indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

pPamela
User
spacer line

I visited Lake Maninjau for the first time in early Jan this year and really fell in love with the area. I have uploaded some photos to webshots and here is the link.

pPamela
User
spacer line

jokebro
User
spacer line

pamela, ik heb genoten van de foto's.
alles van sumatra intreseert me heftig.
Is er iemand die ooit een reis in
atjeh ondernomen heeft en foto's gemaakt heeft van Lake Tawar?
en omgeving Lokseumwa?

pPamela
User
spacer line

Jokebro, sorry I do not speak your language. Are you asking about a lake in Aceh? Unfortunately I did not get to Aceh. I was hoping to go with a woman Katie ( from
www.childrenofsumatra.org who is married to Ali, an Acehense who were taking trucks in by themselves. However, our schedules did not match, so I gather her a donation instead.
Pamela.

nairan
User
spacer line

Hai Pamela,

The photo's of Lake Maninjau are super. We are going in august 2005 to this lake. I saw the pictures 16 -18 from a losmen, so beautiful. Do you have adresses for me? Off course any tips for this area I love to get from you.

Thanks! Nairan

dangdude03
User
User icon of dangdude03
spacer line

On 05-06-2005 22:18 jokebro wrote:
Is er iemand die ooit een reis in
atjeh ondernomen heeft en fotos gemaakt heeft van Lake Tawar?
en omgeving Lokseumwa?

Hi Joke,
I have been traveling in Aceh in 1998. You can read my story (Dutch) here:

http://indonesiepagina.nl/show.php?code=WWVI03

I have some more pic's, unfortunately not so much, if you want them.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Nairan,
Glad you liked the photos.
The losmen belong to Lili's, accomodation owned by a New Zealand woman married to an Indonesian. She was not there and from what I heard is currently living in Bukit Tinggi.
There is a photo no. 15 showing the front of Lili's. There is no real address.
I just found it in the Rough Guide Indonesia and I think there was a rough map but once we were down on the shore of the lake, we had to ask directions.
It is quite a long way from the main road so make sure you take a good torch with you if you plan to visit other places closer to the main road at night.
There is food available at Lili's and we were happy with eating there for a couple of nights, but it always took them so long to cook.
I was fortunate to have a hired vechile to get around because Lake Maninjau was a part of a larger 19 day journey through West Sumatra beginning in Painan south of Padang where I hired the Kijang and driver for myself and my 3 Indonesian friends.
When you get to Lake Maninjau, hire some bicycles if you are fit or hire a motorbike or guide and motor bike to get around the Lake.
It is a huge lake and takes a long time to get around.
It is such a paradise and so natural, large areas of jungle in between villages and not westernised at all like Lake Toba.
And to be staying right by the lake where we were was just heaven. Went swimming in the lake and the water was quite warm.
It was my first visit and I just fell in love with the place and would have loved to stayed longer, but I was on a bit of a schedule so had to keep moving.
However, I regularly visit Indonesia so will definitely return some day.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Nairan,
There has been a discussion re accomodation at Lake Maninjau on Thorn Tree recently. Thought you might like to read it. Here is the link
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.(...)=1&parentid=0&from=1

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Joke,
Here is a link to some Aceh photos an Indonesian internet friend of mine took one month after the tsunami.
http://www.worldisround.com/ar(...)es/137996/index.html

jokebro
User
spacer line

dangduede03 inderdaad dat was een prachtreis, het was een van de eerste websites die ik onder de ogen kreeg en ik heb van het verhaal genoten.
Ik wil erg graag van de aanbieding gebruik maken om de foto's van je in mijn bezit te krijgen.

jokebro
User
spacer line

hoi pPamela,
I did enjoyed the website and at the same time it hurts my heart to see and to know how these people have to struggle for their future. With or whitout help, they have lost so many many children.
By the way, my mother was born in Atjeh, to be precieusly in Bulohblangara,
and I do remeber her telling stories over Lake Tarwar. That's why my intrest.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Joke,
Pleased to offer you something to see, and I understand how much it hurts. I arrived in Indonesia on 23rd December 2004 and 3 days later when I was in Cianjur, West Java I heard the terrible news from Gemma an English friend on Lombok (
http://groups.msn.com/LombokLovers) via sms. My friends and I watched on t.v. in utter disbelief that something so terrible had happened.
From that day till now I feel such a sadness in my heart and everywhere I went in Indonesia from 26th December till February 19th everyone I met knew of someone from or in Aceh.
My special friend from Painan who features in my Painan photos Edi Usmardi is Achenese and his mother originally from Pidie was so devastated.
Actually I had planned to visit Banda Aceh city ( 7 yr desire to see the huge mosque there) and go to Pulau Weh for a few days, but naturally that had to be abandoned
Whenever I visit Indonesia my spirit is always so light and happy because I always feel at home spiritually. However, this last trip there was such a heaviness all the time because of the disaster in Aceh and other parts of north Sumatra.
Do you know of the website that details all current aid and what is happening in Aceh? I will post the link in the next message

