indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

spacer line  

Who has been to Way Kambas n.p.? I was planning to go there during my travel through Sumatra this summer, Which places in Central-south Sumatra are also worthwhile? I read that most tourists usually go no further south then Bukittingi

Mijn plan for now is as follows:

Singapore
~~Batam
~~Pekanbaru
bukittingi
?
Samusir
bohorok/bukit lawang
medan
--> somewhere halfway down sumatra -?
?
bandarlampung
way kambas
jakarta
singapore

~ ~= ferry
-->= plane

Who has tips and/or advice for me? The questionmarks I have to fill out yet. I don't know which places are nice to stop! In total I have 5 weeks(16 july-21 august) I heared tha from palembang a trein goes south?.

Instead of going to Bukit Lawang are there any better alternatives? (my book advices to go to Gurah instead) I red in my guide that bukit lawang is rather overtrekked and not the best place to start visiting gunung leuser park. (althoug the book is from before the floodings and tsunami)

2nd idea:

Singapore
-->Medan
bohorok/bukit lawang
Samusir
bukittingi
Padang
-->palembang
bandar lampung
way kambas
jakarta
singapore

spacer line  

Bloodhoundfromhell,

One tip, from Medan you should try to get van transport through the Batak Highlands to Lake Toba, and stop in the villages such as Lingga and at the Long House. In Toba, stay in Prapat and get a speedboat out to the island. If you decide to return to Medan to continue on, you can get transport to Siantar to catch a train back. Photos of the villages can be found at:
http://www.orientalarchitectur(...)toba/LAKETOBAMAP.htm

Yes, there is a train south from Palembang (station Kertapati) to Tanjunkarang. Per:
http://infoka.kereta-api.com/
There is a train leaving daily at 08.00, 09.00, and 21.00. To use the web-site, select English from the Bahasa menu at the bottom.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
I think you will find that quite a lot of travellers do go south to Padang or fly into Padang from Singapore.
There are lots of lovely beaches south of Bukittinggi and places to stay.
There is one special place I discovered in 2000 when I was on a bus from Bengkulu to Padang. My indonesian friend and I stopped off in Painan and found a great little beach house 2kms out of the village owned by a character called Eddy Usmardi.
It has become a favourite haunt of mine and I usually visit every year.
Painan is 2 hrs by bus from Padang. Best to get off in the main village and ask someone and for a short bus ride you will be dropped outside Eddy's Homestay.
Here is the link to a series of posts I wrote last year re Painan forum.indahnesia.com/topic/170(...)nan_west_sumatra.php
About 4-5 posts down is a link to the photos I took of the area plus all the other photos I took during my 60 days in Indonesia- Jan/Feb 2005.
As to the National Park I cannot help you as I have never been there.
Suggest you post on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree.
There is a young Indonesian guy who posts there under the name of donabollo?? who actually has family who live in Lampung or thereabouts.
He may be able to help you and Laszlo from Thorn Tree should have some knowledge of the area as he has travelled extensively throughout Indonesia visiting all the true 'off the beaten track places- National Parks etc.
Plus another experienced traveller to Sumatra who posts regualrly on Thorn Tree is RedApe. he should be able to contribute to your queries.
Good Luck.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

For magic photos of Indonesia by vkashi check here vkashi.googlepages.com/photographs
Click on the photographic sites to the left of the page.
He visited Indonesia last Nov/December and again to Yogja/Solo recently.
Pamela

Gré..
User
User icon of Gré..
spacer line

I can give you the name and e-mail adres of a wonderfull guide in Sumatera.
He knows a lot, and can let you see a lot of places where you allone never wil come.
We just came back today!

spacer line  

where is that guide located and what are normal fees for guides?

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

85,100,761 topic views - 240,132 posts - 13,728 topics - 33,218 members - last post @ 19-09-2020 21:36 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2020
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

138,802,831 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com