indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sulawesi > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

Keeping dead body in the house for months even years before the family able to effort ceremony is praticed in Toraja. The deadman is considered as sick person before his funeral held, that's way offering food and drinks is still done. When the time comes, all families and relatives gathered for the funeral ceremony, the deadbody will then transfer to the funeral ground and put in a special place. The ceremony it self last for 4 or more depends on the deadman rank. Buffaloes fighting and slaugtering, guest reception, dancing etc shall not be missed. Family of the dead will sacrifice tens even hundreds of buffaloes if they are from nobleman class.

This funeral ceremony mostly take place from mid of July to mid of September every year. Please bear in mind, on sunday or public holidays especially on Indonesia's Independence day there normally no activities at all.
From Denpasar to Makassar, Garuda Airlines is now have an extra flight every Friday to Sunday at 1600.

Question as taken from Thorn Tree

chopin
User
spacer line

Thanks for the information Emoticon: Bye bye
But is this known to everybody in Indonesia??
Emoticon: Nooo

spacer line  

I know nothing of the ceremonies in Tana Toraja, but here in Jakarta I often see a crooked ambulance stuck in the trafic, with his poor sirene and flash lights on, with the following cars with there alarm lights on trying to follow the ambulance where the dead guy is in.

In front sometimes people with yellow flags very agressive waving at the people on the street.

The most terrible is that after the convoy of the relatives of the dead guy, there are always cars pretending that they belong to the convoy and agresively follow the convoy with also there alarm lights on, so they can get trough the trafic easier....

he he he..... respect for the dead....., yeah.... as long as they can profite from it...

Greetz

pPamela
User
spacer line

Recently I attended one of the funerals described above. The man had been dead ( in western terminology) for 9 months before his funeral. The reason for this being that thefamily needed to raise more funds so he could have a very good funeral ensuring a safe and definite passage to heaven. Another reason I was told for the delay can be trying to co ordinate all the family to be togther at the funeral.
It was an amazing experience, though I did not like to see the poor pigs all trussed up with bamboo and lying on their sides out in the scorching hot sun. I had a bird's eye view of the whole proceedings because I was very fortunate to be watching from a balcony right next to the funeral area.
As I was there very early. wiht my fantastic Toraja guide Yatim I got to watch all the women of the family being made up and dresses for the funeral.
Later I will post some photos- not many and no really gruesome ones.
Pamela.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

59,625,738 topic views - 227,277 posts - 13,610 topics - 18,977 members - last post @ 18-07-2018 16:37 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2018
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

102,791,989 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com