indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Other talk > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

sasak81
User
spacer line

If you are a foreigner working in Indonesia on a work permit (IMTA/Izin Mempekerjakan Tenaga Asing), check your IMTA with the Ministry of Manpower as soon as possible to ensure its validity.

Last year, I found out that for two years I had paid for a fake work permit and Skill and Development/DPKK fee ($1,200/year) to Mr. M. T., an IMTA/VISA Agent in Lombok. I am always careful, especially with important paperwork like this, but this agent was slick. Everything seemed to be legitimate: original permit paper with watermark, stamp and signature of the Director of Foreign Workers of the Ministry of Manpower in Jakarta.

I wouldn’t have discovered this scam except that I arranged my work permit for the third year by myself. For my third year IMTA, I brought my old work permit for an extension to the Department of Manpower in Lombok. A month later I got a phone call from the Head of the Department telling me that my work permit didn't exist in their database, thus it was a fake! I immediately contacted my former agent, Mr. M.T., but he avoided me.

Even worse, I received a letter from the immigration department saying that I had to leave Indonesia because there was an EPO (exit letter) signed by my sponsor. This was impossible because my sponsor never signed the letter! Later I found that Mr. M.T. tried to get me out of the country to cover his scam by forging my sponsor’s signature. Luckily, the immigration department was cooperative and resolved the fake letter quickly.

Still, I was holding a fake work permit, thus couldn't extend my visa at the immigration department. I had already overstayed for two weeks. My wife and kids were stressed out. It was the last week of Ramadan, so most government offices were closed. Mr. M.T., the agent, was out of reach. He completely ignored and avoided me. I even went to his house and waited there for hours and days, but he didn't dare show himself. Finally, the Head of the Department of Manpower in Lombok agreed to go with me to Jakarta and clarify this matter at the Ministry of Manpower.

We met in person with the Director of Foreign Workers at the Ministry of Manpower. He is the person who signs all foreign workers’ permits in Indonesia. He immediately recognized his forged signature on my work permit. My work permit was registered using somebody else’s registration number. He also added that a couple years ago a few boxes of official work permit papers were stolen from the office. One sheet of the paper was rumored to be sold for $50 on the ‘black market.’ I guess my agent bought his papers there too. The Director encouraged us to pursue this case in Lombok. So I did.

The Ministry of Manpower agreed to ‘ignore’ my old fake work permit and issued a new one for the third year, as long as I paid the DPKK fees from the first year to the current year (because the agent never paid the DPKK fee I gave him to pay the government, but instead kept it in his pocket).

Now, I’m holding a legitimate work permit and Mr. M.T. is currently under investigation of the police and will go to court soon.

I am not Mr. M.T’s only victim; there are many out there who have also reported him.

If you’re also a victim, I strongly encourage you to speak out so we can put an end to this scam.

pelaut
User
spacer line

Dear Sasak, thanks for sharing your valuable experience by means of this detailed report in order to prevent others from being cheated same way. I am presently arranging my own KITAS (and later IMPTA) and will keep it certainly in mind. Good to read that this sad story finally had a happy end for you. regards, Pelaut

spacer line  

This scam with the false work-permits has been going on for many (8+ at least) years already, and has already been mentioned on various websites and foreigners have been warned.

http://www.bayucottages.com in Amed - East Bali

SharkEye
User
spacer line

That’s a pretty good point friend; obviously this seems to be a great sign.

praylien
User
spacer line

Dear Sasak, thanks for your valuable information. In fact I am planning to go to Bali for work.
So I do need a work permit. Would it be possible to have contact with you for more information regarding the work permit. People over there told me that you do need an agent to appy for the work permit because it is quite difficult to apply yourself.
Reading your experience, it seems that is not impossible to arrange the work permit yourself. I hope you give me more info. praylien

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

You can not apply for a work permit yourself, your company has to process that for you as you and they will need to process through several Departments. No need for an agent, but if you want to have smooth services and shorter processing time, an agent might help indeed.

praylien
User
spacer line

Yerun, thanks for your quick reply.
Actually I want to established a guesthouse, so it is kind of investment.
And I want to run the guesthouse myself. I still need a work permit, right

Yerun
User
User icon of Yerun
spacer line

Correct, but in this case you will need to open a so-called PMA (limited company with foreign investment), or you need an already existing Indonesian company (PT, limited company, local investment) to be your sponsor.

Please note that you are not allowed to work in just any sector and just any position, also your company needs to have an amount of employees to balance you. I can not tell how what that would be for you, but you should check this out before you start anything, as it can will get costly.

praylien
User
spacer line

Hi Yerun, thanks for the advice.
How about the owner of the guesthouse,
can he engage me as the manager of his property.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

50,016,505 topic views - 222,257 posts - 13,491 topics - 16,273 members - last post @ 25-09-2017 13:13 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

90,132,457 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com