indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Jawa / Java > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Ratih
User
spacer line

Hello, for you who interest in Javanese Wedding, the detail of ceremonies, the cultural meaning, and procession : you might want to take a look at my website : www.yourjavanesewedding.com

It will give you much understanding about Javanese Wedding and excited to attend one Emoticon: Shiny

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Very nice and interesting, but I have attended probably already hundred Javanese weddings but never got excited at all. There's nothing more boring than a Javanese wedding; a Javanese funeral is more fun.
I quote your lyrics:
Nowadays, most of modern young couple in Indonesia are still celebrating their wedding in Javanese style. They are usually coming from Javanese family who would like to preserve the culture and embrace the beauty and elegance of Javanese Wedding.

Sorry, but definitely wrong. Most of those who are marrying in Javanese style are pushed by their relatives because of the gengsi (= prestige/status). Unfortunately it has nothing to do with tradition (although it looks like).

In my opinion, regardless their background, everybody could be married in Javanese Wedding Style, even though you are not an Indonesian, so that you could experience a very beautiful thing once happen in your life.

Most of my Javanese friends who (were forced to) married in traditional style, labeled it as a (emotional and financial) burden and did not enjoy their own wedding. It was done to favor/please the family but they themselves did have little fun: instead they experienced it as “being lived” rather than “live”.

Javanese Wedding is very beautiful with fascinating detail, yet in the preparation it is very complicated. Since there are many stages of ceremonial which involving big family and sometimes there are too many opinions comes from the family which confusing the bride and groom.

Because almost nobody knows or understands the meaning behind all the details (of a long gone tradition without meaning anymore in the modern times). That's why they need an expert (ceremony master) who knows the "right way".

A big support and cooperation from both couple family will be definitely needed in Javanese Wedding preparation.

It's nothing more than a new toy of the nouveaux riches, a perfect expression for the new social status of the steadily expanding middle class who wants to show their wealth. Even those who cannot afford it, are more or less forced to follow the rat race to show that they also belong to the wealthy (nouveau riches), for only by their excessive consumption (among others these costly Javanese weddings) they can distinguish themselves from the rest of society.
Read the book: "Airconditioned lifestyles", Lizzy van Leeuwen.

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Just a modern style wedding costs about 20% of a huge traditional Javanese wedding. A good friend of mine told me recently that his marriage costs him ten years working. So he hopes that he made the right choice because a divorce and re-mariage would be unbearably costly for him.

spacer line  

On 13-07-2011 04:11 Yogya-Bali wrote:

It's nothing more than a new toy of the nouveaux riches, a perfect expression for the new social status of the steadily expanding middle class who wants to show their wealth
Not only the so called OKB ( nouveaux riches) , but also people who comes from the "old families "

Salam
A.M.I.S. Surya Atmadja

bisa dicek of makemyday .

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Unfortunately it is simply no more than folklore. The meaning behind these gaudy weddings is completely gone and it has become a status symbol, nothing more nothing less. Nowadays it is just another opportunity to show your so-called wealth: gengsi my dear, that's what it is all about. Whether you're a simple kampung -man or a OKB (= orang kaya baru = nouveau riche).
If you have to hire an expert, a ceremony master who still knows the practices but not the meaning behind it; well than it is time for an overhaul.....

Ratih
User
spacer line

Hi yogya-bali...I think every one has to made their own determination. In life, in their wedding or whatsoever. Its so sad knowing that someone, or family could force you to do what you want to do, and you have to sacrifice all of your emotion and 10 years money for your unhappy wedding.

So sad knowing that a person cannot stand to what he wants and a symbolic status of the family is more important.

I know these stories, and its true, sometimes Javanese Wedding is so complicated and full of intrigues happen among the family.

But in the end, I'm sure not all of couples who married in Javanese wedding has a burdened marriage. I believe that there are still a lot of young couple who wants to preserve their Javanese culture. This is me.. speaking from the positive side of a Javanese Wedding..

marcel70
User
spacer line

On 13-07-2011 14:17 Ratih wrote:
I know these stories, and its true, sometimes Javanese Wedding is so complicated and full of intrigues happen among the family.

But in the end, I'm sure not all of couples who married in Javanese wedding has a burdened marriage. I believe that there are still a lot of young couple who wants to preserve their Javanese culture. This is me.. speaking from the positive side of a Javanese Wedding..

How many procent do you think?

Becik ketitik olo Ketoro

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

On 13-07-2011 14:17 Ratih wrote:
........there are still a lot of young couple who wants to preserve their Javanese culture . This is me.. speaking from the positive side of a Javanese Wedding..

I think it has nothing to do anymore with culture but all with folklore......and that is something quite different from culture.
I personally think that folklore is a manifestation of a dead item within a particular culture whose meaning within that culture is completely lost or became obsolete.

Yogya-Bali
User
User icon of Yogya-Bali
spacer line

Actually within the Javanese culture there are a lot of things which became already redundant and obsolete but it seems very hard to understand for the Javanese that these elements of their culture became of no value anymore and are out of time.

This is precisely the great dilemma of the current modern era for the Javanese: The transition from a rural-based society to an urban society. The old culture and customary law (= adat ) gives no answer to contemporary issues; resulting in disorientation.
That is the explanation of a clinging to old cultural items and habits (= folklore) and a growing orientation, focus on and increasing interest in Islam (religion as a last foothold in a rapidly changing society), the common denominator for the young generation and replacement of the rural adat which has proved useless in urban culture.

A very sad thing is that the Javanese society is running from one dead item (a redundant and worthless rural culture) to a next dead item (an even more worthless doctrine of a religion out of context and out of time).

The slowly declining Javanese culture has no substitute which can absorb "the lost souls". This results in an increasing conservatism in society. In the maze of modern times, "the lost souls" - in search of identity - will find their destination in fanaticism and extremism.

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

59,625,738 topic views - 227,280 posts - 13,610 topics - 18,977 members - last post @ 18-07-2018 21:04 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2018
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

102,798,546 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com