indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Mariah14
User
spacer line

Hi!
will be moving to Medan in 2,5 weeks for an internship. Was trying to find some detailed information in english on Medan and it seems that there aint much out there.....and was wondering if anybody could help me out with some additional info???
Would like to get some info on places where I good take a course in Bahasa Indonesia, places to go out to and everything else that is good to know when you are moving to Medan for some months.

Thank you! Mariah

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
When you mention internship do you mean at a hospital? what hospital will you going to?
Pamela.

Mariah14
User
spacer line

Hi,
not a doctor....law and humanitarian aid degree....
The internship/ volunteering will be in an ngo concerned with child protection...
Why hospital?

Mariah

pPamela
User
spacer line

I was just curious and for my limited understanding I thought it meant a doctor.
Also I had had a little bit to do with a hospital in Medan when I took a young blind girl from Bukit Lawang to the Elisabeth Hospital in Jan for a Cat Scan to determine why she was blind when she did not have the classic blind look about her. Sadly the scan revealed a slow growing (20 yrs)congenital brain tumor that has destroyed her optic nerve. A shunt operation is an option, the top brain surgeon has offered his services free ,but the result is fraught with infections and so probably best not to do. And it will not give back her sight and may cause her numerous more problems for her which is not what I want to do.
If you had been studying to be a doctor I thought maybe I could have asked your advice, that's all.
Wow, what you are doing sounds interesting and a very worth while in today's world. I wish you the best for your time in Indonesia. Pamela

Iris8
User
spacer line

Hi Mariah,

My husband is from Medan, so I have spend quiet some time there. Sadly I can't tell you I like the city. If our family wouldn't be living there, we would see no reason to go there.
As for places to go out. Most people hang around the big shopping malls when they have time and money to spend.
Next to the big mosque is an area that is locally called 'lake toba' , it used to be the swimming pool of the sultan. Now there are some food stalls and places to sit and chat, that is were most young people hang out. Later on in the evening people sometimes move to one of the night clubs. In the weekend people like to go to Bukit Lawang (orang utan), it's about two hours from Medan, lake Toba is also very nice it is about 4/5 hours.
Most likely we will be several weeks in Medan half of aug/sept, since we are moving back to live in Indonesia with our children. If you like to get more info from a born and raised 'insider' you are most welcome to contact us.
Good luck with your internship. I have also been involve with an NGO in Indonesia as medical anthropologist. I hope your work there will be rewarding.

Robert70
User
spacer line

Iris8

Can you give me some places in Medan where I can sleep? I'm thinking about a hostel. A place where more backpackers like. Backpackers usely share a lott off information, so thats the place to find.
And if you react, or meaby somebody else, these hostels are they close to the airport?
How to get from airport to hostel, are there sort off Damri's"
What are the prices these days for one night in a hostel in Medan?
These hostels are they close to restaurant area's?
You see, I want some inside basic information, not from a book or a nice webside.
I hope you or somebody else can respond and give me a hand

Thanks

Di Roberto

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

Medan's Polonia Airportis located quit near the centre, you can walk or take a beca (mesin beca in Medan as they are powered with motorcycles). I never did like Medan that much, it is a quite poluted and hot city, but thee are nice colonial remains to see (Restoran Tip-Top) A real nice place to stay is Brastagi in the mountains, can be reached by taxi, bus in 1 - 2 hours.

regards

Robert70
User
spacer line

Thanks Londoh

I come for travelling one month in Indonesia. But in Medan I get an invitation from a dutch company. They maybe get a job to offer. I only wanted to stay a few days in Medan and then go on.
If other people get interesting information, please don't hesitate.

Di Roberto

Iris8
User
spacer line

Hi Robert,

Just read your message, I haven't been on the forum for a few days as I am really busy packing all our stuff and move to Indonesia.
We also come from Holland by the way....

I am afraid I can't give you up to date information about the traveller hang outs in Medan, because the last years I always stay in the family home and not in hotels. There used to be two places where a lot of backpackers hang out: Zakia hotel and Gecko's. The last place is probably closed now if we got well informed. Zakia hotel is next to Mesjid Raya (the big mosque) about 5 minutes by taxi from the airport. Can't give you the right information about the price for a room nowadays. I guess 40.000/50.000 rupiah (4/5 euro). On this forum I also read there is a new guesthouse close to the airport run by Dutch speaking staff, just check on this forum or check the site of Jan and Tuti.
If you cross over the street at Mesjid Raya, you end up at the old swimming pool of the Sultan which is an area with lots of foodstalls and it used to be a popular area for travellers to have a drink and a chat.
If you want to travel by bemo (local mini bus), you first need to walk out of the airport area untill you reach a traffic light, cross over the street. There you can find mini buses heading to the town centre. You need to ask the driver if he is heading towards Mesjid Raya (probably number 42). You can also take a becak (bicycle taxi) or the one with the noisy motor.

We will be in Medan in three weeks, so we might meet you in the city!
Which Dutch company has a branch in Medan? Always thought that Dutch are nowadays not to exited about staying in Medan :-)

Good luck,
Iris

Robert70
User
spacer line

Hi Iris8
I love like this. You asked people who know the area, and they are not involved with any business, so you get the best traveler information.
Thanks for your information, so it all sounds easy in Medan. The dutch company get a 'palmoilcomplex'. First invitation is orientating. I just look around, and then we talk again in Holland. There must be a click on both sides.

