indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

pPamela
User
spacer line

I have finally organised some of my photos of this special area in West Sumatra. Painan is a small fishing village by the sea about 2 hrs by bus south of Padang. Most travellers go north to Bukittinggi and so on.
But what they do not know is that south is there is a little paradise waiting to be discovered.
And if anyone travels even further south to Tapan and then turns off to Maura Sako they will find yet another beautiful area. Maura Sako is a small small village tucked against a hill and is the last village on one;s way into Kerinci National Park.
Later on I will post some photos of Maura Sako.

Pamela

pPamela
User
spacer line

Many apologies but the link did not work.
http://community.webshots.com/user/ppamela1

pPamela
User
spacer line

Thought I would write up some information about Edi's Homestay in case anyone wants to visit.
I discovered Painan in August 2000 when travelling by bus from Bengkulu with my Indonesian friend Bobby.
Bobby originally from Padang wanted to stop in Painan and have a look around, so that is what we did.
It is a real gem of an area and usually not noted in any of the travel books so is quite untouristy which suits me fine.
Accomodation in Painan in 2000 was limited, but we were lucky enough to be taken 2 km outside of Painan to a gorgeous little beach house called Edi's Homestay with an open air warung next door.
It had such atmosphere we decided to stay for 5 days and since then I have revisted in 2001,2003, 2004 and 2005.
The area has been very lucky in regard to the recent spate of earthquakes and so remains untouched unlike places in northern Sumatra
Edi's details are as follows if anyone is interested.

Edi Homestay (Edi Usmardi or Muli.)
Batembak Beach, 2km Painan West Sumatra
Landline Phone 00116275621085
Handphone +628126788881
If in Padang and catching a bus south write down the address and show to the bus driver.
All the bus drivers know Edi so you should be dropped off outside his house, which is 2km out of the village heading south.
Edi's English is limited, but he has contacts who speak good english and his daughter Lulun has a reasonable understanding.
If anyone wishes to know more you can reach me at
pamelajoyfugeRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.hotmail.com

Jeanette
User
spacer line

A jewel indeed. We were there in Painan as guests of the bupati Lengah and his family, in (I think) 1984. I'm pleased to read that it's still a jewel.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Jeanette that would have been in the days when travellers were real adventurers. Edi has a book with lots of comments from travellers around that time, but as time has gone on and the Lonely Planet books have developed, travellers follow their suggestions and places like Painan get passed by.
But in lots of ways that is not such a bad thing because they do not become too developed and retain their specialness.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

An interesting little discussion on Lonely Planet Thorn tree in regards to Painan and other places in West Sumatra. Please note being on Lonely Planet it will not be a permanent post and will be lost. So suggest you copy any relevant information within the next 6 weeks.
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.(...)=1&parentid=0&from=1

Pamela.

rina2005
User
spacer line

Hi Pamela,

I am Rina. I come from Padang, but originally from Batu Sangkar-Lintau, west Sumatera. Now I live and working in Batam now, small island near by Singapore in Riau Province.

I found this site last week and read some of the story which is described by member on this site.

Well, I have just read your story regarding Painan and I view all photoes about your story. Its really great. I am my self never visit Painan yet. But I do like to see all the photoes.

Have a nice day!

Rina

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Rina,
I am pleased to read you enjoyed the photos and details of Painan.
I spent 19 days travelling around West Sumatra in a hired car in January this year with a girl friend from Padang, two indonesian friends from Bogor and our driver from Painan. We had the best time visiting Painan, Padang where my girl friend Elvy's family live, Pariamin, Embun Pagi, Lake Maninjau, Bukittinggi, Payakumbu ( we picked up Elvy's grandmother to take her home to her village), Solok, Muara Labuh ( grandmother's village), Kersik Tau, Sungai Penuh, Muara Sako, Tapan and back to Painan.
Here is the link to photos taken during that trip community.webshots.com/user/ppamela1
From Padang I then flew to Medan alone and spent time in Bukit Lawang, see 80 photos I took there on the photo site as well.
Pamela.

