indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

As I am not a technician, I generally follow the orders from my Honda service center. I don't use others for maintaining my motorbike as I just want to have the best service and spare parts for my motorbike, a Honda Supra Fit (November 2004).

When buying the motorbike, you will get a number of free services every few thousand kilometers or months. I have used them all right now (more than that already, almost 26.000 km on the counter) and I was wondering what people do then.

I was recommended to change oil every 2.000 kilometers. I have done this a few times now, as well as a regular (every six months is my plan) checkup outside the checkups if something is not good anymore (not enough profile on the tires, brake that is not reacting well enough and so on)

Up to now I have had two extra services; one for changing a back tire with almost no profile left (I changed that a month ago in anticipation of the wet season, but that hasn't arrived yet) and one for changing the brake disk as is was already overdue for changing (about 20.000 km's is adviced here). I also felt that braking was harder, so I prefer changing it right away.

Does anyone want to share their experiences and/or tips with me?

Malam
User
User icon of Malam
spacer line

One advise Yerun,
Buy expencive motoroil from a good quality, stay there beware that you can see that they open the tin en put it in the bike, so you are sure that they use what you are pay fore.
For sure your bike live longer without damage and changing oil after 3000 km is no problem.

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

Thanks for the advice. I always renew the oil at the official Honda service station, so I assume they use the right one. It comes straight out of the box. Maybe I should check the brand, so I can look for more information on that the next time. I will have my oil changed somewhere next month, so I will have a look then.

Robert70
User
spacer line

Hi Yerun,

I worked for years for the automotive industry. We had many bengkels in Holland. The most inportant things for the motor are oil and water. Well I advice you to check the levels maybe every week, and not only see the countermeter. Please do, because a motor without oil, it is gona cost you a fortune. Your bike has no water I think, so that will not be a problem. For the rest you can also feel things. Maybe the bike has not that much traction, or his sound is not like it used to be. These are signals thatmaybe something small must be done.
But once again, oil and water, first priorities. No mather if you use bad oil, but then use a short interval, maybe 1500 km. Use also the same oil to refill. So use synthetic if this is already in your bike, or use half synthetic if this is in your bike.
So use eyes and ears, and let the bike ride gently.
A lott off fun with your bike

Di Roberto Emoticon: Party!

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

Hello Robert70,

Thanks for your advice to check the oil level myself. That is probably a good one. Of course there are indicators, but I have heard stories about a broken fuel indicator at a BMW X3, they got stranded on the highway between Eindhoven and Tilburg.. Emoticon: Laugh out loud

I'm indeed always aware of strange sounds, that's one of the things I can check myself as someone without any knowlegde of this kind of technique Emoticon: Wink

There is no water in my bike, only when I wash it Emoticon: Wink

Indie
User
spacer line

Hello Yerun
I've been riding motorcycles in Indonesia for over 5 years with a couple of friends who know a bit about bikes and the main thing we all agree on is that most Indonesian Mechanics tend to open up the carb and take it apart every chance they get (they say it's to clean it). This is something none of us has ever seen in either of our respective countries (England, Canada, Wales). In fact, they don't seem to realise that the factory setting for the fuel/air mixture is very sensitive and that to mess around with it without knowing what you're doing is likely to make it worse than it was. One piece of advice: Don't let anyone take your carb apart, no matter what they say.

balibreeze
User
User icon of balibreeze
spacer line

Talking about good oil try minyak tawon and your bike will run as new

sing ken ken bli....

fred uk
User
spacer line

The answer to this is the same as anywhere else in the world.
Let the Honda service agent do it while you have to then do it yourself.
I've just picked up a Honda Tiger (Very nice) and it's off to the Honda agents every time for the moment.
After the warranty ends learn to do it for yourself. It's easy once you have been shown how. Years ago in England a mate helped me out with my first bike. I didn't spend money on the service but picked up the tools as I needed them and soon had a full set and the ability to sort most bike problems out.
It's also more fun to get mucky.

havana45
User
spacer line

Yerun,do'nt forget to check on your chain and drivewheel.The teeth of the drivewheel will ware quicker than the back wheel.Normally you have to change the chain after 25000 or 30000km depends on the conditions of the roads.Dusty roads make your chain ware quick.Have a lot of fun.

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

They do indeed wear much quicker, but they are still fine. I have almost 31.000 on the counter now so it should be about time to change it. At least if I am planning a long trip, it will have to be changed just to be safe.

havana45
User
spacer line

Hi Yerun,you can try Slick 50 in your motor oil.This product puts a teflon coating on all the parts in your engine,so less friction and saves petrol.Even without oil at all you can drive as far as 30km without burning your engine.When you change oil,change your filter as well.Put in slick 50(for your bike that will be ca 500cc) and fillup with the oil you usually use.Make a ca 50km trip and make sure that your engine reaches working temp.Thats all,Slick 50 treatment should be repeated every 80.000km.Good luck.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

77,066,962 topic views - 235,022 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,774 members - last post @ 19-11-2019 15:47 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,882,009 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com