indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

mark d
User
spacer line

In several places online recommendations are for expat women to fly to Singapore to give birth, which requires staying there for 4 or 5 weeks (due to the inability to fly after the 34th week of pregnancy) Is the medical situation in Jakarta really so bad that expat women don't want to have their babies locally? I would have thought that the private hospitals in Jakarta would have facilities modern enough to ensure child birth is safe and comfortable for expat women. Is it really that bad? Sending my wife away to Singapore or back home to Australia for 4 or 5 weeks to have a baby just seems crazy.

Are there any expats here who can comment?

Thanks in advance, Mark

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

I'm not an expat, but I have been in RS Bintaro (JakSel) a few years ago. I have to say I was highly amazed that it looked even better than a Dutch hospital. And there was an abundance of staff as well. I assume giving birth should not be a problem, however I don't know if there is any price difference, in case you are looking for that as well.

diederick
User
User icon of diederick
spacer line

I find that going to Singapore nonsense, there are enough good hospitals in Jakarta, and I guess also in other major cities in Indonesia. Millions of babies are born here every year, without a problem! And expats, mostly in possession of a -relatively- fat wallet or a decent insurance, can easily obtain the best care here. Maybe in the case of a very special pregnancy or an diagnosed difficult delivery it is advisable to go to Singapore.

EricYen
User
spacer line

I can only compare The Netherlands with Singapore, having lived in both countries (currently living in Singapore).

In Singapore you do get a very good quality of service in hospital, no doubt about that. Also, in comparison with Holland, NO hesitations or objections for ANY help needed, the doctors and nurses DO make sure that EVERYTHING is being done to support and service the mother to be. The service and also the care is really a world of difference with Holland in this case.

But also, take into consideration that if not being a Singaporean, this will cost you between 7K Singdollar to 10K Singdollar, depending on the hospital of choice. Up to you whether this makes the difference?

Just keep in mind that statistics show that Singapore is the safest place to give birth worldwide, so it's all up to you?

For myself, of course I am living here, but in case I'd be living in Indonesia or one of the surrounding countries? Definitely, I'd be heading to Singapore...

Eric

PS. Wish you all the best with the "process" of birthgiving!

Albert
User
User icon of Albert
spacer line

On 30-03-2005 18:05 EricYen wrote:

But also, take into consideration that if not being a Singaporean, this will cost you between 7K Singdollar to 10K Singdollar, depending on the hospital of choice. Up to you whether this makes the difference?

= 3.000 tot 4.500 Euro. Emoticon: Talk to the hand

Wil je ook meester van je eigen leven zijn? http://www.goudenera.nl

Iris8
User
spacer line

Hi,

Maybe it is an idea to visit the hospital you and your wife would consider having a baby and inform about everything. A very important thing to take in consideration is if they have knowlegde and equipment for babies that are born with a serieus disease or in a critical condition. The mortality rate among infants is quite high in Indonesia.
An other consideration is to find out about nationality of the newborn. I know a lot of western women that are married to Indonesian prefer to have their children abroad for this reason.

diederick
User
User icon of diederick
spacer line

On 01-04-2005 14:31 Iris8 wrote:
Hi,

An other consideration is to find out about nationality of the newborn. I know a lot of western women that are married to Indonesian prefer to have their children abroad for this reason.

This is interesting, what do you mean with that Iris?

Iris8
User
spacer line

In case really not nice things start to happens ( like your Indonesian husband dies), it might be a very big problem to get the children out of Indonesia as a western woman. Specially if family members would protest against this. THis is a different case for a western man though or if both of you are foreigner in Indonesia. An the expat.or.id site you can find more information concerning children in mixed Indo-western marriage.

Iris
I just advise you to get information from your embassy and the Indonesian officials.

nona
User
spacer line

I agree with Jeroen said, some hospital in Jakarta they have very luxury hotel especially with VIP room, they really serve the patient with good quality, they have also foreign doctor and chinese doctor.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

84,255,804 topic views - 240,040 posts - 13,725 topics - 32,728 members - last post @ 14-08-2020 07:06 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2020
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

137,427,883 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com