spacer line  

hmm hi pam
i never heard about this painan thing
very interesting,,beautiful scenery
did u manage to visit jambi,southern sumatera as well?
thats my hometown,
kerinci is the mountain,,,most of the ppl are still into magic till this day
thats only a few hours from jambi

i guess muara sako is the correct one Emoticon: Smile

aku tak memiliki cinta, aku hanya memiliki nafsu, telah kubunuh cintaku dan ku kubur dalam-dalam sanubari www.ryanwijaya.com

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi bujang_vektor,
No sorry I have not really visited southern Sumatra except to go through on one of those buses from Jakarta to Padang, did that twice 1997 and 2000, but the trip was mostly through the night.
Hoping one day to visit all that area, yes, well kerinci, just beautiful rising above for all to see. Have lots of photos of Kersik Tao as well but cannot put them on webshots because I ahve reached my free limit. Will ahve to find another free photo website to put up those photos as well.
Painan is very beautiful too and I discovered the area in 2000 when my Indonesian companion Bobby suggested we stop there on our way back to Padang from Bengkulu.
Someone took us to meet Edi and stay at his homestay and the rest is history.
Where are you now? Indonesia or overseas?
Pamela.

spacer line  

hmm...so ure sort of a wanderer huh?
you travel for ur hobby Emoticon: Smile
ive heard some people looking for ancient and tribal stuff, like tattoos
thats a very interesting thing to do in one's life

i'm living and working in jakarta now
im very much kampung boy, can't live without eating spicy sambal hehe
do u like the foods there while ure in padang? did u eat rendang?

its good to know that u always bring local in your trip
thats very important, take someone who knows the area and environment
i heard a few years a go, a swedish went to mount kerinci...alone
and he never be found ever since...

looking at ur photos and meeting you here,it reminds me of a movie
the beach where leonardo dicaprio plays in it Emoticon: Smile

aku tak memiliki cinta, aku hanya memiliki nafsu, telah kubunuh cintaku dan ku kubur dalam-dalam sanubari www.ryanwijaya.com

pPamela
User
spacer line

Yes and No to your question of a wanderer. I would like to be more of a wanderer but I do not have the money to wander around Indonesia for one whole year like I would love to do.
Yes, travel is sort of a hobby for me, but I also travel to gather information to promote Indonesia as it is an incredible country to visit and so far I have been 6 times.
And I have a little weekend English school in Cipanas/Cianjur for poor children who wish to learn english privately but cannot afford the fees. It has been going for almost 4 yrs and I visit the students every year and we have an annual picnic in the beautiful Cibodas Gardens.

Do I like Indonesian food, Yes! Yes! Yes!
My friend Bobby's mother Diana used to make the best Redang.
I can remember sitting on the steps of Bobby's brother's accomodation place in Bali in October 2000 eating redang posted from Padang in a tin.
Can you believe that?
And I also love eating with my right hand, it is hard to believe for some people but eating with one's hand and fingers tastes so much better than with knife. fork or spoon.
What do you think?

Yes, I always like to use local guides because then I get to meet the village people, stay in their houses, eat meals with them, sometimes work in the rice fields with them like I did in Muara Labuh in July 2000.
Went touring around in the mornings on the back of the motor bike, had lunch then cut rice in the rice fields and then in the evenings helped burn the rice fields before sitting down to the best cooked Padang food anyone could wish for. Such fantastic memories.

Hey , had a quick look at your website, very very interesting, really like some of the graphics.
Will have a better look over the weekend.

