indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jakarta, the Big Durian > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

gjds20
User
spacer line

I've heard lots of unpleasant story about it. That as a 'bule' you have to put at least 10dollar inside your passport when you get in to the country. Even when you've already got visa on your passport they will still nag around about this and that! But actually all they want is the 'uang' ....

And they will open your suitcases/bags/ koffers.. looking for something which is not there! Emoticon: Angry

Friend of mine lost one of his 'oleh oleh' when those guys from the douane asking him around about this and that.. while the other guy quietly took the 'oleh oleh' from his bag! Emoticon: Nooo

Bandit!!!!! Emoticon: Angry

Anyone here have similar experience?!?

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

Nope, no experience with it at all, six times entry in Jakarta, one time Bali. All without paying more than my visum (or nothing prior to the visum)

No bags opened or something like that. Ooh well...I guess it helps when you don't react like you do in this topic. Emoticon: So funny

Albert
User
User icon of Albert
spacer line

Showing money to custom, then they will ask you 10 - 1000 times extra then what you offered to them.

I know from a to friendly and scarred guy at costom on his way out of Ind. they asked him do you have money with you. He said yes 5 million, they said give us 2 million or else we do not let you pass and you will miss your flight.

Wil je ook meester van je eigen leven zijn? http://www.goudenera.nl

diederick
User
User icon of diederick
spacer line

Have entered and went out of Indonesia some ten times now, and never had to pay anything to immigration, and my bags were also never opened. Except when I had one day overstay, I had to pay 20 dollars I think, which is the regular fine (off course not a receipt). And twice my wife was refused to enter, but paying a bribe did not help then either! Something else is the attitude of the majority of the immigration-officers, which is at the least not of a very welcoming nature. But, as a generalisation, that comes with the uniform, of which Indonesians -strangely enough, are very fond. When they have authority they are more then eager to show it in a certain manner in a bit oldfashioned way.

Albert
User
User icon of Albert
spacer line

Although it has got nothing to do with immigration.

Indonesian also like titles very much, in Holland you no longer see any titels in front of somebodies name, Dr. Drs, Ing, ir, etc.

Also many companies like to publish their company name with C.V. infront of it. Titels are easy to buy if you have money in Indonesia.
Or at school you must always give the teacher a present , if not.
Tja, does not matter how smart your child is, sorry bad grates at his/her report.

They also like very much when they are number one or number two of the class best students.
Very funny all of this.

But a present like a sigaret lighter (with Holland on it) or Siroopwafels is enough for the teacher, so it doesn't heart to give them something a few times a year.

Wil je ook meester van je eigen leven zijn? http://www.goudenera.nl

Richy
User
User icon of Richy
spacer line

I also know some stories from people who were kept at immigration when they wanted to leave the country. They know u'll become stress to take the aircraft in time and will pay for it.

One time I even met a man (already worked for years in Jakarta) who kept $50,- in his pocket as pre-caution to let his wife enter the country. "That's all they will get toda  from me." He also advised me that you shouldn't be the last one leaving the aircraft and entering the row for immigration. They can always do difficult with the last ones. Till now I have never experienced it by myself.

"Veel mensen hebben een te hoge dunk van wat ze niet zijn, en een te geringe dunk van wat ze wel zijn".

dtotays
User
spacer line

I have lived and worked in Indonesia from 1981 to 1999. For my work I had to leave and enter Jakarta frequently. After I left in 1999 until present I have entered/exited Jakarta Airport at least 6 times a year. Most of the comments I read here are valid up until the early nineties. Not any more, they never hassle me at immigration and/or at Customs even though I always speak Indonesian with the officials
Why do Indonesians like academic titles so much? They learned it from the Dutch who colonized them for 350 years!! And who says that they don't use titles in Holland? Give me a break man, they still use it before, after, above and under their names. They even use it on the doors to their offices. The writer probably was mistaken with the USA where they hardly ever use academic titles.. Emoticon: Worship

gjds20
User
spacer line

On 09-03-2005 22:46 dtotays wrote:
And who says that they dont use titles in Holland? Give me a break man, they still use it before, after, above and under their names. They even use it on the doors to their offices. The writer probably was mistaken with the USA where they hardly ever use academic titles.. Emoticon: Worship

Hear hear!!! Emoticon: Yes!

badut
User
spacer line

They try to get money from me when i left indonesia.
The guy said: You been indonesia 6 month, long time, you have to pay tax.
so i asked how much?
the guy said: 500.000
i said: i only got: 10.000
the guy said: also good, give me that

ofcourse i had way more than 10.000 with me. But he didnt know that Emoticon: Bye bye
Same with my friend that left 2 weeks later. But this time it was his police report that was not good. he had to pay 30.000. Because i warned him what happend to me.

indoboy7
User
spacer line

I entered Indonesia at Soekarno-Hatta airport. I was met by courteous, efficient and a few friendly officials..The visa on arrival took all of 13 minutes.I came with the intent of enjoying myself, maybe my vibes got picked up. I have had a great time. Today is the first cloud on my horizon:.long lines at the fuel stations..Hope the anticipated rise in the price of petrol in october will keep the plight of the common indonesian worker in mind......indoboy7

spacer line  

I've been in and out of Jakarta from KLM flights from Amsterdam every year for a decade and never had any problems at the airport , i found everyone fine.
I carry millions on me , when i come , and have never been asked for anything other than the cost of the visa .
I would never give anything anyway! And i'm white!
(That's a walking cash machine to most Indonesians!)
I have read all the stories of foreigners being robbed , etc , i think they were clueless fools who probably went around with they're money on show!?
Being sensible is the best advice to any white people going to Indonesia.
Just smile and have a great time! Emoticon: Wink Emoticon: Yes! Emoticon: Shiny Emoticon: Smile

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

I agree with you. The last years no problems. Even friendly faces from the immigration-officers. But I know that a lot of people still face problems with the immigration. Don't be too hard on them. They payed an enormous amount of money to get the job and they have to earn that back for their investors.
Also depends on your attitude. If your unpolite or they smell that you are afraid, well then they get you.
Once a Dutch lady was so (over)proud of being able to speak the Indonesian language, and ofcourse the immigration-officer found it easy to communicate and she was fined for twice (including her husband who later blamed his wife) paying uang fiskal (tax). If she just had her mouth shut, probably their would be no opportunity for a good communication, and thus no.....

londoh
User
User icon of londoh
spacer line

I also agree, the last 2 -3 years there are only friendly attempts to get some money out of a white dompet hidup. One of the good things of the new visa regulations Emoticon: Nice

Agung
User
User icon of Agung
spacer line

Last time we only paid with some chocolate money after they went in the "we want to see that form from 3 years ago" mode.

They could also appreciate giving this type of currency! Emoticon: Puh! Emoticon: Nice Emoticon: Puh!

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

77,027,794 topic views - 235,014 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,728 members - last post @ 18-11-2019 23:38 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,844,517 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com