indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jakarta, the Big Durian > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

spacer line  

Hey..

Im 23yrs old and I will start with my internship in Jakarta in October for one year for an international company.
Im a jew and was wondering if there is any jew community or a synagogue in Jakarta. This will be my first time ever visiting Indonesia, maybe there will be a culture shock for me..so I can be prepared?

Also I would like to ask, I have a dual citizenship the Dutch one and Israeli one, which citizenship would be much easier to obtain an Indonesian visa?

All information will be appreciated! Thanks!

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

Hi Eyal,

You better keep silent about you being jew, Indonesians won't understand. There is a Synagoge in Surabaya, but I heard the last jews left this world. It is on the Jl. Kayun near the Brantas river.

regards,

Londoh

spacer line  

hey londoh

why? i thought Indonesia is a country 'unity in diversity' with 'godsdienstvrijheid' right?

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

Yes but they are also muslim, and simple folks who are brainwashed by Ulama. But no problem if you just keep low profile, I am partly jew myself, from Mokum, the real amsterdammer has a jewish ancestor, my grandmother was "german"

Regards

Londoh

sidik
User
User icon of sidik
spacer line

Eyal,

The best thing to do is not to mention your Israeli passport. You have to fill in a form when approaching the airport and the question is in the same section as : have you been in South America lately.

tunawisma, tunakarya, tunamasalah

spacer line  

Dear Eyal,

You have to listen to them. While there are some people who can accept you, there are much more people who find that being a Jew has been a sin.
Take care and have a nice day! I hope you will find happy days here. And I don't mind if you lend me Torah to read. Emoticon: Puh! or tell me more about Kaballah.
About Jews here, one of my previous bosses is a Jew and my boss now is a Jewish descent, I think. But both of them are non believer, so I don't think that they go to Sinagogue.

Warm Regards

WJ

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

Eyal ,
salamalaikum
Listen to Londoh & Sidik.

Johny .
You can also read the Bible .I think it is the same book.

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

spacer line  

Dear Sidia,

How are you man? How is Amsterdam?
Well, I always think it's interesting to cross the boundary of One's own Holy Bible. Emoticon: Puh! Besides, Kaballah is really interesting.

To Eyal, Syallom.

WJ

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

Johny ,
setil going setrong
with jamu cap nyonya meneer

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

spacer line  

Hahaha, and Anggur cap orang muda? Emoticon: Worship

rudolf
User
spacer line

Halo Eyal
As far as I know there are no real Jewish community in Jakarta. But you can also find sabbath keeping congregation using English.

Rudolf

rudolf
User
spacer line

It will be easier to get a visa with your Dutch visa.
Rudolf

Agung
User
User icon of Agung
spacer line

Do like the rest has told you: go there like a Dutch man and just forget while you're there that you also have an Israeli passport.

Don't even mention your Israeli passport, even if they ask about it.

Enjoy your holiday! Emoticon: Smile

kadir
User
spacer line

hi eyal...
I also believe that u should not mention about your being a jew.. just be a dutch Emoticon: Smile i believe someone told u that there is a synagogue in Surabaya... i lived there for 6 months and never heard about it... i saw one in Singapore...( 1 hour flying Emoticon: Smile take care and also....

FEYENOOOOOOOOOOOORD
Emoticon: Bye bye

AnisJ
User
User icon of AnisJ
spacer line

Shalom Eyal yth.,

When I was in Israel in th 70/ties, I was astonished to come accross an Israelian who know how to pronounce my name right .....
It turns out that he went to IsraŽl, when it was proclamed independent; by the way he had lived in Surabaya ......
'Does not many 'Jews' went to IsraŽl in the 'period of proclamation' ???'
I had also visit 'Jebel Al Musa'; afterall a human being has 2/two eyes so why not ...... ???

