indahnesia.com - Discover Indonesia Online

You are currently in > Forum > Sumatera > View topic

17-01-2015 18:16 · [news] Three more bodies of AirAsia victims to Surabaya hospital  (1 reaction)
17-01-2015 01:23 · [news] Fuel prices lowered, again  (0 reactions)
17-01-2015 00:14 · [news] President dismisses Sutarman as national police chief  (0 reactions)
16-01-2015 12:44 · [news] Alleged terrorists shot dead three villagers in Poso  (2 reactions)
16-01-2015 02:15 · [news] Indonesia to execute six drug convicts  (0 reactions)

Claudia25
User
spacer line

Hello people,

I would like to recommand a gread guide in Bukit Lawang, Sumatra. I spent two months in Bukit Lawang. It is a realy nice little village. I did a 7 day jungletrek. I saw elephants, turtles and a lot of orang- utans. That was a gread experience. The guide Indra, indra_cicaRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.hotmail.com, knew a lot about the nature. had a realy gread time.

Regards Claudia

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Claudia,
I had the pleasure of meeting Indra in Bukit Lawang when I visited there in late Jan/early Feb this year.
Unfortunately I did not get to do a trek with him, I went with Uddin another well respected, trustworthy responsible guide.
However, I did get to spent many hours chatting with him and his friends over the time I was there.
I have made up a small album of photos of reliable responsible guides I would recommend for travellers to use in Bukit Lawang. There are many more but unfortunately I did not get a chance to take all their photos.
These particular guides usually can be found at Nora's Homestay, a lovely homely place for travellers that was built after the flood of nov 2003 in the village just before the Ruko Bus station.
Pleasant, inexpensive rooms 15,000 & 20,000/night and the food is just so good.
" target="_blank" TITLE="Link to http://community.webshots.com/album/354917480HixZwV[/IMG]" REL="nofollow">http://community.webshots.com/(...)54917480HixZwV[/IMG]

pPamela
User
spacer line

Sorry just not getting it correct the first time. Pamela
http://community.webshots.com/(...)lbum/354917480HixZwV

Tuti & Jan
User
User icon of Tuti & Jan
spacer line

For Dutch information with pictures look at : http://parpulo.com/bukit_lawang.htm
When we get more positive response we can give also the information about the guides and homestay on our site but only in Dutch langue.
Maybe with number handphone.
Regrads,
Jan

pPamela
User
spacer line

Tuti & Jan, thank you so much for posting your link, really beautiful photos of the orangutans. Pamela

dangdude03
User
User icon of dangdude03
spacer line

September 2004 I was on my way to Bukit Lawang when a man beside the road signed our taxi to stop. His name was Sonny and he became my guide. He advised me to stay at Nora’s Homestay, because this was build by people who lost everything they had by the flood last year. I have to say it was a very simple place, but it was clean and the location was paradise like. Nora (the not so slim daughter) cooked very nice meals and she asked me to tell all the men in Holland she is still looking for a lover. I had a very nice jungle trip with Sonny and his mate Donny and we came back to B.L. rafting on the Bohorok river, very exiting! But all those friendly people made my stay there very memorable.

Regards, Jan.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Isn't this great, everyone posting and making the forum more interesting.
Yes, you are so right Dangdude03, Nora's is simple, but as you say paradise like with the rice fields next door and being in the middle of the village.
And Nora, her Mum, sister Nani, brother Kelvin, all great people. And the food to die for.
Yes, Nora is a character, wanting an European lover. I hope one day that she does find someone because she is a sweet girl.
Would you have any photos of Sonny and Donny that you could upload to Webshots and post the link here or send them to me at pamelajoyfugeRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.hotmail.com and I can add them to my link.
It would be great for the guides to have their photos here. it might help them all.
P.S. Nora's family lost so much in the flood, internet cafe, a night club and I think something else.
They were a very successful business minded family.

dangdude03
User
User icon of dangdude03
spacer line

Hi Pamela,

I think i have some slides of Sonny and maybe Donny as well. I shall scan them and send them to your e-mail adress.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Whilst we are discussing Bukit Lawang, this one special place in Indonesia that could do with some more travellers. Here is the link to a very postive trip to Bukit Lawang in 2004.
http://www.indonesiaphoto.com/(...)emid=61&?topic=121.0
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

pPamela
User
spacer line

Here is another link, this time to Thorn tree re Bukit Lawang.
Sadly this link will not last because eventually they all disappear.
If anyone knows how to make it permanent please let me know.
Part of it is an expanded description of the previous link I posted plus other Travellers on Thorn Tree discussing their experiences.
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.(...)=1&parentid=0&from=1
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Just surfing the net and look what I found another photo of Indra the guide recommended by Claudia and myself. here is the link
http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/12501.html

While you are on this site have a look at the stories on Indonesia, some well written some not, but worth a look.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

I have had to consolidate my Bukit Lawang guide photos with my Bukit Lawang photos so here is the new link
http://community.webshots.com/(...)lbum/354912564dvtkJh
Sorry for the confusion.
Pamela.

nairan
User
spacer line

Beste Jan,
Ik heb op jullie website gekeken en zou graag meer tips van jullie willen horen. Misschien dat jullie ook een inschatting kunnen maken of een jungle tocht afgestemd op kinderen is te regelen (8,9,12,13 jr) Wij willen met een redelijke grote groep 9 volwassenen en 4 kinderen 2 dagen in Bukit Lawang doorbrengen. Zou je de gids die je zelf hebt onmoet ook voor onze groep aanraden?

