indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jawa / Java > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

spacer line  

I went there on Tuesday. Lucky buggers, they are cut off from the 21st century and know nothing about what is going on around them. Azahari, Al Qaeda, Iraq, Jose Moaninho are passing them by

www.the-spiceislands.com/Indonesia/badui.htm

pPamela
User
spacer line

Thank you Exiledgooner for your very beautiful photos. I have a few photos I took when I visited the Badui in August 2000 with two guide friends from Bogor Adang and Gis Kis. An amazing culture and what a privledge to visit this unusual village.
community.webshots.com/album/515186973qvoyyD
Pamela

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

About The Badui People .

Are they the badui Luar or the badui Dalam. ?
The B.Luar , they (can) have contact with outsider.
The B. Dalam ("inner" Emoticon: Wink they have no contact (forbidden) with outsider.

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Sidia,
Here are some posts from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree re a recent discussion on the Badui. I ahve cut and pasted because this info' will fall off the Thorn Tree in 6-8 weeks and be lost forever.
exiledgooner
Posted: 30 Nov 2005
4:39pm
The Badui of West Java

go easy on me, the images are taking an age to upload...

badui

-------------------------
http://www.pissedupasia.com

RAK
Posted: 30 Nov 2005
7:06pm

Actually the upload was OK even on my broadband (ha ha) Kabelvision connection, who run their signals through molasses.
Did you stay overnight in the Luar villages?
Assume you did not sneal into Dalam land?

The comparison with N Korea was nice. I went there last month, and to the Badui about 10 years back. Not much in common really but in terms of isolation and oddness it's probably a draw.

exiledgooner
Posted: 01 Dec 2005
1:47am

i was referrin to the juche/self sufficency of the places

it took me ages to upload the images to the site...absolute pain and they re only small files...

RAK
3:30am

I think the Badui win hands down on self sufficiency. All they seem to need from outside in the Luar area are kretek cigarettes. matches (how do the Dalam light a fire?), the odd machete made from old truck springs, and some of their clothes. I also heard a radio once. Maybe cooking pots too? We never saw them cook, I wondered if they had posh German gas stoves hidden out back. I don't know if the Dalam depend at all on the outside (maybe stealing a light from the Luars' matches?).

The DPRK still needs a few basics from outside like food, most vehicles, planes, some of their military gear, anything electronic, and so on.

Both seem about equally closed off from the outside world and its ideas, except with the Badui it seems more or less voluntary. The Badui genuinely seem not to have heard of George Bush, the NKoreans just wish they hadn't. Both also seem to think they have the only correct way of living in the world. Not everyone would agree.

Your upload maybe due to your ISP here. Mine is tolerable at download (roughly good modem speed) but is really slow at upload, and I cannot upload large images (1-2mb) before the receiving site times out.

exiledgooner
3:39am

Both also seem to think they have the only correct way of living in the world. Not everyone would agree.

there many in the west who have the same thinkin...

i noticed the lack of activity regardin cookin. we were trated to some indo mie and fruit.

they tried selling some parangs, think they wanted 10 dollars

pPamela
3:50am

Exiledgooner, Thank you so much for showing us an area of Indonesia, most travellers have never heard of let alone visited.
Exile & Rak, did either of you stay overnight when you were there?

I stayed at Pak Ailin's (sp) house in 2000 for a couple of nights, with a couple of guide friends from Bogor, until the chicken lice drove us out.
Apparently Pak is allowed to have travellers come to stay and is allowed to have some artificial light. Food was cooked with a wood fire.
I met a young anthropologist staying at Pak Alam's who told us a bit about the people, seems they only eat twice a day and go to sleep once the sun goes down.
No comfortable beds or pillows or any such comforts. Except I think I had some sort of pillow, but then I was a guest. Sleeping on the floor boards covered in chicken lice that crawled all over us biting us to death was not much fun.
However, I am so happy I went down for the visit and after your fantastic photos Exile, might try another visit next yr when I am back in Bogor in June.

Exile, did you see how they grow the rice?
I was told the rice is grown by the dry method on the side of the hills, not in terraces like the rest of Indonesia.
Same method is used also by the Badui group of Kampang Naga situated between Garut and Tasikmalaya who broke away from this original group as they wanted to practice the Muslim religion.

