indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > General chat > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Jiejiebule
User
spacer line

Dear forum members,

I understand that some people find the word bule offensive.
When you are walking on the pasar and you are being called:
"Hey bule mau beli ayam..." that is not very polite..

But among friends.. bule is definitely approved!....
All my friend call me bule, since I am white and western... But to show respect all my indo-china friends call me jie2 bule or mbak bule... Emoticon: Smile

~ jiejie bule~

Jason
User
spacer line

When I was in Balikpapan, I was always called and referred to as Bule, didn’t bother me any as my friends told me, it just means White guy or Tourist.

nona
User
spacer line

better bule sound is friendly, especially when a lot of children called my husband hei bule, mister een mooi armband 5 euro

Jason
User
spacer line

My time spent in Balikpapan everyone called me Bule, it didn’t bother me any as its there country and they can call me what they like. My friends there told me it meant white guy or tourist, so it’s a harmless word. Emoticon: Yes!

spacer line  

I think Sepp and Kinanti is right.
Bule is not negative nor positive. It depends on the intonation and usage.
Shuiseng I understand how you feel and I symphatize.
And Rob, I am sorry if someone ever greeted you with that term. Some of the people here think it's funny to say something impolite to foreigners, because they don't know Indonesian language.

WJ

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

Personally I don't like to be called bule by adults as the meaning is 'albino' (kids are different when they see you in the desa and shout orang bule..orang bule.. ) but it is just a feeling. I think black people also don't want to be called Nigger. Another title I don't like is to be called "Boss" it has a colonial air from long time ago. I think most people (on Java) use it out of respect. I always like to explain that the period that white people were the Boss is far behind us. Then we have Om, Mester, Tuan etc. Al these are OK in my eyes. In West Java people like to call me "Nir" which is short for 'Menir', I like that one, it's extremely funny, especially when you answer "menir adalah beras rusak" If you want to know how some Indonesians think abt foreigners, just sit down in a bus and train and listen, act (pura-pura) like someone who does not speak bahasa Indonesia, you will be amazed about what you will hear. It helps in understanding Indonesia better. Emoticon: Yeah right! ``

Kind regards.

spacer line  

dear londoh,

LOL, I guess you have a very fascinating experience regarding what people talk on you in the bus.

WJ

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

Hi Johny,

I have learned that I have an immense tree in my backyard, no not a 'beringin' but a 'pohon duit'. Every morning after sholat I send my pembantu up in the tree to grab enough money to make Indonesians happy for a day. It's like a fairy tale that came true Emoticon: Nice

Kind regards

spacer line  

dear londoh,

Oh, oh. There must be someone indicating that all the westerners have a lot of money in front of you! Lucky that you understand Indonesian.
Or..(LOL) does it really happen? That you go 'sholat' then after that you send your servant to pick up the moneys? LOL

WJ

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

Hi Johny,

No I don't need to sholat as I am still a kafir, but I like to wake up just after Shubuh as I love early mornings in Indonesia listen to the 'ayam' in the kampung. My pembantu is still scared to climb in the tree, she thinks I just want to have a look to the secret spot under her sarong, you know how 'orang bule' are, she does not believe the duit story. Emoticon: Worship

Kind regards

spacer line  

dear Londoh,

Heheh, are you or are you not what she thinks? LOL! Emoticon: Smile

WJ

Mas Rob
User
User icon of Mas Rob
spacer line

Hi Londoh,

Yes, the things you hear when people think you don't understand the language! Up until now I've never been (in Bandung) referred to as bule, thanks to the colour of my hair and my complexion. Often people think I'm an arab.

Still, once or twice I heard people call me blasteran, which in my opinion is a very impolite word. Emoticon: Angry

I'd prefer the word bule.

Salam dari Rob

P.S. Great to have a money tree in your back garden. I'm supposed to have a magic wallet that never gets empty. Have you ever tried to explain the concept of a credit card to a villager? Well, don't. I had quite a few people asking if they could borrow the card for a day or two. Emoticon: Smile

spacer line  

The comments of pinta is right,refer to that word has nothing to do in a negatieve way,as most of them migth thinking.
Pinta has a Bule as well there is nothing wrong with it,maybye her Bule has also a name for her like orang melayu or what ever.....

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

It depends ,
because Siapa (my twinbrother) is not amused if an Indonesian( a stranger to him) call him bule.

Wah merasa tersinggung.

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

sascha
User
User icon of sascha
spacer line

I was called artis in surabaya Emoticon: Puh! Emoticon: Wink Emoticon: Shut up! Thats ok with me Emoticon: Shiny Emoticon: Devil Being in Surabaya, i liked to call it zoo and I was one nice exotic animal Emoticon: Wink
I called other bules also bule, so if somebody calls me bule its ok.
When me gf comes to germany for a visit she will be bule too Emoticon: Puh! Emoticon: Cooool

RienRaket
User
User icon of RienRaket
spacer line

This week my Indonesian Language teacher told me that I should not be offended by the word Bule... But Bulés in general are regarded as silly, there are silly stories about bules in the newspaper everyday over here, they especially like to joke about shady expats... One of the most popular show di sini is the Bule Gila Show (saturday evening prime-time ), everybody thinks it hilarious (for more info on the show see my website rienopjava.waarbenjij.nu - in dutch ).

