indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jawa / Java > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

Hello!

Apa kabar?

My girlfriend (Bandungnese) and I are living in the Netherlands. Right now we are thinking about moving to Bandung. But first, we want to finish our studies. She's a Bandungnese girl, so she will know here way around. I'm not, and bahasa indonesia isn't my mother language either Emoticon: Wink !

So are there possibilities for me finding a descent job over there, that will make it financially possible to travel back the the Netherlands once in a while? I hope to have received my Dutch bachelor status, after I finished my studies and I heard that this will increase my options.

Anyone familiar with this and willing to give me some tips?

Terima kasih,

Stef.

mashil
User
User icon of mashil
spacer line

To get a job might be possible, it depends on what your skills are, and its easier to find a job with a master instead of a bachelor degree, but I guess you can't wait to move to Bandung.

So what do you study? Many people tried to do the same, but its difficult, the people on this forum who work and live in Indonesia can possible give u info about that.
But, first, do you like to live there? Have you tried it already for a while? Not as a tourist but really as a member of the society? Or as a student...
Goodluck....also with learning the language, because that will be one of the first things you should do (but maybe you already do so)

- Let us live simply so that others may simply live -

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

My God/Allah/Vishnu,
You want to move to Bandung? You've ever been there? It would be the last place on earth for me to live.
I am once a month (sometimes twice) in Bandung for my job. But sorry, for me it is the most dirtiest town in the country (or is still Surabaya number 1?). In a few years this town is completely degraded from a pleasant town into one of the most unpleasant cities in the country. Poverty is growing because of the closure of a lot of factories overthere and the result is on the streets: full of beggars, hustlers, thieves, dirt, garbage and a frustrated young generation without any future that makes them unpleasant as company.
I think you have to think twice before moving to Bandung; there are many much more pleasant cities in the country then this deteriorated, ramshackle town.

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll get my master degree then, if that'll give me more chances. But that will take at least three years from now Emoticon: Laugh out loud .

I was in Bandung last month. I've been staying a weeks living at the family of my girlfriend, and they live in the poor neighbourhood of Bojong Mekar near Teman Makam Pahlawan. And yeah; I have seen the beggars, hustlers and the frustrated young generation. Especially the last thing I've seen before our own doorstep every night. The city is poor and dirty at some places...I have seen that.

Bandung, being a huge city, is IMO relatively safer and cosier than dutch cities. I've never seen such polite people in my life. And even when walked around the streets 2 o clock in the night, and thought I encountered bunch of criminals sitting on the streets (looking bad wearing leather jackets and tattoo's), they just greeted me and even asked me to join them.

The overall atmosphere is great, I think! There's so much to do and it is so crowded, I love it. In other places in Indonesia everyone was watching me when I came by, in order to ask me questions or trying to sell me stuff. In Bandung people just don't seem to give a sh*t no matter if you're white, black or yellow with purple spots. That's a great thing...

Furthermore, I've seen some great places to live in Bandung: For example the suburb of Rancaekek. And Sedang Serang looked fine to me too... I don't know that makes our views so different then, Yogya-Bali, but I have been fallen in love with this city.

spacer line  

that's very nice....
You must listen to your heart.....

And the temperature in Bandung is very nice too.....

I wish you all the best...

Greetz

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Sorry, I think your not objective but prejudiced cause your girlfriend is from Bandung. If she was from Medan, probably you would have fallen in love with Medan.
Think you make a judgement mistake.
I live in Yogyakarta although my wife is not from Yogyakarta but from another part of Idnonesia, but I make my own choice, not my girlfriend. Also my ex was from another part of the country, but had no problem with staying in other places.
I love to hear your reaction after one or two years.

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 08-09-2006 08:52 dutchguy1000 wrote:
thats very nice....
You must listen to your heart.....

And the temperature in Bandung is very nice too.....

Sorry Dutchy, but the temperature is not nice at all anymore. It's just as hot as elsewhere in Indonesia with a lot of pollution. It's just a dirty overcrowded 3-world country city.
The temperature story was years ago, but that's past.

spacer line  

I just looked it up, but its 27 in Bandung and 33 in Jakarta.

Greetz

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

Thanks dutchguy!

Come on Yogya-Bali... of course it's not objective because I haven't the seen whole indonesia and my girlfriend is from Bandung. So? I met her in Holland anyway... that's where our history together is rooted. By the way, to be happy you shouldn't be too objective with your choices and just do what makes you feel good.

So maybe you're right in the end: And after one or two years, I might have enough of that city; then I will move on. But at least I will have an experience over there.

The temperature is lower in Bandung than for example Jakarta or Bali. That's because it's a mountain city.

madrotter
User
User icon of madrotter
spacer line

well i'm living in bandung since 1996, actually just outside in cihideung, parongpong and i'm still loving it, ok it's true, bandung itself is a mess, i've lived in the city for 6 years and i'm happy every day that i moved out of the city, so whatever you do, try not to live in the city itself but go for areas like dago or lembang! there are lot's of nice cafe's like the dutch bar the nordsea bar, club pesta, cloud 9 and a bunch of others, also if you like music, bandung is definitly the place to be, you can go to amazing punkconcerts where you can see girls with jilbabs (headscarfs) stagedive, there are some good coverbands (and a whole bunch of really bad ones too), wednesday nights you can go to r&b/hiphop nights in kyooki at braga or at the ambasee in jalan cihampelas, also there are regular performances, jazz, classical music, poetry and such at the french cultural centre close at the bip shoppingcentre, you can see fantastic traditional music performances at the university for classical dance and music in buah batu, also there you can see incredible theater performances by theatergroup payung hitam. you can eat in one of the most beautifull and romantic restaurants in the whole area, kampung daun (my neighbours), there are hot springs to swim in in teater or at garut both just outside bandung, specially the ones in cipanas, garut are nice, every hotel has a big 2 meter square bath and the water comes straight out of the volcano, you can eat really, really good sateh at the trainstation. you can have nice weekends at the beach at pangandaran (5 to 6 hours to get there), you can buy movies on dvd, sometimes in the same week they come out in the states voor 5000 rp (if you can handle bad copies). i could also complain about loads of stuff, but when it comes down to it, i wouldn't want to live anywhere else at this point in my life....