Did you get to see some of the Inner Badui? They are the ones who wear the off white clothing compared to the dark navy or black clothing of the Outer Badui.
I know you cannot visit the Inner Badui, but I was lucky enough to meet some of them at Pak Ailin's house and bought some of their handbags and spoons and forks.
Even on the day we were leaving to go back to catch the bus we met them on the track on their way to Bogor to sell their wares.
Pamela

Photos of Indonesia

exiledgooner
4:10am

i didn t stay overnight. i saw the rice plantations on the slopes where i tried my best not to slip slide away and i saw their silos. didn t meet any dalam

the guy we were tagged on to i can t remember his name, miserable bugger he was, rarely smiled...

was the anthropoligist the german guy???

pPamela
4:18am

No, the anthropologist was a young Indonesian guy from Bandung, about 26 yrs old and he told us he had been studying the Badui for about 10 yrs and regularly visited and lived with the people. He did not speak english so I had to communicate through one of my guides, so could not have a real Pamela conversation asking 100 million questions per second.
Pamela

Photos of Indonesia

exiledgooner
4:32am

yeah i had to go from english to indonesian to sundanese and back again with interminable waits fro translation. i tried my indonesian but no one ever understands me except for the missus and i m sure she s only bein kind

RAK
4:52am

I stayed in 2 Luar villages, 3 nights I think, but I forget the names - It was 10 years ago and Bintang has taken its toll on my memory.
A friend and I slept outside on the terrace/balcony of the house, and a Belgian family slept inside. It was dry and outside seemed more comfortable. We took some sort of sleeping pads (thin foam?) and thin sleeping bags, and the floor was rattan, so not completely hard. We had no problem at all with insect,s not even a single mosquito bite. The villages were both some distance from the washing and toilet areas which helped I guess.
We (or our outside porters/guides) carried in food and water and cooked for us (on portable gas stoves?). We never saw the Badui cook or eat, it seems to be a private matter. Apparently no-one knows what they do with their dead either. (I trust these 2 issues are not related!)

The first village was very nice, I think we stayed 2 nights. One evening we were invited into another house for a music and sing-song session, possible not really an approved activity as they kept fairly quiet. Sadly that village burnt down about a year later, but they said it would be rebuilt as before. The second village was really odd, it seemed to me some sort of magic place, very odd things going - too hard to explain here. No sleep at all, far too odd. It was near the Dalam border. We were allowed to walk up to the border and could easily have stepped in, but it did not seem right to even put a toe over the line.

As well as guides from Jakarta, our real guide was the head of (I think) the first Dalam village we stayed in. A very nice guy, spoke basic Indonesian, nearly as badly as me. Very friendly in a quiet way. Dressed correctly in blue but liked to have a kretek ciggy every time we stopped for a rest, which was often on the hills. He was very fit and claimed he needed cigarettes to keep that way.

We saw a couple of Badui Dalam but they totally ignored us, as if we were there - rather like they treat me in Bugils Pub, Jakarta Emoticon: Smile
Last year I saw 3 Badui Dalam talking to the guards outside Chase Plaza in central Jakarta, asking directions I guess. Barefoot and completely in Dalam off-white. Very odd.

exiledgooner
5:31am

good memories from rak and ppamela

not sure i d want to spend the night there. funny, i was just thinkin about what they did with the dead..

but yeah fit buggers they are. still i may not be able to clamber round the hills like them but i bet they couldn t go on a 3 day bender then go to work without any sleep eh???

mind you nor can i these days

pPamela
5:32am

Just found a few photos and up loaded them to webshots. Can be viewed Here.
Nowhere near as beautiful as yours Exile.

Photos of Indonesia

exiledgooner
5:41am

i ve had enough of bloody uploadin. i m tryin to upload a 50 kb page and it keeps timin out.

gis kis??? don t tell me, he s middle name begins with an A?

wot about your guide in bogor. has he got his own car and how much for the day???

exiledgooner
5:47am

pak ailin - yep he s the man, got us our indo mie!!!

I saw 3 Badui Dalam talking to the guards outside Chase Plaza in central Jakarta, asking directions I guess. Barefoot and completely in Dalam off-white. Very odd. - very odd indeed. why would anyone ask directions of anybody in jakarta...

exiledgooner
5:47am

pak ailin - yep he s the man, got us our indo mie!!!

I saw 3 Badui Dalam talking to the guards outside Chase Plaza in central Jakarta, asking directions I guess. Barefoot and completely in Dalam off-white. Very odd. - very odd indeed. why would anyone ask directions of anybody in jakarta...