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Joke,
Here is the website that gives daily reports of what is happening in the reconstruction of the earthquake devastated areas of Aceh,North Sumatra, Nias & so on.
http://www.indonesia-relief.or(...)od.php?mod=publisher
Pamela.

nairan
User
spacer line

Hi Pamala,

Thanks for the tips! I'am there in august 2005 so I will let you know.
10 years ago I was for the first time at Lake Maninjau, and fell in love.
My father lives in Sumatra and my brother lives in Jakarta. This year we travell a couple of days with the whole familiy, also them who lives in Holland (our familie is a totall of 18 people). We start in PemangtangSiantar and then we travell to some places who are special to my familie and visit oure family place at Mela (nearby Sibolga). Do you know that place? Also..you visit Indonesia regulary, can you tell me more?
Nairan

spacer line  

Hi Pamela....
The pics. are very nice. They make me home sick. I am originally from Sumatra and currently I have been living in US for 8 years. My fav. are the sunsets pics. They remind me of my childhood in plantation area where we had small lake in our backyard. When the sun down the sky was crimson red and it was very beautiful.
Oh well now I only have maple trees and granite stone on my back yard Emoticon: Smile
Thanks again for sharing

maple-leafs

pPamela
User
spacer line

Thank you Maple-leafs for your message. I can somewhat understand how you feel because I feel homesick for Sumatra a lot of the time.
I first ventured there with a West Sumatran guy Boy Suryadi in 1997 whom I had met in Bali. We visited Padang where I met his family and then we went onto Bukittinggi and did a hotel tour from there and then onto Surian ( I think or a place near there) and finally to Muara Labuh. In Muara Labuh I met the most wonderful family that Boy knew and they have become like part of my family. I have a very special bond with the 72 yr old mother whom I call Mumma and she is my adopted grandmother. I try to visit them almost every year and in 2000 I spent a whole week on the rice farm and spent the mornings touring around on the motor bike with Boy ( even went panning for gold in the jungle by the river) and cutting rice in the afternoons.
Then in the early evenings I was given matches and helped burn the rice fields.
For me that was one of the best experiences of my life and such a wonderful memory of Muara Labuh because I am off a dairy farm here in Australia. On the farm I lived the first 13 yrs of my life without electricity, running water or telephone and it certainly made life very simple and sweet.
These days I live in Sydney in the concrete jungle, but my heart yearns for the farms and countryside of Sumatra.
Whereabouts did you live in Sumatra?
Pamela.

spacer line  

Hi Pam...
Oh gee...your descriptions of the farming and the rice field really make me home sick.... do I need to slap your wrist for that Emoticon: Smile
I used to live in North Sumatra. I grew up in commercial plantation (i.e. rubber tree, palm oil, cocoa) area and both my parents are agronomist. As we know mostly the commercial plantations in North Sumatra are originally run by Ducth before the independence.
Mostly located in Kabupaten Simalungun and Deli ( Kabupaten = county ).When I was little I remember visiting my aunts who are traditional farmer in Karo highland. Most their crops are cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, not so much of rice. I was told these crops were introduced by the Dutch.

Sometimes I dream about go back to Indonesia and have my own bamboo plantation. Once my mother told me that the bamboo forest are getting scare in Indonesia.
Pam....thank you again for sharing the pics.

maple-leafs

jokebro
User
spacer line

I know this has nothing to do with sumatra, but pamela my second sister also lives in Sydney almost for 30 years now.
My youngest son is in Melbourne to finish a project and the first of July he is in Sydney to visit his auntie. Small world don't you think.

dangdude03
User
User icon of dangdude03
spacer line

On 11-06-2005 21:21 jokebro wrote:
dangduede03 inderdaad dat was een prachtreis, het was een van de eerste websites die ik onder de ogen kreeg en ik heb van het verhaal genoten.
Ik wil erg graag van de aanbieding gebruik maken om de fotos van je in mijn bezit te krijgen.