'Ahu kura ahia, mansia nia'

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Hi Eyal. Send me an email cause there is a jewish community in Jakarta but am afraid to point you to the right person in public cause it could cause him some troubles. I know quite a lot of Jews in Jakarta.

oljoe
User
spacer line

All right they're not aggressively muslim in Indonesia as in, say Iran, but jeez man there are 200,000,000 of 'em and there have been bombings and religion-based massacres. Use your head but don't wear your yarmulke on it!

Mazel tov Emoticon: Stupid

AnisJ
User
User icon of AnisJ
spacer line

Oljoe yth.,

Like they say in Dutch: 'Een gewaarschud man telt voor twee'.

But like everywhere, there are moderate ones and extremist radicalist fundamentalists, but I think Eyel know for himself what is the best.
'Did not a Jewish extremist fundamentalist killed one of their important leaders, who was trying to get a 'peace treaty' with the Palestinians ..... '
So, what I am trying to say 'you will find these radical extremist fundamentalists, in every community/nation .....'

But there are also 'peace loving' ordinary people .....

Johnny 'Kabala' is a dangerous book; you do not read it for fun ...... reading wrong could end up in 'crazyness' or 'suicide', ask Yelel, as a ISRAELian !!!
Why not compare Tora versus Bible, versus Al Koran ..... like 'Yusuf Ronny' did.
At least read Kabala with a 'mentor' .......

patung
User
spacer line

Yes, the synagogue in Surabaya is not really active I think. Officially it's registered as a charity. I once went to the Jewish area of the big Christian cemetery in Surabaya, and the people hanging around there were quite friendly to me, they assumed I was looking for a long-gone relative's grave, which I wasn't.

On the other hand I remember seeing a protest outside the US consulate, by a group of women, they were holding signs like "Kill all Jews" , really dumb.

depok
User
spacer line

there are dozens of jews in Indonesia (mostly expats in Bali)

I've come across dozen's of Indonesians with Jewish mothers and Indonesian fathers.

In the 90's the Indonesian Tourism Minister was Jewish - Joop Ave?? along with one of Suharto's most controversial bodyguard.s - Yapto - of Pemuda Pancasila fame. There were some Israeli Jews who used to congregate at Hotel Indonesia in mid 90's.

Here's an old article on the Jews of Surabaya
http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/~(...)esia/latitudes.html.

There was once a synagogue in the Sunda Islands - dutch jews of Portuguese origin.

Londo Depok

spacer line  

mentioning u have a israeli passport is like ...

going to the jungle of kingkong and telling him ,,

oooiiii ,,wanna box ?......

A man dies but his soul survives

AnisJ
User
User icon of AnisJ
spacer line

S.lmat s.mua yth.,

"We talk about 'Jews' actually I rather talk about 'Israelians' as a tribute to their 'well-known' ancestor; the term 'Jews' reminds me, too much, of 'Second World-War times'.
"Should we also talk about 'Ismaelians' instead of 'Arabians' ??? "I wonder ...."

But anyway who knows more about the story that the new airport, at Jakarta, nowadays is designed by 'Israelian engineers', who replaced British engineers ...... for it was required to make it possible to park the aeroplanes beneath the ground.
The British said that it was not possible, then the Israelians came in; they said with their method it is possible ......

patung
User
spacer line

Jews is an ethnic/religious term isn't it, and it isn't confined to just one country. If we just mean the people who live in Israel then yes we should just say Israeli. Lots of Israelis are actually Arabs though.

AnisJ
User
User icon of AnisJ
spacer line

Patung yth.,

It is the way you are used to see it, I think, 'Avram' or 'Ibrahim' ........... Sara or Hagar .......

spacer line  

There's in deed a small Jewish community in Djakarta. In the NIW of july 2005 there was a article about Jews in Indonesia (Djakarta, Surabaya and Menado).
If you like to have more details. Please reply in English or Dutch. www.kiffmeyer2002Removed to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.yahoo.com

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

51,421,991 topic views - 223,909 posts - 13,518 topics - 16,742 members - last post @ 23-11-2017 03:56 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

92,451,481 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com