indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

spacer line  

During recent visits to Lombok (a year ago I did not know about the existence) beside the fact that I felt really in Paradise I came also across somebody who voluntarily educate young people of which parents cannot pay for regular school. They are small subsidized by the government but they really need sponsorship. Can anyone tell me how to pick this item up, without going through official channels? Too much money does not reach this "foundation". I saw about 40 young people (age 4-8 years) 15 people in the secondary school age and mother education and I was really impressed. This institute is called PKBM PJAR, Cakranegara, Lombok. Any information is welcome. thanks and kind regards.

macan
User
spacer line

Dear Peter ,

I can not help you much on this but I would suggest you to visit http://www.mimpimanis.com/wst_page4.html then click on Forum ( lomboklover).
You will meet lots of expats who live on Lombok for many years with lots of experiance about Lombok and you can ask anything about lombok to them.
I am sure they will help you .

All the best dan semoga berhasil ( good luck !! )

macan

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Peter,
Was going to suggest the same. Gemma Marjaya who owns Mimpimanis and created groups.msn.com/LombokLovers two years may be able to help you with information or maybe one of the other ex pats who post quite regularly on the forum like GregLuke.
And check out www.
There is a woman from Perth married to a guy from Lombok and she goes under the name Freo Girl. She may well know the organisation you are talking about.
We were all posting the other night on a topic Girl In Medan so maybe tack onto the end of that one or start a new topic.
If and when you find out any information, could you please post it here as I may be interested in helping in some way at a later date.
I have my own little weekend English school in Cipanas/Cianjur West Java to help children who could never afford extra english lessons and I also send 4 children to school who cannot afford to go to school.
I would love to help on Lombok in some way once I get my fashion accessories business off the ground.
Pamela.

hobo1
User
spacer line

Hi Peter,
I have lived on Lombok fill time for the past 5 years(expat from the US). I don't know the organization you speak of directly, but can find out more information for you in a short time. I will post more when I find the answer. In the meantime, you can contact me directly at sudah_gilaRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.yahoo.com. You are correct, many ways that your money can be "re-directed" - so e-mail me before you put out any money, okay?
Greg

Hideaway Bungalow in Kuta Lombok - check my homepage

sasaks
User
spacer line

Hi Peter,
I come from Lombok ( Praya ) and live several years here in Holland.
I don't know that organization you talk about! but I'd like you to give me some information about them so that I can help you to pick up that items!

Next year in january we are going to Lombok ( Pulang Kampung ) please give me the addres of PKBM PJAR because I would like to meet them.

Salam

hobo1
User
spacer line

Hi Peter,
Here’s the best information I was able to glean from another teacher friend of mine. Apparently the school you are talking about is not really a school – it is more like a community activity center, which includes a school. All schools in Indonesia start with the letter ‘S’. The organizations you are referring to are often started by entrepreneurs. The Indonesian government will give a subsidy for private schools. Becoming a teacher is a career pursued by many people. If they can get a job in a public school, the pay is quite good. However, Lombok has an excess of teachers. So many, very good teachers choose to “volunteer” at other schools to gain experience. Usually a small stipend is paid to these teachers.

A good administrator can start a private school, find the best of the unemployed teachers, and supply better facilities than public schools. With good teachers and good facilities, many parents pay extra to send their kids to these private schools. With expenses low and students paying a high tuition, the administrator can make a good profit. Part of the scam to get grants and donations is to tell everyone that the students are from poor families and the teachers are volunteers. Creative bookkeeping helps out.

Several facts prove the point. First, Cakranegara is part of Mataram, a metropolitan area and people must be relatively wealthy to live in the area. Poor families live in rural areas where they work in the rice fields. They build small bamboo huts in a community village and live very frugally. Another thing, 40 children is a very small school for a private school, which is providing free education. In rural areas where no public schools are available, a private, non-profit school would jamb hundreds of kids into an single classroom area. The small fee paid by the students is barely enough to keep the building maintained. This is a true private school – no supplies, no toilets, leaky roof. Only enough money to buy a blackboard and chalk. But the schools do teach the kids the alphabet, enough math to count money, and basic Indonesian language skills.

Here are some options if you want to help.
1. You could donate supplies in the form of writing paper, pens, a cassette player, but a cash donation has a very good chance of being diverted.
2. If you were in Lombok, you could work with a local builder to repair the roof, provide toilets, or even arrange for nutritious meal (such as fruit, meat soup, etc.) for the students.
3. The most popular way for tourists to help students is to pay tuition for 5 or 10 students to go to public school. The cost per student is about 10 Euro per year (including uniforms and a little extra spending money). Often kids who are good students in the first few grades cannot continue because their families are poor. If you are in Lombok, you can spend a little time making the arrangements. That generally includes talking to one or several teachers, choosing the students you will help, talking to the headmaster, and perhaps making a handwritten contract with multiple signatures. That way, the parents know they can send their kids to school, the teachers will understand the arrangements (and often communicate with you via e-mail), and the headmaster has no choice but to remain honest. Each year you can wire the headmaster money, then inform the teacher(s) of the continuing arrangements. If you want to feel closer to the situation, you can have the teacher take pictures and maybe have the students write letters to you once in awhile.

If you are not in Lombok, you have the problem of finding someone who you can trust to make the arrangements. If you do not already know someone in Lombok, I would be happy to work with you. I can send you the name (and e-mail address) of a man whom I helped in the past. He could serve both as a reference and someone for you to discuss the pitfalls (and joys) of getting more closely involved in the local community.

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you want to pursue this further.

Greg

Hideaway Bungalow in Kuta Lombok - check my homepage

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

76,937,086 topic views - 234,973 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,709 members - last post @ 17-11-2019 00:10 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,784,644 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com