Sorry Joke, ik zag nu pas je reactie staan, bedankt daarvoor. Ik ga vandaag die foto's opzoeken en doorsturen. Ik hoop je daar een plezier mee te doen.
Groetjes, Jan.

latex40
User
User icon of latex40
spacer line

Hoi Jokebro,
Deels heb je van dangdude03 het een en ander gehoord over zijn reis in Sumatra met bijbehorende foto's.
In 1996 heb ik een reis van 59 dagen door Sumatra gemaakt. Wij zijn begonnen in Medan dan naar Bohorok, naar Langsa, Peureulak, Lhoksukon,Lhokseumawe, Biruen, Takengon,Isak, Blangkejeren, Kutacane
Sidikatang, Kabanujahe Merek.
Het stuk van Blangkejeren naar Kabanjahe is de achterzijde van de Gunung Leuser het Nationale park waar de oerang oetangs noch verblijven. Deels is het Nationaal Park van het Wereld natuurfonds. Een tripo om nooit meer te vergeten, vervolgens naar Singkil, Rundeng, Permatangportja, Prapat naar het Samosir eiland, wederom terug naar Prapat, Balige Tarutung, Sibolga Padang Sidempuan richting Bukkittingi het meer Minnangjau en het meer Singkarak.
Helaas heb ik geen foto's gemaakt maar wel een 3 uur durende videofilm door mij zelf samengesteld met muziek.
De reis zal ik nooit meer maken, alleen ik wil de wens van mijn ega vervullen om nog een keer naar Atjeh te gaan, helaas krijg ik op dit moment geen toestemming om naar Banda Atjeh te gaan Wie weet lukt het mij npg een keer. Sumatra vindt ik (maar wie ben ik) tot op heden nog het mooiste eiland wat ik gezien heb. Mocht je er meer over weten laat het mij weten,
groetjes Latex

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Jokebro, It sure is a small world. They say we are all connected in some way and you know the term 6 degrees of separation.
Where does you sister live? I live in a suburb called Rozelle that is next door to the better known suburb Balmain.
Actually I have a Melbourne connection as well my sister living in Melbourne at Moonee Ponds.

I have an amazing story as well, that involves Indonesia.
Last year I learnt of an Aussie guy Brian Williams who has a surfing resort on Simeulue island. So when I got his website address I got Bjorn at Indonesia Photo to put up the link.
Then last year when they had that terrible earthquake the epi centre was only 40 miles from Simeulue. I was in Indonesia in West Java at the time so I rang Sydney Aust to see how this guy Brian was.
Well, as it was he was in Australia for Christmas with his Indonesian wife Dewi and new baby son Dylan.
At end of Jan I am in Bukit Lawang for about 3 weeks and on two occasions go to Medan once to take a young blind girl to be cat scanned and the other time to do some shopping and I go with an Engish woman who has living in Bukit Lawang with her husband and child for 12 months and knows Mean quite well.
In Medan we go to an Internet cafe on the 4th floor of a bank and would you believe I get to meet this guy Brian, his wife and baby.
Now for me that was absolutely amazing.
When I asked him where he lived and he said Aceh I said you are Brian and he was so shocked. I showed him his link on Indonesia photo and we exchanged mobile numbers.
He is still on Simeulue, but was in Medan when the March 28th earth quake happened. I smsed him last week when the island had a 6.1 earth quake but he said they did not feel anything which seems amazing .
It really is a small world.
Pamela.

Iris8
User
spacer line

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for sharing your nice photo's. I have visited Sumatra many times, my husband is from Sumatra.
We also have great memories of Lake Maninjau.
In two months time we will return to live in Indonesia with our two young 'anak campur' . Maninjau is defenitly on our list to visit again. But first we need to visit Medan as most of our family lives either in Medan or in Aceh. I am now gething nuts figuring out what I can bring and what has to stay behind. With two small kids is like we need a private jet to transport the stuff!
Selamat Jalan,

Iris

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Iris,

Wow, going to live in Indonesia, that hopefully will be fantastic.
Where do you think you will live?
What will you do for a living?
I ask because I would love to live in Indonesia for 6 months of the year and 6 months here in Australia. And I have a dream to have some sort of manufacturing of accessories. handbags, belts. jewellery that would be a bit like a co-operative so everyone would benefit, but alas it is but a dream at this time.
I make handbags here in australia to sell to fund my weekend English school for children not able to afford extra English lessons I have with an Indonesian guy Andang Heryana in Cipanas/Ciajur in West Java.
I know Java is the manufacturing place and my school is there, but Sumatra is very close to my heart and I would love to spend more time there.
Pamela.

jokebro
User
spacer line

hoi Latex, ja ik heb je ontmoet op de kampulan in Son en Breugel.
Ik heb toen al genoten van je film die je in Bali opgenomen heb.
Zouden wij iets af kunnen spreken dat ik de film van Sumatra zou kunnen zien?
dat zou fantastisch zijn en hoef ik niet te wachten tot de volgende kampulan.
Je hebt me ook verteld van je vrouw en dat betreur ik dat jouw die mogelijkheid niet geboden word.

latex40
User
User icon of latex40
spacer line

hoi jokebro,
Das goe zegt de brabander je kunt de film zien, neem maar contact op via mijn e-mail we kunnen dan een data afspreken, hoor wel van je Latex

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

85,100,761 topic views - 240,132 posts - 13,728 topics - 33,218 members - last post @ 19-09-2020 21:36 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2020
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

138,803,513 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com