Again thanks for your info, and I also think I'll be in Medan in about 3 weeks, so maybe see you

Di Roberto

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Iris,
Wow, only 3 weeks to go, it must be so exciting, but also nerve wracking trying to get everything finalised before you go.
Yes, Gecko's is closed. I flew into Medan on Jan 21st this year and checked out Gecko's, but it is no more. I had stayed there one night in Jan 2004 on my way to Lake Toba the next day.
I was told it had been closed for months.
I stayed at Wisma Yuli, but would not recommend it. Was only staying one night before heading down to Bukit lawang so it did not matter too to me.
Somewhere on this forum there is a post that has a website and I think it could be the new accomodation near the airport that Iris was posting about.
I have not been there but will definitely look it up when I head back next July.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Robert70
User
spacer line

Hi pPamela
I already checked the internetsite. It seems a very nice and cosy place. The prices are also oke, 50K for bed and 10K breakfast. The first guesthouse to try. And also close to the airport, only 400 indonesian(?) meters.

Terima kasih

Di Roberto

codeby
User
spacer line

helo .
tMijn ouders en vriendenen zijn een paar keer naar - GUESTHOUSEMEDAN- ,geweest En daarvan weet ik dat ook All Inclusive arrangementen hebben.En nog met accomodaties en uitgaansgelegenheden,al zijn die zeker compleet............wel erg goed,alhoewel ook wel prijzig. Bovendien vrees ik dat die al volgeboekt is (is meestal zo) .de verblijfkosten voor logies met ontbijt is euro 10 voor 2 personen en euro 6 voor een person /dag included breakfast koffie/thee snack in de middaguren-(jullie worden opgehaald op het vliegveld Polonia Medan..!!).

saskia/charlote v diemmens
Uit -kapusin

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Codeby,
Could you repeat your previous post in English so I can read it as well.
Pamela.

spacer line  

hi pamela, gillian here......................
codeby said.............
my parents and friends have been to guesthousemedan f ew times. from that i knwo that they have all inclusive possibilities/arrangements. about the accommodation and excursions almost certainly fully booked, very good but pricey.its usually fully booked. costs for accommodation plus breakfast is 10 euros for 2 people and 6 euros for one person per day including breakfast/coffee/midafternoon snack. (you'll be picked up from polonia medan airport.
as i said, i'm only half dutch and have never actually lived there so i hope i've done this well!!!i think its pretty accurate.
any good for you?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Emoticon: Shiny Emoticon: Shiny Emoticon: Shiny

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Gillian,
Thanks for that. It is awhile since I looked at the price list and now to my surprise it is in Euro not rupiah as originally. If you read the top sentence it even mentions that the prices are in rupiah. So now they ahve changed it.
Will have to check out 6 euro as to aussie dollars, probably expensive.
Pamela. Emoticon: Eerie

nairan
User
spacer line

HI Pamela,
Everthing allright...?
About Jimmy Guesthouse...My sister was a few weeks ago in Medan and also went to this guesthouse.
The pictures of the house on the website seems much nicer than in reality.
It's very ok when you stay 1 night, but really for more days is not so special as it seems..My sister showed the people the information from de website on paper...and it seems that it is old information...and they are not in a hurry to change anything..so be aware of it.
Nairan

bassi
User
spacer line

Yeah whats that, im now sitting in the guesthouse,
of course the picture looks a litle bit differend,
but realy the pic is the same from now how the guesthouse is real.

By the way, the guesthouse let the service/onderhoud doing for the website by someone in the netherlands, so sometimes some information can be different because they do't created the website in indonesia.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Thanks Bassi. I am going to check it out for myself next July and will let everyone know how I find it. I am not into fancy accomodation so I am sure it will suit me fine.
Pamela.

jantalak
User
spacer line

I visited the guesthousemedan place two months ago and it is quite nice, and has good rates. It has a good location inbetween the downtown Medan area and the airport. Still, my friends from Holland were looking for something a bit more upscale and we finally found it in a guesthouse in the Taman Setia Budi Indah area, a bit further from downtown. Its called Rumah Belanda and its manager speaks fluent Dutch and English and of course Indonesian. There are two staff for three guest rooms, there's a small pool in the garden and two mountain bikes which was nice to go exploring. For going out there are bejak's around the corner and we booked their car for a few trips. Its somewhat pricy, but also worthwhile. If your're staying longer, they also have a monthly rate which can bring the cost down.
Jantalak

pPamela
User
spacer line

Jantalak,
How much did you pay per night at Rumah Belanda?
And how much did you pay for their car?

spacer line  

Lately, my friends and families start noticing my change of

habit and have been giving comments… and as much as I hate to

admit, I may just have become one of the local…. coz..
1. I crave for noodle in the early morning..
2. I am eating less vegetables and fruits..
3. I no longer scream at cockcroches..

hotel developer hank freid is the ceo and founder of the impulsive group.

Fairly
User
spacer line

Medan is tourist loving place containing a number of worth seeing attractions like; Lake Toba, Buktu Lawang, Berastagi and others.
Buddhist temples, Chinese temples, and mosques are also popular places to visit in Medan.As far as your accommodation is concerned, there are many budget hotels catering to the needs of travelers.
I can provide you some detail as; Inna Dharma Deli,a 3 stars hotel in Medan charges about £64.07* per room per night, Grand Angkasa hotel,in the heart of Medan's business and shopping district charges £49.7* per room per night, and Tiara Hotel Medan charges £39.10* per room per night etc

642-356 and JN0-201 certified...

spacer line  

http://www.kotamedan.com/new/en/index.php

Grand Angkasa , very nice hotel.

bisa dicek of makemyday .

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

49,995,258 topic views - 222,235 posts - 13,491 topics - 16,270 members - last post @ 24-09-2017 15:23 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

90,103,153 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com