Not many buses from Tangkahan to Medan but you can do a motor bike trip of 20 minutes along a much better road than the other one to Simpang Robert and from there get a bus to Medan.
Trip about 4-5 hrs.
Pamela

kongkong
User
spacer line

hi all,
could you all kindly help since i am going to tangkahan this weekend but kinda no clue for the cost incurred there.
what i need to know is:
-how much for the stay place per night and for how many person?
-i heard that there are rangers that will help us during this tour, how much it costs us per day?
-how much it will costs for meal for a person per day?
-and is there any cost that will incurred there like retribution, etc?
kindly help Emoticon: Cry Emoticon: Cry Emoticon: Cry

kongkong~~~

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
I just found this video of Tangkahan on You Tube tonight. It was only released yesterday.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMyaW0X1FFo
The views of the blue sky and jungle are just so 'how it really is' there. It brought tears to my eyes and I just wish I was back there right now.
If you get the chance go and visit Tangkahan- it is truly an amazing experience.
Pamela. Homesick for beautiful Tangkahan.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

49,995,258 topic views - 222,235 posts - 13,491 topics - 16,270 members - last post @ 24-09-2017 15:23 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

90,103,308 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com