indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jakarta, the Big Durian > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

maskucing
User
spacer line

i am curious about what life is like for a westerner living in jakarta these days. how is it dealing with traffic? are there many other westerners living there? what types of activities are there for family?

my family is already in jkt. i am currently looking for a job in information technology in jkt. i know many indonesians and am mostly curious about the westerner perspective of life in the there. --kind regards

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

From which country do you origin?

Begin de details te vergeten

maskucing
User
spacer line

united states

spacer line  

Wait for Pinta our Jakarta Guide she will tell you every corner of the city for daily activities..

maskucing
User
spacer line

terima kasih. aku tunggu di cini.

spacer line  

Whazzup?? did somebody just mention my name? Oh, bule life in Jakarta.. Waduh.. tukad gangga and maskucing, I hate to disappoint you guys but I'm afraid I can't contribute to this discussion, I am not a bule, remember?
Even if I tried to reply maskucing's question then it would be "bule life in jakarta from a local's perspective" while maskucing has stated clearly he
needs westerner's.

(maskucing, do you know that in the past there was a children's puppet tv show in Jakarta named Si Unyil. The show was always started with this cheers,"HOM PIM PAH, UNYIL KUCING!!!" Emoticon: Wink Emoticon: Very funny

Slightly older, hopefully wiser, absolutely prettier

maskucing
User
spacer line

hey kinanti pinta, thanks for the reply. do you hang out with any westerners in jakarta? it's been several days, so i think there must not be many bule posting here that live in jakarta (if any). maybe you can give me some good ideas of where i can meet up with other expat families. do you know anywhere on the internet i can find out about activities besides indoindians.com?

i know the lifestyle is much different that what i am used to, so it would be nice to find a group of people that can help me assimilate into the community...

huahuahuauahaha, my wife mention that show when she meet my cat. Emoticon: Shiny his name is Kat, so we call him mas kucing Emoticon: Puh!

spacer line  

Maskucing,
I think you can find expat communities in jakarta by searching in google. I think two ways you can hook up with other expat families here is:
1. involve in your embassy activities, like brunch, gathering, id celebration, etc.
2. make sure the place where you work has many foreign employees, you can make friends with your colleagues.

or you can go to senayan and join expat sport clubs like frisbee or something else.. It's a good thing you marry an indonesian woman, so she can help you get a taste of the local culture and help you to adapt better. That's what I think, hope it could help. Emoticon: Bye bye

spacer line  

oh, by the way, in QB Bookstore at Plaza Semanggi (that's at jalan gatot subroto, next to Hotel Crown) there's a book titled "Expats" and another written by the owner of Bugils bar, titled Bule Gila. If you visit jakarta, maybe you can take a peek at the books. I haven't looked either, but judging from the titles, maybe they can give you the answers you need.

good luck.

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

Mas Kucing, your lifestyle has a lot to do with the company you are going to work for and where you live. For example, our company has 3 expats now in Jakarta. We rented a house for them in a certain neighbourhood where there are actually almost no foreigners. Furthermore, we are in the lucky position to have an office with a very good assimilation of all the people, both bule and Indonesians (budist, chinese, moslim, christian etc). So our bules go out often with our local people (as I did) and their families. But they also do visit clubs etc.
Kinanti, the book of Bart, owner of Bugils, is very, very funny. It gives a good insight view of the common problems and cases bules can be involved. A lot of laughs on my side. A recommendation for all of you.
Regards, Johan
By the way, ´our bules´ are already very known Removed to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile. Bugils!!

spacer line  

Why, thank you for the short review Johan. See, Maskucing, that's another good reason for you to poke into some pop literature.

By the way, Johan, if you're in Jakarta, how come you're still up at this hour? Just curious.. Emoticon: Very funny

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

Hi kinanti, I´m still up because I live in the Netherlands. But we have an office in Jakarta and this means that I truly live an almost 24 hours economy at the moment. Whenever and where ever there is something I have to attend, I will by means of MS Messenger, Skype, email or telephone.
But what is more surprisingly: why are you still up??? Just came back from, let me guess, the Embasy or what? Emoticon: Wink
Regards, Johan

spacer line  

Again, I've been wrongly accused. No, Johan, even though this is a holiday for many but I don't go out in weekdays (besides, Embassy is still closed after the fire, I suppose, but that's not the point). As a matter of fact, I am working.

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

Wrongly accused is a big word, I just forgot you work for a television station right? Still this means it is an akward time to work in Indonesia, but than again, Karaoke never stops also! Emoticon: Smile
Or did you just start and are you preparing the breakfast show or something? The embassy still not open? Takes a long time to open it again, isn´t it?
About Bugils, the last time I was there, was in July. We went there for Belgium Beer and Patat (french fries). I was in Jakarta because we were just up and running with the office and our employee from Belgium just arrived in Jakarta. So we showed him around and also showed him Bugils. We had a lot of fun with the standard jokes you make when you find a place like home in a foreign country. You probably know what I mean. Often people are fond of ´going local´. But we just had a great time with Belgium Beer and French Fries in Jakarta.
Regards, Johan

spacer line  

You have a good memory. Bugils, I haven't been there for a long time but I heard rumor it's closed also, is it true? If it is, too bad for you cloggies because there are certain types of beers that you could only get there.
I am preparing a morning news program. I have started since 11 p.m. Friends call me vampire, nocturnal girl, draculady etc.

about going local, well, for mere tourists maybe that's interesting but considering that you've been up and around in jakarta, it's only normal if you feel the need to return to your "roots". Belgium beer is fine but you should try the german beer at Schwabbing at Plaza Semanggi, lekker..

