indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > In the news > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (3 reactions)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

BlogBlot
User
spacer line

Indonesia to pay fuel subsidies to poorest
Indonesia is to pay the equivalent of $10 a month to about 15.5m impoverished households for three months in an effort to soften the political impact of a fuel price rise expected in early October. The move, which officials said might become the foundation of a social security system in the world’s fourth largest nation, is thought to be unprecedented for Indonesia.
Continue reading , click the title

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

So they will start cash payments to the poorest in compensation to the high fuel prices. I'm very curious if this money will ever be paid. Also how it will be distributed and now it will be registered..

belgianguy
User
User icon of belgianguy
spacer line

giving cash to the poor...I have my doubts!
previously I saw how subsidized rice was 'distributed' to the poor (they had to get coupons and then they could buy rice at cheaper subsidized prices) and that system was very prone to corrupt practices, there was a lot of wheeling and dealing in those coupons and the rice itself
anyways the way to help the poor is not by giving them cash (they'll spend it on cigarettes or on the illegal lottery schemes that are very popular all over indonesia) but to give them better access to education and jobs and health services etc
I guess the government wants to give the cash for a while to try to avoid mass riots after the gasoline hikes and other price increases that will inevitably happen
interesting times ahead!

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

86,718,235 topic views - 240,492 posts - 13,734 topics - 34,010 members - last post @ 23-11-2020 18:52 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2020
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

141,390,864 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com