indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

djattiman
User
spacer line

Hi all !

Next month I am going to Indonesia again. This time I am looking for a buddhist place to stay for a few days. To meditate. I found a few addresses in Bogor, Batu and Jakarta. But the people do not reply my messages.
Is there anyone who can tell me from his or her own experience about such places I am looking for?

Thanks in advance !

Dave

djattiman
User
spacer line

Well, this is very disappointing : no replies on my question. Indonesia : the land of the Borobudur. Okay, only 2% is a buddhist. And most buddhist places are of the Chinese school. And I am looking for a Tibetan, theravada kind of place.
Meditation, trying to find silence of my mind on one of the most crowded islands on earth.
Sigh.......

Djattiman

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

Hi,
Please be aware that you will find almost no active buddists around the Borubudur, only salesmen and tourists.
Im aware of some temples in Bogor. Matter of fact, a friend of my has a house in Bogor which has a temple in it. But it is a Tao thing. Last September, he went to the mountains in the neighbourhood of Bogor. There are temples too which are unknown by tourists. Patience, I will ask for you.
Regards, Johan

Begin de details te vergeten

djattiman
User
spacer line

Thanks already Johan,

Patience I will have. I have never been in Bogor. Are there more active in the suuroundings of Bogor ...than in , for instance, Semarang or Malang?
I know that there is a place in/near Bogor where you can learn Vipassana meditation for 10 days. But that is too long for my stay of only 4 weeks in Indonesia.
Okay than, I wait ...

Djattiman

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

My parents live in Bogor.. never heard about Budhist Temple... Is Kelenteng in Bogor? Guess,..I am way behind with the development in Bogor....

Djatti,
Why did you pick Indonesia to meditation in Budhist Temple? Why dont you go to a place such as Thailand.?

Just wondering ...considering Indonesia is a moslem country.. not Budhist ....hehehehehe

Just in case you need help in Bogor, call my mom at (251) 334-969. She knows very well the area... you will not get lost.

Give her my name, in return She will give you a warm welcome!

Desi Clark

Effort and Courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

djattiman
User
spacer line

Desi dear !

Very very kind of you to give your Mom's phone number... Maybe I'll call her IF I arrive in Bogor.
In principle, where-ever one goes, where-ever one is, every place can be a place to meditate. Because it is a state of mind.
The purpose of going to Indonesia is NOT to meditate.. First and last of all , Indonesia is the place where I feel so very okay. I discovered the country of my parents 3 years ago. And I regretted I did not come sooner... It is the place where I wanna die. So to speak.

Thanks agian !

Djattiman

mashil
User
User icon of mashil
spacer line

Hello Djattiman,
My parents who are buddist, have been in a buddist monestry is Indonesia, I will ask some adresses for you. I know there are several buddist monestary's.
You can also email me:
hilmar.giesenRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.hva.nl

- Let us live simply so that others may simply live -

djattiman
User
spacer line

Hi Hilmar !

Thanks, I am looking forward at your addresses. Desi is right by saying that Indonesia is a muslim society. But the constitution considers Buddhism as one of the official religions. So - officially - Indonesia is a buddhist society as well. But majority rules the world ha? So much for democracy ;-) .
You gave me your email-address. I can sent to that address of course, but in this way the discussion is open for others as well.
So which ever you prefer.
Okay,
Terima kasih !

Djattiman

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

Djatti... ...

Were you born in (name of place or country)?

So your parents are Indonesian..and never told you about their homeland? ("cmon...what's goin on here...or I misunderstood you?)

I am interested in learning how did you just find out about Indonesia if your parents are Indonesian ( I am assuming)

Where do you live now and when are you going to Indonesia...(is it June?).. Are you going there for good?

Take care
Desi Clark

aliakbar
User
User icon of aliakbar
spacer line

When people meditate and if there is a natures urgent call....What happens...

