indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jakarta, the Big Durian > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (2 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (3 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Richy
User
User icon of Richy
spacer line

After the devastating tsunami there has been more earthquakes reported in the Asian/Indonesian region. It looks like whole Indonesia is hit by (after) shocks in the last weeks. I read on internet that places/islands as Bandung, Bali, Lombok and Sulawesi where hit by these shocks.
Now I hear from my girlfriend that the Indonesian TV stations are fully reporting about the possibility of a big earthquake. There was even a seeress/ prophetess on TV who said that Mt Krakatau would erupt. Who can give me more information about these rumours. I know that the TV channels are fond of this kind of information as it sells to the public. Is there any scientifically proving that there will be a big(ger) earthquake or eruption of Mt K in the near futureů

"Veel mensen hebben een te hoge dunk van wat ze niet zijn, en een te geringe dunk van wat ze wel zijn".

Jeroen
Administrator
User icon of Jeroen
spacer line

I was recently watching Discovery about earthquakes. They told scientists can not predict earthquakes at all. I guess that's pretty much all the answer for your question.

I noticed the series of quakes all around Indonesia as well. Generally it is assumed that a series of smaller quakes lowers tensions along fractures in the earths crust, making a 'Big One' less possible.. But well.. never say never.

The 26 december quake has recently been scaled at 9.3 instead of 9.0, I would call that pretty big by the way, the second biggest quake ever recorded by humans.

Richy
User
User icon of Richy
spacer line

Thanks for your info Jeroen. I knew that scientist can't predict any earthquakes. I also didn't see the connection between an earthquake and an eruption of a vulcano. Just the news of last weeks makes me a bit nervous of it. Specially if I hear all that sensational news on TV from my girlfriend.

"Veel mensen hebben een te hoge dunk van wat ze niet zijn, en een te geringe dunk van wat ze wel zijn".

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

76,937,086 topic views - 234,973 posts - 13,697 topics - 25,709 members - last post @ 17-11-2019 00:10 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2019
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

125,784,135 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com