balibreeze
User
User icon of balibreeze
spacer line

Oh my.. I wish you all the luck in the world to live there... I went there 2 years ago and still have some friends live there.. hope you like the humidity and rainy days.. and the smell of the trash all over the roadside.. as it was a huge problem there earlier this year.. ask your girlfriend man.. the temperature also ain't the same anymore.. and I can't stand the air pollution.. due to sooo many ANGKOT ( public minibus ). Traffic jam is crazy.. and you may get use later with the thousand mosques with their speakers 5 times a day... Sholat time. But the food is great.. lots of choices and heaven of shopping for factory outlets lovers!!
Good Luck!

sing ken ken bli....

havana45
User
spacer line

Where in the world can you buy a bleujean and having es duren at the same time?Paris of java,the city is called and it still is.

mluckham
User
spacer line

If it were me, I would definitely choose Lembang - higher, cleaner, cooler, quieter, saner, and only a few minutes from the tea plantations and volcanic areas. Bet it's more expen$sive too Emoticon: So funny

madrotter
User
User icon of madrotter
spacer line

yeah i live there, parongpong, lembang and housesare actually a bit cheaper to rent than in downtown poluted bandung, though i actually bought the place that i'm living in...

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

Yeah, thanks for the reactions! I'm still dreaming about moving there. The only practical thing is finding a job. And language of course... my bahasa isn't all that Emoticon: Wink .

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

So, madrotter, where did you live in Bandung before you moved out of town?

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 09-01-2007 21:59 Nidji wrote:
The only practical thing is finding a job.

That surely is; especially in Bandung and surroundings which is hit the worst during the "krismon".
Put your dreams aside and be realistic. What kind of skills do you have? Probably somebody knows something for u.

Janfl
User
User icon of Janfl
spacer line

I have lived in Bandung for 6 months in 1998/1999, doing research for my thesis, affilliated with ITB. And I agree that Bandung has lost much of it's charme since then. The new Jalan Bypass, outlet stores on Dago, and such. The climate I find okay, especially in comparison with Jakarta. Sundanese culture can be attractive, good food, gentle people.

Working in Indonesia is not that easy. The labor market policy is protective, understandbly with the high unemployment. An employer would have to prove that your job could not be done by an Indonesia.

You will need a job to remain in the country, even married to an Indonesian. Otherwise you will get into the hassle of short term visas and flying to Singapore or KL every couple of months.
Ideally you would work for an international company and be expatriated in Bandung. Or find work through your girlfriends network, also taking care of work permit. If you consider a more academic career the opportunities might be better.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

Thanks for the replies.

One should be very realistic about these things. I agree on that.

A more acadamic career means that I have to study two more years after I finish my current one. And yes, most people say that the best thing is working as an expat over there. You will get dollar paid salary too...

Thanks for your tips, anyway!

madrotter
User
User icon of madrotter
spacer line

ehr, i've lived for about 3 years in buah batu, 2 years around sukajadi, 1 year in hegar mana, and now around 4,5 years in cihideung, parongpong which is the best place i've lived so far......

lopulim
User
spacer line

wow Nidji, you're a very fortunate one, living in Bandung is one of my wishes these coming time, it's true....where ever you go (any other country), after finishing your study, always learn the language first, that'll increase the possibilities of finding a job. Bandung has become the most attracking city of JaBar ( Jawa Barat), it's true though, in the weekends you shouldn't go out, coz the Jakartans(mostly + other visitors from other cities....including those Yogyans Emoticon: Wink coming by busses) are in town (leisure Emoticon: Yes! Emoticon: Party! ) orrrr........get yourself a motorbike and you won't lose time Emoticon: Bye bye in the trafficjams. I think you should inform at the Indonesian Embassy, perhaps they'll able to give you some names of companies who are in business in the country. Success to both of you!!! ( salammulaikum )

Laysa Lopulisa

andre
User
spacer line

www CRAP can't get this right.... Emoticon: Angry

Anyway... check www.ina.or.id. There you can get a list of dutch companies active in Id. However to be "expetriated" to a foreign country you need a proven track record. Their not going to send a fresh graduate to fullfill a key role in some foreign country. Believe me, not knowing Bahasa Indonesia is the least of you worries.

Best option: Maters degree (preferably technical or MBA) and then management trainee. In about six to seven years you'll be in Bandung.

Which by the way is quite a nice place to live. I've lived there for almost four years and it's very safe. Also the nightlife was excellent. Loads of live music, loads of nice clubs and restaurants.

lopulim
User
spacer line

absolutely, Andre's right, totally forgot about that 'ina'- address, but get yourself some attention to the language though and having some connections will also help, not much but who knows......

Laysa Lopulisa

Nidji
User
User icon of Nidji
spacer line

Thanks for the replies!

The list will come in handy, in the future.

Obtaining a master degree is very important, I understand.

I really hope that I will ever be able build a future there. Emoticon: Wink

andre
User
spacer line

On 13-01-2007 16:08 andre wrote:
...In about six to seven years youll be in Bandung...

Correction.... She'll be living in Bandung and you'll be working your ass of in Jakarta Emoticon: Smile

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

61,727,766 topic views - 228,242 posts - 13,631 topics - 19,472 members - last post @ 25-09-2018 16:52 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2018
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

105,813,754 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com