Any suggestion??

www Jakarta through the Eyes of an Expat

djattiman
User
spacer line

Desi,

My parents are not Indonesian, but so called Indo-European. After the Independance-declaration they had to flee to ....the Netherlands.
I have one English and one Portugese grandfather...
We look very , nearly completely Indonesian..
And yes my parents told me about their country.
I even have still family in there. I met my aunti 3 years ago. And I still have to meet the relatives of my mothers side.
So much to find out...
Ah well, just being there...you know....it feels more natural being there....and when I am back here in the Netherlands...it feels bad... especially in these times of hatred towards non-originals...

I will be in Semaran at the end of this month....

Djattiman

djattiman
User
spacer line

Aliakbar,

Only when I meditate on the toilet, I can stay where I am...

Djattiman

aliakbar
User
User icon of aliakbar
spacer line

Meditate would sound boring isnt it in a toilet or bathroom....?

My choice would be to sing some cool songs...and practice my vocal voice....

Rgds
Aliakbar

www Jakarta through the Eyes of an Expat

mashil
User
User icon of mashil
spacer line

Singin can also be a way of meditation. If you focus on your breathe, and only pay attention to what you are doing on that moment can be called meditation, so maybe it is less boring then you thought Ali! Emoticon: Wink

- Let us live simply so that others may simply live -

diederick
User
User icon of diederick
spacer line

There are two Buddhist organisations in Indonesia which are not on speaking terms which each other.
You have the Indonesian Buddhist Organisation (Walubi). See their website www.walubi.or.id. The other one is called KASI (Organization of Buddhist Priest. See http://www.buddhistonline.com. One of the two can surely answer you if there are monasteries or other places to meditate.
Pertaining your remark on the current hatred against non-originals in the Netherlands, i think that is a bit overstated. And especially concerning indo's which are seen as the most integrated group in the Netherlands. Have you already noticed, by the way, during your visits to Indonesia how Indonesians score on the scale of xenofobia? Why did your parents, and many others, had to flee?

djattiman
User
spacer line

Diederick,
The hatred is now more manifest. What used to be political incorrect in the past , is now shouted out loud. From my own experience I found out, that some original Dutch persons feel very superior to Maroccan, Turkish, Chinese, Blacks and all those who are not Kaukasian white. Joking about usiing a machine gun when driving through the black area in Amsterdam. It's disgusting. The scale of xenofobia in Indonesia I did not notice ..yet. But yeah, I had some experience on Lombok where someone became silently hostile towards me.
But thank you for the two url's . I will go and see if there is someful information.
My parents had to flee because my father was a soldier...on the Dutch side...

Djattiman

djattiman
User
spacer line

Diederick,
unfortunately the websites are in the Indonesian language, so I cannot read them...

Djattiman

diederick
User
User icon of diederick
spacer line

That is a pity. I thaught you were able to read bahasa indonesia, considering the contents of your postings.
I try again: http://www.buddhanet.net/asia_(...)ndonesia/2abc_in.htm is in English, with a lot of links and adresses.
Don't you think that the Dutch should be given some time to cope with the - let's face it- enormous amount of "newcomers" or immigrants? For twenty years they couldn't say anything, because they were immediatly accused of racism, and now the maybe overdo it some time. It is a major problem, from whatever site you want to look at it.
To go back to Indonesia; on a party some time ago I spoke with some older Indonesians, who visit the Netherlands from time to time. I was amazed when several of them complained that the Netherlands became so "black" (sic!). Black Africans are here immediatly linked to drugbusiness, and then I will further be silent about f.i. the attitudes of Javanese against Eastern Indonesians (often denounced as "primitive" Emoticon: Wink or other prejudices internally or externally. On the forum there were already some postings from Indonesian women (or Indonesian looking-women) about their treatment in restaurants when they are with a white male person. I can understand that you have a love for your refounded homeland, but don't be too romantic. At the other hand your denouncement of the Dutch is again very very Dutch!