I will try it also in Englisch
Please Jan, I love to hear more suggestions on your website. Maybe you can also give me some suggestions for a jungle trip with kids (8,9,12,13 years old) My familie and I (9 persons and 4 kids) want to do a 2 days trip to Bukit Lawang. Is the guide you recommended also the one to this kind of trip?

Nairan

Tuti & Jan
User
User icon of Tuti & Jan
spacer line

Beste Nairan,
Het is al weer enkele jaren geleden dat ik in Bukit Lawang geweest ben, ik kan me nog herinneren dat ik toen net aan mijn meniscus en enkelbanden ben geopereerd en heb mede daardoor een korte jungle trek gemaakt met goede bergschoenen.
Onze vrienden uit Maasbree (Limburg) zijn er nog niet zo lang geleden geweest, van hen zijn de foto's ook op onze website, ik stuur ...... dit bericht ook door en ik verwacht wel dat hij jullie een duidelijk antwoord kan geven, ik weet dat die vriendengroep ook erg houd van Bukit Lawang.
Ik weet zeker dat jullie met open armen ontvangen worden in Bukit Lawang, zij zijn natuurlijk erg blij als weer toeristen komen.
Groetjes,
Tuti & Jan
P.S. ik stuur je dit bericht ook per mail
Excuses dat ik niet reageer in het Engels.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Have just had a sms from Nora in Bukit Lawang and she asked me to give out her mobile number for potential travellers to contact. Many travellers recently staying in BL have told her they are having problems in Medan with guides there demanding the money for the BL treks.
If you are taking your mobile with you, contact Nora when you arrive in Medan and she will organise for someone to help you.
+6281362070656 ( from outside Indonesia) or 081362070656 ( inside Indonesia).
Pamela.

spacer line  

I will go to sumatra this summer and will also go to bukit lawang. I want to do a longer trekking to potentially see a lot of animals, including sumatran tiger. (I know the chance is very small so I wont be very disappointed not to see one Emoticon: Smile )

important thing for me is to have a guide who knows about the forest, and is thrustworthy and cares about the environement and not somebody who isnt interested himself and just brings you to some places without telling you and demanding money all the time without doing anything for it (yes ive had that experience in other part of indonesia) I prefer to go in a small(!) group and camp in the forest for some days.

What are my best options???

pPamela
User
spacer line

HI Bloodhoundfromhell,
I spent 19 days in BL in Jan/Feb 2005 and got to know many people there during that time.
I did a trek with Uddin and he seems to be a very experienced guide, was telling me he has taken people out on treks birdwatching for up to a week at a time. So maybe he is the one to go with becasue of his experience and definite patience with bird watchers. He is 32 yrs old married with a family
and from my experience, a good reliable honest man who would have your interests at heart. Here is a photo of him taken in Feb.community.webshots.com/photo/3(...)2564/354919386CpZodH
Pamela.

spacer line  

thanks! What is more or less a normal fee for a guide nowadays?

spacer line  

and when you are staying overnight in the jungle , is that in a camp, or in a small tent only by yourself (and the guide) I prefer to be in a small (3-5 people) group.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi,
When I did the 2 day trek there were 3 people involved, two persons to carry in the camping stuff, one of them also being the cook Em and the guide Uddin.
So the price of the trek has to cover all of those people plus the food.
I think I paid about 300,000 for one person, but as I was the only one I paid for two. Yes, I know I was probably silly, but these guys have been through so much during and since the terrible flood and life is not easy.
Here is a picture of the structure that is left behind at the camp site. All they do is cover the bamboo structure with plastic and put plastic down on the ground, very primitive, but for me it suited the enviroment I was experiencing.
community.webshots.com/photo/3(...)2564/364399939MEqVrr
Check out my link in an earlier post on this same thread that shows the 80 photos I took during my stay.
Also check out this website www for reports of recent trips to BL. I posted one this morning from a guy Gunga Jim.
Pamela.

pPamela
User
spacer line

Here is another interesting post on Bukit Lawang from another section of the forum. forum.indahnesia.com/topic/278(...)_in_bukit_lawang.php
Pamela

pPamela
User
spacer line

Hi Everyone,

Indra informed me by sms last night he has a new email address from yesterday.
indra-forestRemoved to prevent your adress from being spammed. Click this to go to the user profile.hotmail.com and his mobile is still the same as back in 2005. Mobile is +6281370623121.
2012 now and 6 years since I did this post and Bukit Lawang is a bustling place these days.
Lots of travellers, lots of guides ( some good some not so good to choose from), great fun times to be had there.
Pamela Emoticon: Smile

You have to be logged in to post a message. You can login by clicking here.
If you do not have an account yet, you can register yourself here.

51,396,832 topic views - 223,896 posts - 13,518 topics - 16,740 members - last post @ 22-11-2017 19:05 CET

Created by indahnesia.com · feedback & contact · © 2000-2017
Other websites by indahnesia.com: ticketindonesia.info · kamus-online.com · indonesiepagina.nl · suvono.nl

92,435,482 pageviews Discover Indonesia Online at indahnesia.com