Pamela.

spacer line  

hello pam
yeah,,,eating with hands is more yummy Emoticon: Smile
esp when i eat sambal terasi, lalapan
but lately in jakarta is very difficult to find sambal terasi
o if i find any, its not like sambal terasi in sumatera
rendang in sumatera is the best! Emoticon: Smile

in my hometown, i used to have lunch in the middle of paddy fields
with nasi,ikan teri and air kendi hehe, i like to play with the scare crow Emoticon: Very funny
hey in your school the kids attend it for free??nice to hear
maybe i can teach english there? how old are they?
or probably i could teach them drawing Emoticon: Smile
that would be fun to do

sometimes i'm so speechless when i see poor kids
on the street singing and be happy with what they got
i got a friend in UNICEF who likes to teach the poor kids under a bridge in jakarta, would love to join her sometimes

my site is not very much updated Emoticon: Smile

salam,
ryan

spacer line  

hi pamela and and bujang_vektor
makan sama jari-jari tangan. kenapa tidak?
eating with right hand is the BEST way to eat.
after my year in Indo, i went home and cooked a huge meal for my family and made them eat with their fingers. you should have seen their faces when i put a bowl with water and lime next to them. my mum who is so totally open minded was like errrr hang on a minute i'm like 55 years old are you serious!!!!
she tried it though and then got rewarded with a fork!!!!
and rendang from padang....stop you're killing me.i'm so hungry and i can't leave the flat to buy food as i have been stranded without a key. my friends took it by mistake.......to poland for the week and the other key is with my brother who is visiting but is stuck out on a boat with a friend of mine, due back in 6 hours..............................................
aduh!!! what to do?send me one of those tins will you?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Emoticon: Shiny Emoticon: Shiny

spacer line  

thats interesting
you are from poland and u tried rendang? Emoticon: Smile
i always remember the movie"the pianist" when i heard about poland

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Ryan,
How are you? No, I don't think Gillian is from Poland, she just said her friends went to Poland for the week and took the key.
Basically she has no key and is locked out fot the house for 6 hrs, poor woman!
Will be Indonesia next June so would love to meet and maybe help teach the kids under the bridge with your Unicef friend. Sounds just like something I would love to do.
And maybe you could come to Cipanas and meet all my students from my weekend english school.

Pamela

spacer line  

hi guys,
i'm half dutch half english born in switzerland currently living in stockholm with my polish friend and her swedish boyfriend. they're the ones with the key!!! and i was stranded but cooked a great massaman curry the next day to compensate!!
Emoticon: Shiny Emoticon: Shiny Emoticon: Shiny

spacer line  

hmm
whats massaman curry tastes like? Emoticon: Puh!

hey pam
my friend is no longer working in unicef, she is working in JCB (jakarta convention bureau) i havent get in touch with her lately
but i will contact her if ure interested to join her network

i dont think teaching the kids at the bridge is that easy
you should join in the organization or people who do this before
and nowdays, there are only a few
recently i began to think that those kids on the traffic lights are caused
of the lazy parents,people who dont wanna strive to work

i'd love to learn about your mission and vision with these kids..
we cant talk much here

Emoticon: Smile

spacer line  

massaman curry is enak sekali mas!
thai curry with potatoes
yummy Emoticon: Shiny

melinda
User
spacer line

masamam curry it's very nice....... spicy with rich coconut milk and pottato's Emoticon: Shiny some time i cooked that cury Emoticon: Wink

melinda
User
spacer line

i know in indonesia not many paople knows about thai food so...... offcoures if bujang indo not know about that curry Emoticon: Wink

ermaroesli
User
spacer line

hi all......i'm indonesian and i don't know what is massaman curry......the thai food i know is thom yam gong...sour and spicy with sea food in it.....also pad thai and pad sea weed......melinda if you don't mind woul you please tell me how to cook massaman curry?....my father is from Koto Gadang so i like spicy food so much......mmmmhhhh yummy Emoticon: Smile

pPamela
User
spacer line

Updated Information for Edi's Homestay in Painan.
Landline Phone stays the same, but Edi's mobile number has changed.

New Mobile Number - +6281374304004

Many apologies to anyone who has been trying to contact him.
I am currently staying with him at the moment and the Tourism Office has kindly allowed me to access the Internet to show Edi his photos and for me to post his new mobile number.
Pamela.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

77,066,962 topic views - 235,022 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,776 members - last post @ 19-11-2019 15:47 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,882,099 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com