indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

I'm just heading forward another trip to SEA - Indonesia with my wife. For any past trip we used only stand-by Lariam cure of malaria, fortunately never used. However, with Indonesia it seem a little different story.

We're planning to go to Sumatra (Toba Lake, tropical forests, etc.) and then to Lombok for surfing, with a possible extension to Flores and Komodo islands.

We'll stay there for a month, July 2006. Any advices what is the actual malaria situation in the locations mentioned above? What do you suggest to take, what anti-malaria cure? Do you think that stand-by Lariam will be enough again?

Question as taken from Thorn Tree

kiwimave
User
User icon of kiwimave
spacer line

Im not explaining the whole story again... Let them just search the Indahnesia.com forum topics for the right answers.

Gracias. Sama sama

spacer line  

Hi,
I have stayed in Lombok for the past 1,5 years close to senggigi 6 times 3 weeks and only the first time I took malaria tablets and after that no more. I am still alive and no problems whatsoever with catching malaria. Offcourse there is no guarantee, but this is my expirience. I am more afraid of dengue.
Peter

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

The last 10 years I also have taken nothing against anything.Only the 2 times I was in Papua (Lariam, one seems to get crazy of that, read my postings here Emoticon: Shiny )

In 2005 there were malariacases in Kulon Progo, Kabupaten Borobudur and Sukabumi, that is Java Emoticon: Shiny

hobo1
User
spacer line

I suggest you browse some of the internet sites about medicines for Malaria. In your surfing you will come across a medicine called Doxycycline. It is cheap, available locally, and is used as a preventive and a cure.

I live on Lombok. People here, including tourists, do suffer tremendously from the illness if they are the unlucky ones that get stung by the infected mosquito. Of course, left untreated, it can kill.

The obvious question, is why play Russian roulette with a mosquito who can kill you? If not kill, keep you suffering for a long time in a hospital. Don't screw around with malaria, take the pills. Consider yourself fortunate enough to live in an era where we do have prevention medicine. One hundred years ago, may of the Dutch colonialists died a painful death. I know they wouldn't be asking "Should I take the pills?".

Hideaway Bungalow in Kuta Lombok - check my homepage

kiwimave
User
User icon of kiwimave
spacer line

On 13-05-2006 17:32 hobo1 wrote:
I suggest you browse some of the internet sites about medicines for Malaria. In your surfing you will come across a medicine called Doxycycline. It is cheap, available locally, and is used as a preventive and a cure.

Doxy also has a lot of side effects: if you give it to children younger then 8 years, they will get permanently discolored teeth (u can spot some good examples of this side effect in Indonesia), with Doxy u cannot sunbath long (as your skin is more sensitive to the sun when taking the medicine) and of course long term antibiotic use will increase bacterial resistance against antibiotics both inside your own body as well as in the general society. I wouldnt advise using it longer then 3 weeks at maximum. Malarone is still the best but also the most expensive. It's always a matter of weighing the risks: an average tourist to Lombok who stays there 3 weeks has, well, say a chance of 1% of being bitten by a malariaparasite-infected female musquito in this period, and a chance of 0,01% of becoming severely ill due to this disease. If you think this chance is high enough to use those pills for 3 weeks just go ahead!

For Java and Bali I would not even think of recommending malaria-profylaxis. But for the outer islands it's always some risk-benefit-weighting. Only on West-Papua I would always advise to use it.

Gracias. Sama sama

sebastian
User
spacer line

Another thing to remember is july is in the dry when there is far less mozzys and far less risk, it gets very dry east of bali at this time (not including west-papua)

Your accomadation type also has an effect on your risk,if you staying more upmarket and have air conditioning your risk is lowered although this type of accomadation may be harder to find the further east you go.

It must be also remembered that mozzys that carry malaria are mostly active at night.

Agung
User
User icon of Agung
spacer line

On 13-05-2006 10:42 Peter Kaarls wrote:
Hi,
I have stayed in Lombok for the past 1,5 years close to senggigi 6 times 3 weeks and only the first time I took malaria tablets and after that no more. I am still alive and no problems whatsoever with catching malaria. Offcourse there is no guarantee, but this is my expirience. I am more afraid of dengue.
Peter
Senggigi and the little islands close to it have a bad reputation of malaria. Being lucky one time, doesn't mean it's a good idea to use nothing.

I wouldn't go there without taking tablets.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

76,937,086 topic views - 234,973 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,709 members - last post @ 17-11-2019 00:10 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,784,360 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com