RAK
7:33am

#13/14 I ask directions on a regular basis in Jakarta for what it's worth. If you know how the house numbers work (or don't work) here you probably do too.... number 23 next to number 2 (since in many streets the house numbers are in building permit order), two number 19s in the same street, street signs missing, street names dont match the map, buildings with no numbers. Not that asking helps much, maybe that is what you mean. In the kampungs people seem to have no idea about anything over 100m away.

And of course I have no idea what they were really talking to the Satpams about, I lingered nearby for a couple of minutes but could not hear/understand.

pPamela
12:24pm

Exile,
Adang and Gis Kis do not have cars. We caught a public bus to somewhere, too long ago for me to remember 5.5 yrs (can't blame the bad memory on bintang like RAK can) and walked in. We probably did take food, but can't remember.
I just remember I did not take much money, bought the bits and pieces off the Badui Dalam and did not have much money left over to pay Pak Ailin and his wife got very angry with me. Next year I will make sure I have lots of money on me!!

Was told not to take photos of the people so I respected that wish, so that's the reason for lack of people photos on Badui.
Met one man during one of my walks with a terribly swollen knee and problems with his shoulders.
He asked ( Adang translated for me) if I would massage his feet so there was Pamela in the Badui village sitting on a verandah massaging this man's feet.
Was told he coould go to a medical doctor but in the end would opt for the local dukun.

The name Gis Kis is short for give us a kiss. ( He used to say this to the travellers years ago when he looked like Bob Marley and all the European girls wanted to take him home, but he would have died in the winter cold, so opted to stay in Indonesia)
Gis is a jungle man from Solok in Sumatra, lives a quiet life in Bogor and sometimes takes travellers down to see the Badui.

Exile, how did the up loading go or is it still to happen?
Pamela

For the past couple of yrs I have flown him and Adang ( interprets for me) to West Sumatra with me. The first year Gis stopped in Solok for a few days.
I would loved to have trekked through the jungle to his parents home, but there was a lot of village fighting going on at the time and he said too dangerous- not sure if that was a story.
Didn't go in Jan this year and entertained us on our 19 day hire car trip through West Sumatra. He is such a funny man and we never stop laughing when he is around. And I have never seen anyone eat so much food and be so skinny. But then in Bogor he only eats twice a day and mainly lives on coffee and his ciggies.
I think when he is travelling with me he stocks up for the year with the food.

Not sure how much Gis Kis charges to go to see the Badui. The 3 of us just went down as friends ( I would have paid Gis something but not sure what).

Photos of Indonesia

pPamela
12:26pm

Sorry about the previous post, should have done a preview. it is all over the place. Many apologies.

Photos of Indonesia

RAK
6:40pm

Pamela, I took loads of photos, they did not ask us not to and nobody seemed to mind. The only exception was when we saw people building a house a few metres from the Dalam border. We were watching and someone a photo, then the Badui asked us not to take photos. I think they said that their house building methods were a secret so not to be photographed. We put the cameras away.
I don't think we took any close up photos of Badui people, except maybe the guide and another family we stayed with (who seemed to be trying to get me interested in their daughter as a potential bride!); I don't remember if we were asked not to take close-ups of people, but I think it just did not feel right. I probably took a couple of rolls of films of houses, countryside, etc..
My photos (film not digital) are now in the UK; I'll try to dig them out and scan some when I am there.

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

I have met the badui's 45 yrs ago in my fathers house in jakarta.
They visit my father for several times , of course the badui luar.
They did it on behalf of their Puun (Chief?) , the link with our family because we are also sundanese and my grandfather was head of district in the dutch colonial period , appr. around 1880 to 1923 .
At that time (more than 100 yrs ago) they always visit the regents(bupati) or wedana , the head districts where they live , to pay respect.
It seems that they are not more pure if someone have seen 3 badui dalam in jakarta.

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

pPamela
User
spacer line

Sidia,
How fascinating that you met the Badui in your father's house in Jakarta.
From what you are saying the Badui Dalam stayed in the village and no-one saw them. That appears to have changed now.
I met three Badui Dalam whilst walking in the area of Badui Luar. I even bought some hand made product from them. I know that no-one can enter their village.
Then on the day my friends and I left the Badui Luar we got to a section of a forked road and whilst wonderiing which one to take, some of the Badui Dalam appeared and pointed us in the right direction.
I would really like to revisit the area, maybe in June 2006.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Here is a website featuring information about the Badui.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badui
Pamela

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

77,027,794 topic views - 235,014 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,728 members - last post @ 18-11-2019 23:38 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,845,138 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com