Btw They called me a bule too, even though I am half-Indonesian. Emoticon: Bye bye

sidia
User
User icon of sidia
spacer line

On 13-10-2005 07:32 RienRaket wrote:

1. But Bulés in general are regarded as silly, there are silly stories about bules in the newspaper everyday over here, they especially like to joke about shady expats...

2.One of the most popular show di sini is the Bule Gila Show (saturday evening prime-time ), everybody thinks it hilarious

-------------------------------------------------------------
Yes , in general.
Thats why my twinbrother is not amused.

Yes it is hilarious.

Bisa dicek mas . http://omsid.multiply.com/

triss
User
spacer line

Kruyfie, sorry to say this but you were wrong.
People in Singapore use the term "Ang Mo" which in Hokkien litterally means "Red Hair".
Ang = Red
Mo = Hair

Whereas in Cantonese, they call Western people "Gwe Lou" which translated into English meaning "White Ghost" or literally "the Ghost guy".

But funny, I dont know why indonesian call westerners Bule. (i'm indonesian Emoticon: Stupid ) But i can assure you it doesnt mean anything negative or it is just neutral.

My Aussie bf calls me Nip sometimes as in for the Japanese Nip Nippon. Coz i'm Chinese Indo and they reakon all asian are the same nip or they call us gook (which i dont like because it HAS negative connotation) associated with Korean during the war time etc etc Emoticon: Confused

Anyway, just want to clear up that Ang Mo and White Ghost terms.

Agung
User
User icon of Agung
spacer line

I wouldn't like it if they would call me bule. It's never happened till now. In Bali they always call me bapak or pa(k), which sounds much more polite to me. Emoticon: Smile

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

I think Bule (albino) sounds terrible, I don't listen to it when they call me like that. Another title that I consider as feudal is Boss, I always add, "kata itu pendek untuk bosan" (boss is short for boring Emoticon: Shiny

Greeces

* actually should be 'bor'

Agung
User
User icon of Agung
spacer line

Quite Right Londoh.
Unfortunately they do call me Boss, sometimes. Usually when they want to sell something. I guess they say it to please me, but it actually drives me mad.

My first name isn't Hugo, neither am I the boss, nor in Belanda nor Indonesia and I really HATE being called like that. The good thing is that it's only done by the type of people I already didn't like: male/20 till 35/long hair/sun glasses/tattoos/hangs around in tourist areas/big mouth/big attitude/no brain.... Emoticon: Yeah right!

JohanN
User
User icon of JohanN
spacer line

Agung, indeed, if you are NOT the boss, then the name is wrong. If you ARE the boss, then the term is just oke. For example, it is used in general when employees of another company visit you (and your company).
Regards, Johan

Begin de details te vergeten

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

Hi Johan, maybe you are (or feel like) a Boss and feel very flattered when you are called like that, sounds normal in your ears. I can understand that if you want to feel some1.instead of being a personality. But the word Boss is also used in common situations for an 'orang asing" as Agung said, just flattering because they want to empty your pockets, you know what kind of assholes (penipu murni) there are hanging around at points where many tourists like to gather. I think this is the case in Yogya and Bali. Here is Solo they use the word Boss because they think it is a title of repect, that is the way Javanese like to talk, I can understand from a cultural point-a-view, but they are just repeating what they see on TV in those stupid sinetron. They are just a bunch of Beo's here and imitate what they hear. I try to speak good bahasa Indonesia, but what I hear around me is actually very bad.When they ask me to spell my telephone number I like to say 08170.... nol-delapan-satu-tujuh-nol..they repeat..kosong-8-1-7-kosong. Kosong means empty and not zero. I can not get that kosong out of my throat. Often Indonesians speak very bad bahasa Indonesia. I think in about 2 years my bahasa Indonesia wll be better than what the common Indonesians speak. At least I'll try to, I am learning all the time.

Whenever (Insyi'Allah) I will meet you I will address you with : Hey Tokeh besar, apa khabar ???

Greeces

hobo1
User
spacer line

The word bule is so common now that it really has no positive or negative implications. Frankly, since I live here, I prefer to be called bule rather than the other local term which I really dislike: tourist! I am not a tourist, I am a bule Emoticon: Yes!

Interestingly, I was told that the term does not refer to Japanese and other Asians.

Hideaway Bungalow in Kuta Lombok - check my homepage

kiwimave
User
User icon of kiwimave
spacer line

I think the word bule gives exactly the same feeling as negro or nigger for black people. Negros however are easily offended as they will look back to the times that they were being used as slaves for us bule (quite a normal human reaction I would say). As the bule race has never been abused in the past by people from any other race I don't think many people will feel offended by being called bule

Gracias. Sama sama

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

49,889,266 topic views - 222,098 posts - 13,483 topics - 16,230 members - last post @ 19-09-2017 16:43 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

89,931,351 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com