indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sulawesi > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Fairy
User
User icon of Fairy
spacer line

Hi Jeroen, I took a very satisfying tour through your Tana Toraja photos and enjoyed every one of them. I've learned a lot through your eyes and you have made me love Indonesia even more. I don't know when I'll ever get the chance to go to Sulawesi so for now I will just have to depend on you. Emoticon: Smile

I also saw on a show on Indonesia on the Discovery Channel (I think) that some families in Tana Toraja are in debt for a lifetime just to pay off the funerals of their relatives, now that's really something! It's as though more priority is placed on the dead rather than on the living.

I hope you have more photos coming up, Yerun. Emoticon: Smile

www.MyIndo.com: A Malaysian's Outlook on Indonesian Pop Culture! :)

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

Wah... don't depend on me for travelling to Sulawesi, but you can ask for information of course.

Yes, there will be more pictures of other places which I have visited last March.

It's really strange to see that the people there are spending so much money on the dead. Also if you realise that they are in fact Catholic, but because of their old animist believes, they take care very well of their dead.

Fairy
User
User icon of Fairy
spacer line

Yes Jeroen, I did read that folks there in Tana Toraja are Catholic, several times in fact you mentioned this! Are you of that faith? You seem very intent on telling people that this is the religion that this particular group of Indonesians embrace. Emoticon: Smile

www.MyIndo.com: A Malaysian's Outlook on Indonesian Pop Culture! :)

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

Crazy junkfood analyst:

It has nothing to do with my religion, since I'm not officially religious (but not a komunis either... Emoticon: Puh! ) but it's remarkable that the people in Toraja have manages to keep their traditional religion, and some catholicism. Ooh well, if you see the location of Tana Toraja you can imagine why a little bit...

Desi Clark
User
User icon of Desi Clark
spacer line

Where can I view the pics?

Effort and Courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

diederick
User
User icon of diederick
spacer line

Catholics? Animist or old beliefs? And a combination of both? In that the Toraja are certainly not the only one! In other parts of Indonesia (Flores, Timor) they are also very able to combine both religions, even without recognizing it themselves. By the way I did not know that the Torajas were catholic, quite interesting. I will tell someone immediatly about this!

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

On 20-04-2004 18:15 diederick wrote:
Catholics? Animist or old beliefs? And a combination of both? In that the Toraja are certainly not the only one! In other parts of Indonesia (Flores, Timor) they are also very able to combine both religions, even without recognizing it themselves. By the way I did not know that the Torajas were catholic, quite interesting. I will tell someone immediatly about this!

They are not the only one, but the Toraja are the biggest group living together with another religion than Islam

diederick
User
User icon of diederick
spacer line

Dear Jeroen, in this i like to differ. It is so that the Toraja religion, as you may call it so, is one of the few indigenious religions that are aknowledged by the Indonesian state (in 1968). As you maybe know animism (although still maintained by a lot of Indonesians) is not a official religion in Indonesia. I returned already from this "someone" , and was told that, quite contrary, the local believes "suffer" under the ungoing conversion to protestantism and catholicism (seen as modern). But that catholicism offers still a possibility to extensive death ritual under "all souls day". I don't know the number of Toraja but on Flores live more then 1 million people, almost all catholics, and almost all still conserving old rituals (although maybe not so apperent and beautiful as the Torajas). And what to think of the Badui in the complete islamic Sunda region?

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

Diederick,

I'm going to look for some information first before I reply Emoticon: Smile

batusura
User
spacer line

Re.: Torajans are Catholics

Approx. 90% of the Torajans are registered as Christians; 12% of them are Catholics. Accordingly, only 10% of the Torajans belong to the Catholic Church.

Gary
Webmaster Toraja Photo Gallery at www.batusura.de

batusura
User
spacer line

Re.: Toraja animism
It is true that animism is not an approved religion in Indonesia. After pressure from Toraja animists, their "Aluk To Dolo" belief has been officially recognized as a sub-division of Hinduism (!).

Re.: Toraja population numbers
Some 300 000 Torajans live in Tana Toraja, and approx. 1 000 000 live elsewhere in Indonesia (e.g. on Kalimantan/Borneo) or abroad.

Gary
Webmaster Toraja Photo Gallery at www.batusura.de

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

61,608,426 topic views - 228,142 posts - 13,630 topics - 19,450 members - last post @ 21-09-2018 11:01 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2018
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

105,670,499 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com