djattiman
User
spacer line

Diederick,

I think I said it to Desi some days ago : in Indonesia I feel/felt more natural. It is a very basic thing. I am not being too romantic about Indonesia. Especially after my experience last year with my Indonesian girlfriend. We had a serious fight about being Muslim or not. I won't go into details, but it was very revealing and very unpleasant.
Of course in every country there is discrimination, racism. And the problems with the immigrants here are very serious problems. Me, myself and I , I had ' fights' , confrontations with Moroccan youngsters, when doing social work. So I know about the fires in Dutch society.
And that the Dutch are now overdoing it some time after 20 years of being forced to be politically correct...that is no excuse. Racism can never be excused, never. Zero tolerance for both sides.

Thank you again for the new link...I know that one. I even sent emails to those addresses, but did not get any reply. And if I phone them, they don't answer.. Maybe I have to try once more.

Diederick, thanks again...I really appreciate it.

Djattiman

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

Djatti,

Keep me updated with your story..will you? I am interested..

So will you hang out with us while in Jakarta? Contact Pinta, the Coordinator.. hahahhahaa

I've never been to any Budhist Temple in Indonesia, except Borobudur.

Can we meditate together? Who else wants to join?

Desi Clark

djattiman
User
spacer line

Hi Desi,

Hanging out in Jakarta? And hwo is ' us' ? During my first stay in Jakarta I was hanging out in the Jalan Jaksa Area. Walking to the Monument of Independance and to the train station. Just like Surabaya , I wanted to leave the place asap. Do you have any suggestions for having a good time in that urban jungle?

I know a big Buddhist temple in Kuala Lumpur (not inspiring ), but it does not matter to me if it is a temple or not. I am looking for a place where there is overwhelming silence and maybe a teacher , a guide.

Meditating together can be very mutually reinforcing. But , shoot me if I am mistaking, that is not really a serious idea of you, am I right ?

It's funny, I started with a question about places for meditation. And the subject changed to racism, roots, and hanging out in Jakarta...hey who is Pinta?

Okay, bye now !!

Djattiman

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

Djatti,

To answer your stat in regards to subject changed.. we like diversity..that's all I can think of!

About Pinta... if you call her name 3 times.. she will come out from her cage..whoahahhahahhahhaa

To survive (read: have a good time) in that urban jungle...you need to ask Ali or Pinta... They own the jungle!

I have been away from Indonesia and am sure I, myself will deal with re-entry shock!

As to "us"..refers to me, myself, and my dog name Boo.. hahahha just kidding...

"us" is Ali, Pinta, and Desi...I am sure Diederick, Albert, Yerun, Martjin, Juffy, Mas Hill, and other regulars or visitors here want to join us, but they have not made up their mind yet... Emoticon: Clown We will see....

My idea about meditation together is not kidding, I have never done it... just curious if I will be able to survive or not... you never know until you try it... perhaps I should start with YOGA first..hehehehe...

How long does it take to meditate? I can't sit or stand for too long.. will that disqualify me?

Desi Clark

djattiman
User
spacer line

Desi !

Meditating can take as long as you like. Start with sitting comfortably and watch your breath. Try NOT to think. That's the most difficult part of it (for me it is). Let your thoughts drift by. Notice them, don't follow them. When you notice that's you are thinking, watch your breath. When you notice another thought, watch your breath again. Always go back to your breathing. It is very hard working. It takes discipline.
And yoga, yes that can really help. I do it on daily basis now. Even more than meditating.
But hey, this is not the right place to explain. Just try it.

A woman who owns an urban jungle, must be very very powerful. And when she lives in a cage..wow that's scary but tempting hahaha....

Ah, just 5 more days and then ....Indonesia !!!

Djattiman

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

75,329,860 topic views - 233,655 posts - 13,687 topics - 24,478 members - last post @ 20-09-2019 06:43 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

123,411,168 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com