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

Bugils was only closed for a few days or so. It is already open again for a few weeks. In fact, the owner of Bugils just opened another pub: the Cazbar Removed to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile. JL. Mega Kuningan.
So you have the nicknames because you work during the night and sleep during the day? About television: one of our so called bules just did a shampoo commerciall. You won´t believe it, but he acually is our system manager who stays for 5 months in Jakarta. Furthermore, we are busy with a serie of episodes in which we are going to explain one of our products we develop. I do not remember the program, but maybe you know; it has to do with all different kinds of healing. Every episode there is another ´solution´ showed for a particullar decease, stress or whatever.
Is Semmanggi fully opened now? Last year when I was there it was still under construction, except the supermarket in the basement was fully operational.
Regards, Johan

spacer line  

In what television your program will be running? I usually don't watch that kind of show but if you would appear in the show, maybe I would watch.

Semanggi is fully open now! There's a very nice karaoke place there, Inulvista. The place is luxurious for a karaoke. I mean, I am used to small karaoke place like Nuff in Fatmawati, south jakarta, but this is wow, so grand. There is even a tamborine in every room, so just express yourself with it hahaha...
(karaoke is the only place where you can sing without afraid of people judging your voice. Why? because everybody else can't sing too. huehehe Emoticon: Laugh out loud

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

About the program: it is not a weird program or something. I do not recall the name, but I will informe you later. It will be not my face which will be seen on national television in Indonesian, but another one.
About the karaoke: well, I agree with you. I even sang once in a restaurant (vegetarian!) in Jakarta. And of course it was Kopi Dangdut. But I have sang a lot already in karaoke bars across Indonesia. Even more than here in the Netherlands. In fact, people are going wild when I do some dangdut dancing. I still do not know if it that is a positive or negative thing.... Emoticon: Wink Besides the karaoke with crowd you can also just take you private karaoke room. Also nice, but not really ´it´, don´t you think so?

spacer line  

You?? sing dangdut??? huahahahaha!! did you also do the drilling movement like Inul? If you sing dangdut well of course you will get a big applause here because not so many foreigners can sing indonesian songs, let alone dangdut! So, don't worry, it's not negative.
I have never tried a karaoke hall where everybody can see everybody, usually I book a private karaoke room because I only want to enjoy singing with my friends. Oh ya, once I have tried a karaoke bar, a small bar though, at Hotel Santika. The bar's name is Jali Jali, it is located exactly at the side of the swimming pool. Great view if you go there in the evening. Emoticon: Smile

maskucing
User
spacer line

you work in television, kinanti? i have friends that do alot of work with o channel. are you familiar?

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Maskucing, take a look on the website www.expat.or.id
That one will definitely give you a lot of answers on u'r questions.
Success.

spacer line  

maskucing, I only have one friend at o'channel but yes I am familiar with the station. It's an expansion of hard rock fm, the radio.

maskucing
User
spacer line

Thanks for the info, Yogya-Bali! I've found a ton of great information there. Also, thank you for your suggestions, kinanti pinta. I have subscribed to several email newsletters from http://www.bartele.com/

maskucing
User
spacer line

Ok, now I've been to Jakarta so I have a much better idea of life there for bule. By enlarge, it could be a great life in many respects. Although I do think it would be kind of like living in a bubble. I can't really go anywhere without everyone looking at me and watching everything I do. I was expecting that since I'm white like casper and 182cm, but it can make it difficult to maneuver around the city at times.

People generally don't like America in a catch 22 type of way, but I think it's really more that they don't like President Bush. Most people that I spoke with have the perception that all Americans do like Bush, which couldn't be further from the truth. Many people didn't care to look me in the eyes, which I don't really understand. It was explained to me that when people look at me they feel intimidated or have a low self-confidence. I suppose that would be a little annoying after a while, but once people warm up it's much different.

Overall my visit was great. It was great to see my friend that had a stroke is starting to walk again. My children were very well cared for by suster(sp?). The food was superb!! I especially like Camu at Ambassador Mall and Bebek Bengil (I went to the one in Bali and also in Jakarta).

I think I will try to move there with my family next year. Many of our friends live around Tebet so we'll probably live somewhere over there. Although, another friend in Kemang could make it easy to live in that area. Thanks for your input everyone.

oliver267
User
spacer line

Hi Maskucing,

I have suggestion that maybe usefull for you.

1. You can join the Salsa Dancing with your wife at Mistere
2. You can also go to American Chamber or AMCHAM for gathering with American who live in Jakarta
3. Try to go to the Embassy or Public in Senayan, Red Square or Dragon Fly for night club

If you have any question, pls feel free to ask me.

Have fun Emoticon: Party!
Olivia

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

76,847,173 topic views - 234,918 posts - 13,695 topics - 25,649 members - last post @ 14-11-2019 11:03 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,632,987 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com